Monday, July 23, 2012

Dining Room Before and After

So the weekend of my birthday, my Dad put up board and batten in our dining room.  I love the brown walls (Mudslide from Lowe's) but I was wanting to lighten it up a tad.  I love the board and batten in Reagan's room so my Dad put it up just like hers.  You can find that tutorial HERE. 

Can you believe our Lowe's does not sell cabinet grade 1/2" sandply plywood anymore?  Home Depot does and they even did all of our cuts for free! 

There is not much to talk about so I will let the pictures speak for themselves. 

BEFORE

AFTER
 BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER
I'm still trying to decide if I want to hang the chalkboard up in here again.  I love that chalkboard!

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER


Looking in from the living room.  I absolutely love how this transformed our dining room!  I think it really "grounds" the space and it is such an inexpensive treatment.  It took 2 sheets of plywood at $35 each, 2 tubes of caulk, paint (which we already had half a gallon from Reagan's room) and we added a decorative trim at top.  Total we only spent about $120.

Here is an up close picture of the decorative trim. 

Our "decorative trim piece" is actually base cap (that Lowe's did have!) that we turned upside down to form a little ledge at the top.  Base cap is made to go on top of baseboards.  I liked it so much that we added it to Reagan's board and batten too.  It really finishes it off.  By the way, I love how I say "we" like I had anything to do with this.  My Dad did it all.  :)


A BIG thank to to my Dad for doing this and to both my parents for helping me paint it!  Not bad for a Saturday morning project.  :)

P.S.  Cody was actually working at his real job this Saturday so he would have been helping too if had been home.  :)

31 comments:

Angie said...

Shannon,
It is SO beautiful!! I love it! It looks like it would cost SO much money! Thanks the all the info too we might have to try this!

tigerchick said...

Lovely and inspirational... ThAnks so much for sharing... I continue to love your blog.

Carie said...

Love it! My husband is going to be so upset when I make him do this in our daughter's room!

Kimberley said...

love it!! looks great!! love the curtains too!

Erin and Ryan said...

Wow! I love this! I'll definitely be using your tutorial when we have a nursery to design :)

Megan said...

Shannon it looks awesome! I was trying to explain to my husband the height I wanted to put in our dining room and this picture is exactly what I was thinking. It is so bright and cheery and is definitely beautiful!

The Java Mama said...

It looks amazing I love it!

Blanca said...

Awesome transformation!!!

Theresa said...

That looks great! It really brightens the room. Your family is so darn handy!!

Anonymous said...

Love, love this dining room. Could you please share the color of the dining room? Love that brown color.

Shannon said...

The color is mudslide From lowes. I shared that in the post. :)

Happiness Is... said...

It looks really good! I love how high it is, too (versus chair rail height)

The Crowder Family said...

Love, love, love it!! It really makes your dining room even prettier than it already was! Thanks for the tutorial and tips!

Aimee said...

I love this! I've been wanting to do this in a room in our house but haven't got around to it.

It's also so crazy how similar the paint colors are in our houses. My living room is almost that exact color and my master bedroom and Maycee's room are almost that exact dark brown!

Oh, and love that chalk board too!

Christy said...

It looks great. I can't believe how large it makes the room look.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

It looks amazing! And you have THE cutest handwriting! I am always amazed when I see your chalkboard projects. :)

Julie Rogers said...

LOVE this---can you send your dad here?! Ha Ha!!! That's awesome, so jealous!

-Julie
http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

Morgan Smith said...

love the character this project added to your home!! and would you mind sharing where you found the curtains? or where you found the big check fabric? thanks!

Brittany said...

Looks great!

Morgan Smith said...

thanks for the fabric finding tip :)

Kari Beth said...

You amaze me!!! Looks wonderful :)

Sarah said...

I love it! One request (per my hubs, I'm showing him the pics): could you add a close up pic of the way the boards look as they attach to the baseboards and a close up of the bottom of the window, just to see how your dad finished it off? Thank you SO MUCH, Shannon! It's so, so pretty!

Sarah Robbins said...

It looks so good! I'm totally in love with your curtains; where did you get them?

Kelli said...

Love it! I think the chaldboard would look nice in there.
I really like your curtains

julie & joe said...

Looks great!!!! We put beadboard at that height in our dining room. I am ready to change the color above, I used cranberry and it's too much.

We went to Oops! on Friday. Amazing how quickly you can go through when you are child free.

Christi said...

Love it. Your family and you are so talented.

Christi

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your dining room is beautiful! Your Dad did a great job! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

It looks amazing. Totally changes your dining room. Thanks for the tutorial on it, too.

Olga said...

Very nice! I really like the hieght you went with. It looks very classic. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! I love your blog and you always inspire me =)

madonna said...

hi, I am getting ready to do board and batten in my dining room and my daughter told me to look at your blog for instructions, it is beautiful and just what I want to do. I cannot find your tutorial in here though, the 'click here' does not let you click and I found another place in the blog, but there are no pictures. is your tutorial gone, and how high are your ceilings. I love the height of your board and batten and just want to make sure my ceilings would be high enough. thanks,

Shannon said...

Hi! Email me at row35401@yahoo and I can send you some pictures. I'm not sure where my pictures went. :(