Monday, July 30, 2012

Westin's New Bookshelves

I felt like I didn't even open my computer last week or this weekend.  I have a lot of emails to catch up on!

I've been wanting to build some new bookshelves in Westin's room for awhile.  My talented friend, Helga, made some for her playroom so I asked her to help me build some.  She is an amazing decorator and I love her house!  I didn't take step by step pictures but THIS tutorial is very similar to what we did.  The only difference is we used screws on the back instead of nails and we didn't use wood glue.

This is the before.  It worked well in his other room but in his new room he couldn't really access his books.  It was hard to squeeze by the chair and pull out a book.     

We used pine 1x2's and 1x3's.  Cody and I actually located studs and screwed these in all by ourselves!  If you know Cody, this is a big deal.  Haha!  When we finished he said, "wow, I can't believe I actually did that and it worked."  :)

A close up taken with my phone.

While Westin was taking a bath I started putting his books up.  He loved it!  It was like they were all new to him again.  He read about 15 books that night.

He has much more room now by the chair and he loves to sit back there in the corner and read.

Of course I couldn't just leave the shelves for books only.  I followed Helga's lead and put some pictures on the top ledge since he can't reach it anyway.  I found a bunch of frames at the thrift store.  I liked the square ones.

I painted them black and used poster board for mats.  I framed three prints from pinterest and a picture of Westin from 2 Easters ago. 
The map is from HERE, the middle print is from HERE and the apple print is from HERE.

Before:

After:
Much better use of the space.

Thank you, Helga for helping me!!

P.S.  I'll have to post pics of her house sometime if she will let me.  :)  It's beautiful!

9 comments:

Aimee said...

Love those shelves!

I've been looking at the rain gutter book shelves for Maycee Belle's room but these look so much better but same concept.

Julie Rogers said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it---I have to figure out where to do this in my house:) (Or save it for the future!!!) Thanks for sharing:) Make sure to head over to The Chirping Moms for baby week---awesome posts and giveaways every day, all week!

-Julie
http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

Christy said...

Such a cute idea! Westin is getting such a big boy look.

The Crowder Family said...

I love this, Shannon! I've seen this idea to hold multiple picture frames, but I love the shelves for books! We're definitely going to have to make these too! I read what you wrote about using screws instead of the nails and wood glue--so did you and Cody use the screws to attach the wood pieces together, or just to screw them into the wall? Thank you! Again, I love it!

The Smith Family said...

What did you use to make the little ledge on the front? Ive been wanting to do this in Davis's room...

Alex and Jill said...

I love this because it doesn't take up any space on the floor! We have hundreds of books in Amelia's closet that she has never read because we have no where to put them. I also love that he can reach them all by himself.

Love this project.

Amanda Jo said...

Love them!! What a GREAT idea! I've got a very tiny hallway and tons of books I don't know what to do with - I think you've solved my problem. :)

Christi said...

Love the bookshelves! I had my husband build some for my office area!

Anonymous said...

We did something similar - with shelves like this from Ikea. One comment - if you are nervous about frames falling from top shelf onto child you can use "command strips" (assume you have them in US) they are like velcro that attaches to wall and can be removed later if needed. Just gives peace of mind that nothing will topple onto child:)
Sharon