Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Felt Christmas Tree


If you are on pinterest, I'm sure you've seen the felt Christmas tree pin floating around.  I first saw it HERE and decided to make one this year for Westin.


I picked up a yard of green felt, different color felt fabric squares, a few embellishments and some felt glue.  I did a quick google search on the best glue for felt and most said felt glue.  I have never worked with felt so I just went with what they said.  :)  It has held up great and didn't seep through anywhere.


I started by drawing a tree with chalk on my felt but couldn't get it to look symmetrical so I ended up just drawing one side, cutting it out and then folding it down the middle to trace the other side.  The pictures probably explain it better.





My yard of fabric made two trees so I gave one to my friend Lindsey so she could make one too.


I don't have any pictures of the process of making ornaments.  I just cut different sizes out (traced a glass for the circles) and embellished them in different ways.  I was hoping to be a little more creative on this project but I just ran out of steam.  :)


I did discover glitter glue while doing this and I am LOVING it!  I want to glitter glue everything.


We put it on the wall with sticky tack a few weeks ago and Westin plays with it probably once a day.  It serves it's purpose 99% of the time.  He knows not to touch the ornaments on the big tree but some times it is just too tempting.  Every now and then I find his felt ornaments in the funniest places.  I found one hanging off our big tree yesterday.  :)


I've learned to let a lot of things go since having children.  Including not "controlling" how he decorates his tree.  Even if all his ornaments are piled on the top.  :)


 I may or may not have spaced them all back out after he went to bed that night.

15 comments:

Kristy Goldman said...

I've seen these! So cute - my Maddie is probably a big young for it still, but I may make one next year! Yours turned out great!

Jodi said...

That is very cute. What a great idea. How do the ornaments stick to the tree? Velcro?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that tree is so cute! My question is actually about your floors though...just look at that shine! I must know what you use to clean your hardwoods! Do tell! :)

Lisa

Martha Carolyn said...

Love it! You did a great job, and all the ornaments you made are so cute! Can't wait until I have kids so I can do stuff like this for them. :-)

The Crowder Family said...

Too cute! That's been on my Pinterest project list for awhile now--we're going to HL tomorrow to get our felt. I'm hoping it will keep Jackson from our big tree too--the bottom third is usually bare because he's pulled all the ornaments off!

Julie Rogers said...

Your ornaments are SO cute---beats the simple shapes that I cut out:)

Julie
www.thechirpingmoms.com

Sarah said...

That is DARLING Shannon! My girls (especially) will LOVE this. Adding this idea to my "felt board" Pinterest board. Thank you for sharing! :)

Giggles said...

Too cute!!

hi-d said...

Ohhhh....this is brilliant. You did a great job. I may have to do this for Maximus...

Shannon said...

What is sticky tack?

Twice as Nice said...

I seen that on pintrest and thought it was a cute idea. Turned out great!

Vickie said...

How do the ornaments "stick" to the tree??

Sarah said...

We made it! The big kids enjoyed helping me to make the ornaments. Some of our ornaments are having trouble sticking, especially the ones that are embellished with glitter glue or pom poms. Shannon-are you having trouble with this too? i'm wondering if attaching a little of the "teeth" side of velcro would help keep them on?

Courtney said...

What a creative idea! If I had children, I probably would have moved the ornaments too after he went to bed. :)

I'm Cindi... said...

LOL! Love it, Shannon...that may or may not have been exactly what I would have done. :) Hehe!