Sunday, December 9, 2012

Eventful Weekend


Poor Ray Ray.  She has had quite the weekend.  If you follow me on Instagram you probably saw I took her to the ER last night.  Her congestion and cough took a turn for the worse when she woke up from her nap yesterday with fever, shortness of breath and a wheeze in her breathing.  I admit I did panic a little bit.  I called every nurse I knew but still wasn't sure if I should take her to the ER.  The ER on a Saturday night, when I had taken her to the Dr. two times in the past two weeks (with everything checking out fine), seemed a little extreme. 


She started getting worse by the minute so I just grabbed her from Cody and loaded her up.  I still wasn't sure if I was going to the ER but I had to do something!  I called my friend Elizabeth to see if she would listen to her and tell me what she thought (her son has had pneumonia).  She agreed and even called a Dr. friend for me.  She listened for a few minutes and said take her.  I called my nurse friend who works in the ER and told her I was on the way.  She notified the front desk so we were able to just walk right in and see the Dr.  HUGE praise!!  The waiting room was packed.  Her oxygen level was fine.  She tested negative for the flu and RSV but her chest X-ray showed pneumonia in her left lung.  They gave her a breathing treatment and antibiotic shot.

The Dr. felt comfortable not admitting her to the hospital and sent us home with an oral antibiotic and an inhaler.  She slept pretty good last night.  She woke up twice from coughing but went right back to sleep when I rocked her.  Today she is still pretty wheezy, really coughing and doesn't want to nurse.  So I am praying we can get some liquids in her today and I will be taking her to the Dr. tomorrow for a follow up.  The one time she did nurse today she started coughing, got choked and threw it all up.

It is NOT fun seeing your baby so sick and being helpless.  I know it could have been so much worse but at the time it seemed horrible.  I'm so thankful Elizabeth went with me to the ER.  She was a great support and I'm so thankful my friend was working in the ER and got us right in once they saw how bad she was.  Please pray her medicine kicks in quickly and she recovers soon!  Thank you for praying!

22 comments:

Paige said...

Praying she gets to feeling better soon!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It is awful when your baby is sick. I'll be keeping your lil sweetie in my prayers.

Jessabells said...

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that you daughter is not feeling well. I'm keep her in my prayers. I hope you are able to get some fluids in her soon.

emily said...

Praying for a speedy recovery (and for you too)!

Kimberley said...

oh goodness, sorry to hear this! bless her heart! praying she is well soon! bless her lord!

Twice as Nice said...

You did the right thing. Looking a little foolish if a child is fine is so much better than feeling like a bad mommy if we let it go and it really is something.Praying for a fast recovery.

Melissa said...

So sorry that R was so sick. We have been in the exact same place with Brody several times before and it's pitiful to watch. Here's hoping she gets better soon and that her mama can get some rest!

Maryellen said...

Praying for your sweet baby girl.
I am so use to seeing those beautiful smiles and twinkling eyes your babies always have.

I know she will be back to herself real soon. Will keep her in our prayers . . .

The Rohman Family said...

Poor little pumpkin

Karen said...

Praying!!!

Jessica said...

I hope she's feeling better! Glad you went with your instincts and took her to the ER, even though I can only imagine what a madhouse it was on a Saturday night.

Linds said...

that wheezing sound is the scariest thing to hear in your child! So thankful that you took her in and that it wasn't something she needed to stay at the hospital for! Praying she gets better quickly.

Lauren said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. SO glad she didn't have to be admitted though. And how amazing you got to just take her back and get what she needed, as opposed to sitting there for four hours (by which time you BOTH need medication). I hope she eats for you tomorrow--and no more throwing up!

Brittany said...

So sorry she's sick! My son had RSV at 9 months and then pneumonia a couple times last winter. He took unflavored pedialyte out of a bottle instead of eating when he was sick with that. You might try that. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Marilyn said...

Praying your sweet angel feels 100% better soon.

Sara said...

Praying she feels better soon! That must have been so scary, but sounds like you made the right decision and she is on her way to a full recovery.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she is better but I'm wondering if she was just taken right back while my grandson who is 3 and born with heart disease was sitting in the same ER and waiting his turn while running fever and a cough, hmmmm

The Crowder Family said...

Bless her heart. I've been praying for Reagan and the rest of y'all since seeing Instagram on Saturday night. I'm praying that she continues getting better and is able to nurse. Poor baby. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Christy said...

Oh no, praying Reagan feels better soon.

Kelli said...

Praying for your sweet baby and for comfort for you as well. My older daughter was a very sick baby for the first two years. A lot of breathing issues and croup. It is very hard on a mommy to have a sick baby.

I'm Cindi... said...

Bless her heart!!! Wheezing can definitely bring about such panic - know that feeling. :( Praying she gets well soon, Shannon!

Anonymous said...

So glad Reagan is better. There is nothing worse than a sick child. I would have done exactly as you did. I am sure that if a child has an illness such as heart problems, hospitals are usually very accomodating especially if they are aware there is a problem.