Sunday, August 5, 2012

More Appliques

Making shirts for Westin and Reagan can be addicting!  I love browsing the cute fabric at Hobby Lobby and Joann's and usually pick up a 1/4 yard if I see something I love.  I also usually go with the duck cloth because it doesn't slide all around while working with it.  It is kind of hard to come up with shirts for Westin that are cute, boyish and not too babyish. 

The easiest way for me to get templates is to search "free applique template" in google or pinterest and then print it, freehand it, or hold a piece of paper on my computer screen and trace it. 

You have seen a few of these but here are some of the latest ones I have been making.

Elephants for Dubs and Reagan.  I usually don't even mess with eyes but decided to use a button on these for an eye.



I used a coordinating fabric for the ears. 

You have seen this whale but I just love the fabric and think it is sweet.


After I showed him the elephant shirt he said he wanted a shark shirt.  Haha  So I found a free template and traced from the screen.  This is his favorite one to wear.  :)

Double layer cross onesie.

I made Reagan another bird onesie.  She had already outgrown her other one but I love this fabric so I made another one. :)

I found some 18mo shirts on sale for R for next summer and some long sleeve shirts for this fall for W.  I like to get them when I see them because they always run out!  I can't wait to make some fall and holiday shirts in the next few months.

15 comments:

Jill said...

Oh I love these, you have inspired me!! I recently bought material for the babies bed skirting. Also, I want to make a little bow tie for the new baby to match the girls dresses....thanks for the tips!!!

penneyh said...

I have been making shirts for my son by hand stitching them on. But I recently started using a sewing machine and I am wondering if you use a machine for these? How do you sew around the shapes that aren't straight lines? Is is practice or do you need something special for the machine? I tried one and it turned out pretty bad looking. Thanks!

Christi said...

I don't have little little ones but you inspire you. What is duck cloth? And please offer guidance on successful spray painting. I'm having a time with it.
Christi

Carla said...

Simply adorable!!! You've been blessed with many talents. Love them!!!!

Linds said...

so cute! You are so talented! Do you just hand sew around the edges?

Nicole Rodriguez said...

I'm not a sewer - is that a word? Anyway - I love these shirts!!! Is this something I can do with fabric glue???

Anonymous said...

Could you do a complete tutorial on these shirts for the ones of us thats dummys, lol! How do you get the pieces to stick to the shirt?

Madaline said...

i had the hardest time trying to get my little onesie in my sewing machine and had to hand stitch them!

I made a few with gingham fabric and they turned out so cute for baby gifts! I did a tractor, a fishing pole with a big fish at the end of the line and the babies initials!

The Crowder Family said...

Just like all of your other shirts, these are too cute! I think I'm now going to have to make Jackson some new ones! I love the double layer cross you made for Reagan! I would wear that one!!

Alex and Jill said...

So cute! I love Reagan's facial expression in that first pic...she's so pretty. :)

Auntie Mip said...

Such beautiful kiddos! You are so talented.

I am almost embarrassed to ask this, but how do you secure the buttons? I am so afraid of choking hazards! Do you do anything special? I don't mean to suggest you aren't careful. I am just curious as I would like to make some and the button eyes are a darling touch. It just makes this nervous Nellie, well, nervous.

Christy said...

Such cute ideas!

Theisen Trio said...

I love the cross and the shark! and the cute kids, of course!

Jenny said...

Your shirts are adorable! I love to applique shirts for my 3 boys and I love the shark that you came up with!

Paula said...

I used to applique for our boys all of the time. I used basic color books for patterns. You can find some of the cutest stuff.