Friday, July 13, 2012

Over Sized Growth Chart

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!  It was a great day. 

I have so many posts I want to write!  We have done some major changes in the house including the board and batten in the dining room and painting our master bedroom.  I got side tracked with THIS book and now I'm reading THIS book. 

I bet you have all seen the over sized rulers on pinterest and really just all over the internet.  I love them!  So several weeks ago when I was in Little Rock I had my Dad pick up a pine 1x8 that was 6' long. 


He started out showing me how to sand it with the sander but he quickly took over.  I was reminded of all those science projects in school that turned into his projects because he enjoys them and he is a perfectionist.  :)  At least I always got good grades on them! 


I used a wax with polyurethane in it that my Dad already had. 


I put two coats on it with a light sand in between the coats. 


I measured every inch and made a pencil mark. 


It sat this way for about a week because I was nervous about painting the lines.  During that time I read Erin's post HERE where she used a Sharpie.  Perfect!

I copied Erin again by printing out numbers and then tracing over them with a ball point pen.  It leaves a slight indention in the wood that you can fill in with a Sharpie.  The pictures below speak for themselves.




I thought I would hang it here:


But we ended up hanging it by the French doors.  I love it here.  You can see when you walk in the garage door or the front door.  I love how the wood compliments the bamboo shades too.


I haven't transferred Westin's measurements from the closet door frame yet but I will soon.  My favorite thing about this is that we will take it with us if we ever move. 


P.S.  Did you notice anything funny about this?  I accidentally made the numbers going the wrong way!  If you hold a ruler up on it's side, the numbers are sideways.  Oh well, I'm not re-doing it and I really am happy with it this way.

27 comments:

Just A Mommy said...

I actually like the numbers the way you did it better personally. Enough that I think I might steal that idea!! :D

Andrea said...

it looks awesome! you did a great job! what a fun thing to have.

Karen said...

Love it! I also love the way the numbers are.

Melissa said...

I got lost in Coming Home as well…it's easy to do : )

Love the projects too!

Jenny said...

Love the ruler and I love love Karen Kingsbury!
Coming Home was so so sad, but a great ending for the Baxter's.

The Smith Family said...

Ive been wanting to do this! So cute!

Twice As Nice Lettering said...

My son in law made this for our grandson Crew. So cute. I think he put the numbers the other way! HA It doesn't matter.

When you said you just got done with a book I thought it was going to be 50 Shades of Grey. I haven't read them but they seem to be the talk of the town.

I have 3 books I want you to read, all by the same author, Harry Bernstein. They are actually his life story broken down in 3 books. While he was always a writer, he didn't get his first book published until he was around 94!! I still need to read the last one. I think I have it somewhere but can't find it. I may have to pay and get it on my kindle.

They are 1- The Invisible Wall 2. The Dream 3. The Golden Willow. You will absolutely LOVE them.

Rk Zamora said...

I love ruler! I like the numbers better the way you did them.

The Brewers said...

Love it! That has been on my to do list for a while now. I love the idea that you can take it with you! Great job! And I personally like the numbers that way!

Kimberley said...

love it!! and have been wanting to make one myself! i actually like the way your numbers are facing. makes it easier to read measurements :) great job!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I also love your wooden boxes. Could you tell me again where you ordered those from? I know you mentioned it before but I can't remember. Thanks!!

Kelli said...

Great job. I like the numbers just how they are.

Maryellen said...

That is so cool ! I love it. It looks so real . . .

Sarah Robbins said...

I love Karen Kingsbury. I have that same ruler pinned, and I'm glad it looks easy. I'd do my numbers that way too.

Aimee said...

I've had this pinned for the longest time. I've wanted to do it but painting the lines and numbers made me nervous! So glad to see your version first! Love it!

Snips And Snails and Piggy Tails said...

This is absolutely adorable, and you made it seem sooo easy!!!

I think I actually like the numbers better the way you did them.

What lengths did you make the varying marks (for the measurements on the ruler)? Also, do you remember what font and size you used on the numbers?

I am so excited to make one of these now!!!

Courtney said...

Shannon, I LOVE it! Looks just like something you would see in a Pottery Barn magazine. Great job! How do you make your projects look so easy?!

Carrie said...

LOVE this! And I like how you did the numbers...you can see them so much better that way. I'm adding this to my long list of crafts that I really want to do!

hi-d said...

That looks GREAT! Oh man...I really need to do something like this for Maximus. We haven't marked anything for his height...just get what we get at the Doctor. Hmmm...Maybe your Dad and you could mass produce these? heehee...

p.s. Happy 30th!!!

Mel Tales said...

Awesome! I think I may just have to copy you! :) LOVE THIS!

The Crowder Family said...

I think I told you this before, but I like the numbers your way better! This morning, Jackson used his red crayon on ours! Luckily, they're the washable kind!I love how your Dad helped--too cute!! I also love where you hung it! It looks perfect!

Jodi said...

Very cute. I like that you can take it w/ you. I think it looks nice w/ the numbers the way you did it!

Alex and Jill said...

Okay, I've been eyeing these on FB for months...LOVE!!! Love that y'all made your own. I haven't wanted to break down and pay for one yet. LOL

Steph said...

I love it too, great idea. Looking at your picture though, did you make sure to hang it so that the 1 foot mark is exactly one foot from the floor? It just doesn't look like it from the pic and I wouldn't want my kid's measurements to be off! Just a thought :) Maybe you did and I can't tell!

Lisa said...

This is the cutest thing I have seen in a while!!!! I wish I had had this when my son was smaller - he is 9 and 1/2 now.

I am a former teacher and I think it would be great in a kindergarten or lower elementary classroom too :-)

Shannon said...

The short marks are 1", the 3 inch marks are 3" and the longer marks are 4.5". I hope that helps! I have no idea what the font was. I just scrolled through until I found one I liked and printed it out in different sizes to see what fit the best. I think it was around size 350 or something. :)

Anonymous said...

We don't read the numbers sideways when it is hanging.

So, your way ROCKS! It look FABULOUS.