Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thrift Store Finds and New Hydrangea

I haven't done a post recently about my thrift store finds.  I obviously do not go thrifting as often as I used to but I still try to make time for it.  I love the hunt!  Sorry in advance for the iphone pics.

I found this set of 10 little plates for $5.00 at an antique store.  I have no idea what they are for but I'm using one for my jewelry on my bathroom counter and I stuck one under a vase of flowers.

Not sure what the mark on the back means?

I also found this thing.  Not sure at all what it is called but couldn't pass it up for $1.50.  :)  I stuck a nest in it.  My friend and I are thinking it probably had a mirror in it at one time.


I walked into Lowe's the other day to get a tape measure and walked out with a hydrangea.  Totally forgot about the tape measure.  :)  I have never seen this kind of hydrangea.  Here is a bloom:


It is called a bombshell hydrangea.  Do any of y'all have one?  I'm excited about it blooming more next summer!


I don't have a picture, but I also planted a vanilla strawberry hydrangea.  I saw them a few years ago in Better Homes and Gardens and our local nursery had them this spring so I got one for Mother's Day.  It is like my limelight but supposedly turns pink after it blooms white.  I'll keep you posted if it does!  Does anyone have one?  Has your's turned pink?  Mine is still white right now.  I love adding plants to our landscaping!

11 comments:

Hillary said...

What fun finds! I love that little white tray ring thing :). My little ones are sleeping so I looked up that watermark for you. Those plates were made by the Alboth and Kaiser company in Germany between 1967 and 1970.

Hope you have a great rest of your day!

xoxox

Anonymous said...

The little plates are called 'butter pats'...yep they were used for butter. I have a lot of them and they are getting expensive- so I definitely think you got a great deal on those- lots of fun little uses! LOVE that hydrangea!

Sara said...

The white ring thing...I don't know what they are called, but I have one just like it from my great-great aunt. They used to hold a glass container with a lid that held their facial powder and they used to have big "poofs" they applied it with. My great-great Aunt Addie passed away last year and just last week we got to select some things from her. My mom picked this for me, because she knew it would be perfect on my dressing table. I would say that is what you have, only missing the glass part! I {heart} the little butter pats!

Kelli said...

Love the hydrangea! They are one of my favorite flowers. I have tried to grow them with no luck.

Elizabeth said...

I love thrifting!! My family and I will hopefully be moving to Dallas next summer! You will need to tell me what your favorite thrift stores are!

Emily said...

I love the hydrangea and your scripture sign! So pretty!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

You can come to Nashville and decorate my house next. I LOVE how you take simple things and make them look fabulous. Shannon, you have a gift for styling a house!

Anonymous said...

You can also hang the butter plates on a wall under a picture frame, mirror, or something. They can look really sweet. Hobby Lobby has little plate hangers in just their size :).

Kristen said...

I love hydrangeas, but I don't like the blue ones, which is what color my soil turns them! I've heard you can keep them the color you want by adding things to the soil, but I'm not that devoted,haha. My favorites are the white ones!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Katie Tanner said...

We are going to Orange Beach in 3 weeks. I wish yall would have been there when we are. Would have love to have met yall/ :))