Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Annie Sloan Chalkpaint

When I was contacted to see if I wanted to try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I was SOO excited.  I have seen this paint all over blogland and have heard such great things about it!  Irene sent me a book, Old White paint, Duck Egg paint and the soft wax.  She also linked to a THIS video that helped too.


I decided to paint this sofa table that Cody had before we were married.  It is very traditional and I knew if I messed it up then I wouldn't be upset because I have never really liked it anyways.



When I put the first coat on, I knew I was going to love this paint.  It goes on so smooth!


It also dries so fast which is very nice.  I was able to put two coats of paint and one coat of wax on in one day.  The picture below is one coat.


After I had two coats on (in the picture below) I applied the wax by following the directions on the can.  It was also very easy and it really transformed the piece.


After the wax completely dried I used 150 grit sand paper and distressed it in a few places.  I went with a light distressed look.  The sand paper was like slicing butter.  This paint is made for distressing although you do not have to distress your pieces.  The paint just makes it so easy for you if you want to.


I applied another coat of wax after the distressing since this table kind of gets a lot of wear.


I absolutely LOVE the look!  If you have an eagle eye you will notice I turned the table around.  I had no idea the back side didn't have that scalloped edge. :)  Now I love it even more.


Cody gave me the biggest compliment when he said it looked professional and then said, "maybe you should do the end table too."  I really cannot take the credit though because it is almost impossible to mess up with this paint!




And here is a real life shot of my living room the day I painted it.  ;)  I really do not think that boy is happy unless he is in the middle of a mess. 


I've painted some candle sticks too and have played around with the Duck Egg color, which is so pretty!  I can't wait to show you those pieces too!

24 comments:

Christy said...

I love the way the table looks. We sold our house 3 months ago and are living in an apartment until we decide to build or buy. This post makes we want to go to a yard sale and find things to paint. I don't think our storage unit has room for anything else. :(

I am constantly cleaning my living room because Parker loves to make a mess! He hates playing in his room for some odd reason so the living room always looks like a tornado hit.

Lauren said...

My mom thinks this is how I should paint my dining room table. We use it as a kitchen table every day. Do you think it would hold up? Do you think the wax finish would be enough of a protective finish or would I need to use a poly coat? Are you "allowed" to use a poly coat over chalk paint? Lol. Sorry for all the questions. You posted this at JUST the right time. =)

Theresa said...

I'm so intrigued. Now I want to paint something! Do you have to do any prep on the furniture first? What an incredible transformation. You have so much talent and such a great eye for changing things up.

Carla said...

Love the new look that it gave your table. I have several pieces of furniture that I would love to paint, one being by kitchen island. Is this something that you order on line or can you find it at a speciality paint store?

Kimberley said...

wow, that looks great!! love it!!

Debbie said...

Beautiful job! Love the table and the transformation. Did you have to sand it first?

Melissa said...

Love the table-I am about to paint a piece similarly in our nursery. I am a rookie with painting and distressing furniture so I am excited to see how it looks when we're done.

The Crowder Family said...

Wow! It looks amazing, Shannon! I wish I was half as talented as you are! Can you paint anything with the chalk paint? I have a wood table that's more unfinished than the table you redid that I've been itching to paint--do you think it would work on that? I can't wait to see your other projects with it!

The Smith Family said...

Ive been wanting to try this paint! Must go get some

Linds said...

it looks SO good! And if that's what you call a mess, then I'd hate to see what you'd call our messes. It's like a bomb went off most of the time :) ha!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Very nice! I really want to try the Chalk paint too. I have a dresser that was my Mom's and it is pretty beat up on the surface. I think this would be the paint. Sounds easy enough! Thanks for sharing!

Vicki said...

I can answer some of your questions, but first you did a wonderful job Shannon! And first try! Yes, it is that easy. To find where it can be purchased go to www.anniesloanunfolded.com and find a retailer near you or most of us Stockists do ship. But you will want to see the paint, feel the paint and see all the variations of how it can be used over prepainted, varnish, unfinished, metal, floors, walls, etc. As for a kitchen table with small children, I would probably use our water based lacquer on the top and the wax on the bottom. I have no problem with wax on the top of my tables but I have no small children. The problem with most polys is they don't penetrate the surface like the Annie Sloan Lacquer does. That is the key to a hard professional finish, either with the wax or top coat sealer....have fun painting! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Kelli said...

I love it! You did a great job! Want to come to California and help me with a few projects I have?
You are so creative.

Katie said...

Looks great!! I may end up doing my own kitchen table. Ha!

Amy said...

I love your blog! Where did you buy your curtain rods? Love the way you decorate!

Shannon said...

Amy, the hooks in the living room are from Hobby Lobby. I think they are a towel hooks! Then I just used ring clips to attach the curtains.

Olga said...

I really like how your table turned out! I have been wanting to try chalk paint as well. I bought a small kids bookshelf that I tried painting with regular latex paint and it just didn't come out right. Do you think I could go over it with this paint?

Sarah Robbins said...

For the table question- I recently refinished a table and just waxed because I wanted a matte look instead of the shiny poly look. I LOVE it! The key is to wait a full week before waxing. Then, I did three coats of wax, buffing each in between. Then I waited a full week before we started using it. It's rock hard- and people ask me if I got my table at Pottery Barn!

Wait time is really hard, but the most important part.

Jessica said...

I love the table painted that way! Great job. ;-)

the undomesticated wife said...

Oh yeah, it looks much better and fresh!

Brittany {Coleman Chronicles} said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE that! We are buying a new home that has tan trim - I wonder if I could use this on the trim throughout the house? It would save me so much time to not have to sand! Not to mention I'm pregnant - so the low/no VOC thing would be HUGE! Do you think it would work for that?

Bloggerina said...

i love your living room! it looks so warm and comfy. I dont know if its the colors or the furniture but it just works.

vicki said...

Brittany - It can definately be used on the trim. It will have a matte finish to it without the wax used over the top. My whole shop is painted with this - walls, trim, outside door, outside trim around windows, inside doors. NO ODOR!! Environmentally safe! Go for it!

livicreations said...

Where can you purchase the paint