Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sewing Club and Valentine Shirts


Our friend, Kari Beth, asked a few of us if we wanted to start a sew club and we jumped at the chance!  She probably didn't know what she was getting into since she barely got to work on her own clothes since we kept asking so many questions.  :)  She was so sweet to teach us how to make ruffle pants!  It took us from 8pm-12am one night and 8pm-10pm the next night to finish our first pair but it was worth it!


I made these to go with a shirt I already had for Reagan.  If you look closely you will notice the tiny hearts are upside down.  :)  But overall, I was so pleased with them and so excited they actually fit Reagan!  (Sorry about the iPhone pictures)



I won't be doing a tutorial since we used a pattern and I don't think the pattern creator would be happy with that.  :)  I had never used a pattern for anything before but this was so easy to follow.  HERE is the link. 

I was so excited about these pants, I made two more pairs last week and got a little faster each time.  I loved this bird fabric when I saw it at Joann's and definitely wanted to make some out of it.


I used the same process I talked about HERE to make a matching shirt.


Our sewing club meets every Monday night around 7:45-8 and we rotate houses.  We met last night and started on a ruffle bib shirt.  We took a picture of our finished pants.  My original ones were in the washing machine so I took the bird ones.  We have a list of things we want to sew.  A skirt, kitchen towel, maybe a dress for adults and more!


Using the same process I linked to above, I made Reagan and Westin a Valentine shirt.


Reagan's shirt matches some pants she already had and I had to add a little bit of the bird fabric I love so much.  :)


Boy shirts are getting hard for me!  Since he is getting a little older, I have to think a little harder on how to make sure his shirts don't look babyish, cheesy or even feminine.  Don't look too close.  I still have a lot to learn on sewing circles and not making my back stitch look so crazy.  :)

Sewing can be so fun and addicting!  I would love to hear about any fun sewing projects you have been working on and leave the link in the comments if you can.  Thanks! 

20 comments:

Jessica said...

How cute! Sewing is so fun. Wish I had some sewing friends to get together with!
Love the Valentine shirts. :-)

Sarah DeClerk said...

I would love to learn how to sew cute kids clothing! I have a sewing machine but I usually only work on are hemming drapes or making fabric gift bags.. very last minute projects!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing ~ how fun! I also wish I had some sewing friends....I have been working on a quilt. I also found the most beautiful printed burlap at Joanne's and would love to make a table runner. I am also going to attempt to make some doll clothes for my girls' American Girl Dolls. I am also going to try your applique shirt technique. I have a few stained shirts that this would be perfect for also.

Alyson said...

Hey there! Long time reader, 1st time commenter:)

I think we may already follow each other on Pinterest (Alyson Zwingler), but if you check out my "sewing" board, I have a ton of free sewing tutorials pinned. Most are boutique style clothes for girls (and a few boy things). I taught myself to sew b/c I am too cheap to pay boutique prices!

Anyway, love your blog! Take care:)

B said...

Bravo!!! These are all to cute!

Mel Tales said...

Love all of your creations! I just fancied up some dollar tree oven mitts this weekend. I love sewing...easy stuff that is! ;)

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Very cute! I think the upside down hearts are perfect, that way she can see them and know Yep, those are hearts! No mistakes made! I have a sewing machine my MIL gave me years ago that is from the 50's. It is so basic I think it only does forward and reverse. Not much sewing going on here! Sounds fun, your group!

Buckany said...

Those pants look great!! I LOVE sewing and it becomes such an outlet for all the creativity locked up inside. Skirts are even easier ;)

Twice as Nice said...

Darling! I sewed in High School and never kept up. I admire those who can. Keep up the great work and you will never had to buy at the department store again!

julie & joe said...

Nice job! I used to sew a lot more. Boys are not so much fun to sew for. I made little girl's clothes and bride's maids dresses in college. I saved a ton of navy brocade from one set of dresses.

Bella said...

very cute! don't worry, my backstitch looks much worse than yours :-) and forget circles! I tried to make the reindeer for Christmas and the eyes looked crazy! ha, oh well!

Julie Rogers said...

SUPER cute---LOVE the idea!! And that truck shirt is awesome!

Julie
www.thechirpingmoms.com

Maryellen said...

What a great idea a sewing club. The pants are just adorable.

Linds said...

I pinned a bunch of patterns for knot dresses before we found out #3 was a boy. Guess I may have to make them for my niece, because I don't think a girl is in the cards for this momma ;)

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Love the pants and the shop with patterns. Will have to pick them up.

I think the hearts are perfect. They may look upside down looking at her but they are right side up when she is looking at them or you are holding her in them. They are perfect.

Kathy said...

If you ever have the time, you should start an Etsy shop selling your shirt designs. I would certainly buy them!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

What an awesome idea!!! I only wish I was living closer to y'all. I think I would have to beg to joing the club. Not that I can even sew a lick but just to hang out with yall would be the best. Enjoy! and ps.. they are adorable!!

shara davis said...

How adorable! I bought a sewing machine and have just been frustrated with it :) You will have to give me some tips!

Lauren said...

How fun - I would love to have a group of girlfriends to sew with on a regular basis. Those pants are seriously adorable!

Love love love Westin's shirt! Regan's is fantastic, too.

Keep up the great work. You make me want to dig out my machine.

Carrie said...

How fun!!! All of your clothes look so cute! I would love to learn how to sew. My mom made tons of our clothes when we were little. She still sews for the grandbabies and I know she would love it if I would learn...maybe I will!