Monday, July 16, 2012

Sun Catchers

Several weeks ago at my parent's house I wanted to do another project I saw HERE on pinterest.  I wanted to make sun catchers with Westin and Colson.  I could never really find step by step directions but I did read that you really couldn't mess it up so we just went with it.


I bought a bag of beads (around $4 at Michael's) and some old bowls and muffin tins at Goodwill.  Since I was melting plastic I didn't want to use anything we eat out of.  :)

We let Cols and Westin (nice sleep sack, Dubs!) put the beads in the pans and then we put them in a 400 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes.  I kept watching them after 30 minutes to take them out when they were completely melted and flat. 


Be sure to put them in one thin layer.  Once they cool completely they just pop right out. 

Notice the problem?  I bought the wrong beads!!!  Can any project I do go as planned?  Anyways, I went back to Michael's and got the clear beads.  Duh!  It's not really a sun catcher if you can't see through it.


My Dad drilled little holes in them and we hung them with fishing line.  Westin likes to run by them and hit them as hard as he can.  Nice.


After Westin hung them I kind of went behind him and tucked them in the branches so they would be a little more discreet.  :)  The one below is my favorite because it is hanging in Westin's dogwood and we can see it from our dining room.  It is eye level with Westin and he loves looking at it. 

I love doing fun little projects like this.  Especially when I can include Westin.  Just to let you know, they do stink up your house while you are melting them, but the smell goes away pretty fast when you are finished.    :)

18 comments:

Aimee said...

Cute! Need to try this with my girls!

And love how he is wearing that sleep sack! So sweet!

Laura said...

That is such a great idea. I would love to figure out a way to monogram them.

Kimberley said...

how fun!!

p.s. regarding the growth chart, how are you planning to chart the growth? pencil, sharpie? didn't know if you had something special up your sleeve :)

julie & joe said...

Cute!!! I have that pinned and have the beads and cheap tins purchased to use with Aaron. I am also going to melt colored shot glasses to use on my light table.

Katie said...

Cute! I didn't know ya'll did that.

Kristin said...

I have this pinned too, but was wondering about the smell. I think I'll have to try it now.

Kristy Goldman said...

Cute - I've seen these on Pinterest - I can't wait to do things like this when Maddie is bigger. But right now it would kind of just be me making sun catchers during naptime. Hah!

Also - my blog is going private. If it happens that you'd like to follow along let me know. I will miss your comments otherwise and will certainly continue following you here.

Megan said...

We've been making these too! Almost daily. My kiddos are obsessed! I did the same things and bought cheap bags of beads at the dollar store not realizing I needed CLEAR so the next day I was at Michaels getting more! We have used lots of different shape pans and are stringing a bunch together to make a mobile like thing too. I love the idea of hanging them on trees. Then I can get some of the 200 suncatchers out of my house! ha!

ChelseaSalomone said...

You seem like such a great mom, Shannon! I love this and I know the boys must have been SO excited =)

I also wanted to tell you, I never commented but I LOOOOOVE your ruler/ growth chart in the last post. I actually hadn't seen that before. We are in the middle of a move so I feel pretty overwhelmed about actually making one myself. I may fork over the $$ and just buy one on Etsy.. ugh. But it looks so good!

Hope you guys are enjoying summer.

The Crowder Family said...

I love this, Shannon! What a fun thing for Westin and Colson to make! I originally pinned this idea from you a few weeks ago, but today, I pinned yours! I can't wait to make these with our kiddos!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Beautiful and sounds simple!

Christi said...

How cute! My daughter would love to make this. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Ok, adding this one to the list too! So adorable :)

Kati @ "along for the ryde..." said...

You are seriously so cute...getting the wrong beads! I've seen these before, but now I really want to make them! Smart thinking getting old stuff from GW! Thanks for sharing! =)

Jill said...

I would totally do something like buy the wrong beads....can't wait to try this with my girls. Thanks for suggestion!!!

I'm Cindi... said...

Of course he likes to run by and hit them! LOL! What a super cute project that even little littles can do! :)

Carrie said...

Doing this with my niece and nephew when they come to visit next weekend!

Courtney said...

They turned out really cute!