Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July Festivities Part 2

On Tuesday some girls from our small group took our kids to a nursing home to pass out 4th of July goodies.  So the day before Westin painted some stars.  We made them just like we did the Valentine's hearts.

Getting this boy to paint more than a line is like pulling teeth.  I told my mom that Reagan was going to be creative if it killed me! haha!  Maybe Westin is just too busy to be bothered with projects.  :)


After what felt like forever, we had 5 pieces of paper painted in red and blue.


I free-handed a star template and traced them on the back of the paper.  I got 4 per page.


I forgot to take a picture of the finished product so I snapped one in my car before we went in.


Sweet boy waiting to go in.

He's showing me the star he made.  Have y'all noticed his boots?  I ordered them from Zulily and he has not taken them off since we got them in.  He puts them on first thing in the morning and only takes them off for nap, bath and bed.  He wears them everywhere!

Reagan, Westin, Zach, Colson, Parker, Payton, Adeline and Annabel.

The kids always have so much fun doing this!  The residents just light up to see children and I love hearing Westin talking to them.  We are already looking forward to our next visit!

17 comments:

Brittney said...

Ha! Super cute stars!

My 5 year old son can never be bothered to do ANYTHING artsy. He doesn't want to stop being "on the go" to sit and be creative!

My 4 year old daughter on the other hand, will sit down to color or paint or do just about anything she can find!

Anonymous said...

I have 4 boys and have never been able to get them to sit and color or do a project for more than 5 minutes...and that 5 minutes is complete torture. I'm very crafty and it kills me. On the other hand, there is very little drama in my house which I love. I can also ship them outdoors for hours and they don't need any entertainment.
Good for you for taking the little ones to the nursing home. I'm sure the residence LOVE seeing all the little faces and the crafts.

The Crowder Family said...

Shut up! I love his boots! Too cute! I got Jackson a pair from Target months ago--on clearance--they're too big right now, but I can't wait for him to wear them one day. All boys need rainboots!
The stars are super cute too! What a sweet idea to take goodies to the nursing home!

Melissa said...

What a sweet idea! I know that the kids make the residents' day-Love the boots : )

Carla said...

Just precious!! I love his boots. My son had a pair that he wore everywhere when he was that age, however they didn't coordinate with everything like your son's did yesterday. I thought he looked very patriotic.

emily said...

What a wonderful idea. I'm sure the folks at the nursing home love seeing y'all!

Twice as Nice said...

HA! I noticed in the pictures yesterday that Westin had boots on. Kids are so cute at that age. Love the stars.

Christy said...

I love the boots! I need to buy Parker a pair. He is going through a phase where he will not take his crocks off. I have to take them off after he falls asleep.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

This is probably the dumbest comment EVER, but I can't believe you free-handed those stars! I did a star banner for the 4th and I totally had to trace templates from the internet because mine looked like a kindergartener! lol

Jodi said...

I think it is so sweet that you visit the nursing home residents. It is such a great thing to teach your children from a young age. I work in a hospital w/ alot of older patients and they love visitors especially kids (and dogs from our pet therapy program)!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I was wondering what kind of stroller you have?
Thanks!

Kimberley said...

i think that is one of the kindest things you can do, what a big heart you all have!!

love his boots, too!!

Maryellen said...

How great - what a blessing for the senior folks and what great learning experiences for the children. Teaching them compassion and giving is just wonderful. The stars looked awesome he did a great job.

Christy said...

I ordered Parker a pair of the Elmo rain boots from Zulily! He is going to be so excited.

Shannon said...

We have the Britax B-Ready double stroller. In the picture in this post Westin's seat wasn't on.

Kelli said...

Love the stars..what a great idea!!
Have a nice weekend!

Alex and Jill said...

Oh the boots...love him! LOL