Monday, December 17, 2012

Welcome, Trophy

The new Unfading Beauty winner is #22, Jamie Pennington! Since you left your email address I will forward it to Leah. Thank you!

Also, I want to say Congratulations to my brother, Andrew and his fiance, Jessica.  They got engaged on Dec. 8th.  We are all very excited!


We joined the Elf of the Shelf bandwagon this year and it has been so much fun.  I got one last year but waited to do it this year since I knew Westin would be more into it.  Plus, I wanted him to be old enough to name him all on his own. 


I knew I wanted to do the Elf but also wanted to incorporate Jesus so Westin doesn't try to be good just for the Elf, but because he knows it makes Jesus happy.  I also knew he wouldn't be able to sit still for the whole book so Santa wrote a letter explaining that he was sending his friend to help Westin remember what Christmas is all about....loving others, helping others and remembering God sent his Son because he loved us so much.  I adapted the letter from THIS letter.


While I was taking these pictures of Westin and Reagan, Cody snuck out and put the package outside the front door.  He then rang the doorbell and yelled, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" loud enough for us to hear.  I SO wish I had Westin's reaction on video camera.  He jumped up and said, "Santa is HERE!!!!"  It was precious!  He was ecstatic!



He ran to the front door and was so excited to see a present that he truly believed was from Santa!




I read the letter to him while he played with the elf (and while Reagan ate paper).  Then I told him he had to name him.  At first he said he didn't know.  I offered "Christmasy" suggestions but he said, "how about Trophy?"  I have no idea where he got that.  He doesn't have any trophies and I have never talked about a trophy but he chose that name and I love it.



The no touch rule was hard that first day but he gets it now and loves seeing where he is every day.  His favorite times are when Trophy makes a "booby trap" with ribbon or string.  :)  Sometimes I don't know where Cody has put him but Westin always spots him. 

The funniest thing about the whole thing is that he blames Trophy for things!  I asked him how his toy got behind the chair in the living room and his reply was, "Maybe Trophy did it."  He is a mess!  I love doing the Elf.  It is not really about being good to get toys but just seeing the funny things Trophy does every day.  I can see this tradition lasting a long time!

19 comments:

Caroline said...

Hahaha...that is so cute! Westin is a clever little man. :)
Reagan looks ADORABLE in that outfit!

Erin Mangum said...

I love love love your stockings!!

Linds said...

so cute! Brayden named ours last year-- Bonner-- a combination of Brayden and Connor's names. haha! I love seeing what kids come up with for the names.

Kimberley said...

congratulations to your brother! that's a great picture to have as keepsake! did you take it? :)

we are having so much fun with the Elf, too! this is our 2nd year to do it and i'm trying not to repeat anything we did last year, so far we haven't, but towards the end we'll be running out of ideas :)

Shannon said...

Thank you! They are from Ballard Designs. :)

Shannon said...

Thank you, Caroline. I thought those pjs were too cute to pass up. :)

The Crowder Family said...

This post was too funny! I love that y'all did it from Santa and that Westin got so excited! I wish we had started ours years ago, but luckily both kids are really into it and have such a great time trying to find him each morning. Bryan thinks he's a little creepy--especially when I really hide him! Westin and Reagan in their jammies are so cute!
Congratulations to your brother! What a great picture--and a great Christmas present!

Jodi said...

OMG that engagement pic is amazing. I think the only way you would get me out there would be to give me a big diamond ring! Ha!

June and Jason said...

Such a random question, but do you just clip her bow onto a headband? It always looks so cute : )

Shannon said...

Yes I do! :) I got the headbands from etsy and I get her bows from all over.

Karen said...

Congrats to your brother! I would always feel a little sad for him when I saw your photos posted from your weekly couple get togethers.....where was that photo taken? Amazing! When dId Westin get so grown up looking? I think he looks so much like Jason with blond hair of course. We started the elf this year also ~ Max. My daughter got the biggest crack up when Max took a picture of himself on the copier....hee hee

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing engagement photo! Where was that taken?

Shannon said...

Hi Karen! The pic was taken at Hawksbill Crag. http://theozarkmountains.com/hiking_trails.htm

The copier pic is a great idea! :)

Shannon said...

It was taken at Hawksbill Crag. http://theozarkmountains.com/hiking_trails.htm

Kelli said...

Oh my are their pjs cute or what!

Christy said...

Congrats to Andy! The picture is amazing. I want to get Parker the elf next year. He's still so young to get it.

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute!! LOVE the name Westin picked out. It is so funny to hear these different elf names. So happy for your brother...what an amazing picture!

Lauren said...

So those have to be the cutest jammies I've ever seen! LOVE them.

Kristen said...

The picture of your brother is absolutely AMAZING! What a wonderful place to get engaged!