Thursday, March 14, 2013

Westin's New Bed


The weekend before Westin's third birthday (a few weeks ago), his new bed was delivered!  A local man built it and Westin told everyone "Steve was building his bed."  He was so excited since we talked it up for weeks!  I was very hesitant about the switch because he had never climbed out of his crib and he truly loved his crib.  He would lay in there for an hour or so before he fell asleep or after he woke up.  It was his safe place.

Thankfully though, he has treated his new bed just like his crib.  He has never gotten out and will wait for us to come get him after he wakes up in the morning and after his naps.  I hope this continues!

Now on to lots of pictures! 


Don't mind the monitor cord or box fan...that's just life.  :)


His bedding is the Madras quilt and sham from Pottery Barn Kids.  The dinosaur sheets are from Target and the navy and white striped duvet and sham are from Target as well.


His crib bumpers were four seperate pieces.  When he sleeps, I put one of the bumpers under his fitted sheet on the edge of the bed so he won't fall out.  So far so good!  Although he really doesn't move around much at all while he sleeps.  Some of our friends have used a pool noodle under the fitted sheet as well.


We added a canvas and some frames to the big frame that was hanging over his crib.  (I still need to find pictures for the middle frames.)


For the "drapes" I bought two queen duvets from target and hung them on clip rings.  They are about 3" too short but for $14 a panel (on clearance), I can live with that.  :)


These storage cubes are not the prettiest things but they have been great for us for toy management.  The top three cubes hold books and the six canvas bins have toys in them that are categorized by type of toy.  Such as, plastic animals, cars, transportation, misc. toys, etc.  His larger toys are on the shelves in his closet.



Above is the view from his bed.  The black cabinet holds his clothes (except button up shirts) and some puzzles and a few toys.


This is the wall you see when you first walk into his room.  I still haven't filled those two bottom right pictures.  :)  He got to add his three year old hand print to the gallery a few weeks ago (top left).

His room isn't arranged how I would like it to be arranged, but at this stage we are trying to create the most play space.  He loves his room and enjoys playing with all his toys in there.  He is also so proud of his big boy bed and loves showing everyone who comes over. 

26 comments:

Jodi said...

It looks great. I love the bedding from Pottery Barn and good find w/ the "curtains."

Lauren said...

It's been so hard for me to "design" Spencer's room around what works best for a little boy and his toys. =) Westin's room looks great, design concessions aside. I love the madras quilt.

I finally gave up and put those cube things in our LIVING ROOM. So, I'm thinking no worries that they aren't your favorite in his bed room. Ha!

carimarie said...

I love his bedding I have been wanting that bedding for my son as well but I can never seem to find it when it was on sale at PB...love his bed frame as well!!!

Miss E said...

Hi Shannon,
I had to comment on this post, yes I’m a lurker, well blog stalker might be a better term! Anyways, If you didn’t mention the “3 inch too short” drapes I would have NEVER noticed. Plus, I actually like when my floor length drapes are “3 inches too short” it makes vaccumming sooo much easier and having higher shoe molding, its not like the wall paint color shows through. Maybe it’s a preference thing, but I’m a convenience lady and I love that they do not pick up the dust on my floors HA

As for the drapes in general, I did the EXACT same thing for my “window treatments” I used a table runner for my kitchen window valence. I fell in love with a designer fabric but was not paying $50+ a yard for it! I found a table runner in the fabric and used stitch witchery and ring clips and VOILA window valence…. I even did it with a table cloth to make a shower curtain! Yep, I do thrifty!
Love his big bed and love how each room in your house says “come on in” I love you style!!!

Erin @ http://missierandom.blogspot.com/

Bella said...

I love it and I think I'm going to have to borrow your idea of the little painted canvases with handprints for each year. That is a great wall decoration as well as memory!

Michael Green said...

It’s great to know that you didn’t have the same problem other parents have with their toddlers in making them sleep on their own beds. It must be those handsome designs, or that he felt as comfy and secure in his new bed as in his crib. Either way, great job!

Michael Green

Andrea said...

Such a cute room. You did a great job with his big boy room. I love his bedding and those hand prints are so precious!

The Crowder Family said...

I love it! Your decor is always so sweet and cute! I'm so happy that Westin's transition to a big boy bed was so seamless! I hope J's will be too!

Sarah Eaton DeClerk said...

Looks great! When we moved into our new house, all of our curtains were too short (96 inches and needed to be 108). I sewed a strip of linen to the bottoms of our green silk ones- it looks great! You should definitely try it since you can sew! :)

Serah said...

So adorable! I have that bedding on my list for when my two year old moves up to a twin bed, which will be very soon! What color is on his walls?

Shannon said...

Hi Serah! The color is Basketweeve by Dutch Boy. :)

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love the idea of putting the old crib bumper under the fitted sheet to keep them from rolling out! So smart!

Lana said...

I have always LOVED that Madras print from Pottery Barn!

We are in the process of redecorating Easton's room. He just HAD to have an animal comforter. What's that saying, they are only young once...I'm trying to remember that! ;)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

So cute! My little guy has those same sheets. Well done on the room mom!

Aja said...

We just moved into a new house and my 4-year-old has the PBK madras quilt and euro sham and the Target dino sheets too :) We got the madras roman from PBK to match and bought a navy PBK bed from a friend for a steal too :) So needless to say, I love Westin's room!

Julie Rogers said...

LOVE the room!!!!!

Julie
www.thechirpingmoms.com

Alex and Jill said...

Love, love, love his bed! And genius on the curtains!

I can't believe he will wait for you to come get him. That's awesome!

Christy said...

I love the new room. His bed turned out really cute! Love the idea for the curtains.

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky with Westin. Our son Luke is twenty months old and started jumping out of the crib last week.
We took the side off and are using it as a toddler bed.
He greats us at the door every morning!
We've got a three foot gate at his door so he can't roam around at night!

What a cute room, great job!

Betsy

Katharine Hoda said...

The horizontal-vertical patterns of bedding just creates fluidity with the curtain's design. Love it! ~ ilikesheds.com

Tina said...

WOW- I've been looking for navy and white curtains for MONTHS and I literally smacked my palm onto my forehead when I read that they were duvet covers at Target! I am so tempted to go buy them and try to sell the valances I purchased! I pinned the picture on pinterest- I hope you don't mind.

Twana Culver said...

Yay for Westin! He must have been very excited with his new bed huh? I like the combination of colors with his quilt, pillows, and comforter. I hope he has a good mattress under those sheets, so that every night, he can have a good sleep. =D

Twana Culver

Brittany said...

Also if you sign up for groopdealz they have sold curtains like that several times for a reasonable price with several colors to pick from.

Kari Beth said...

Love his room, Shannon! It's the perfect boy bedroom!

toko baju muslim said...


Beautifull photos and great blog!especially for me thanks.

Felipa Barela @ The Mattress Department said...

The bed looks really nice. and it’s just right where it should be. The quilt looks great! It’s nice that he has accepted his new bed quickly, shows how comfortable it is.