Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Thrift Store Finds and Cabinet Update

I had a great idea (or a temporary loss of sanity) the other day to load up the double stroller and go to a thrift store!  :)  They actually did great and Westin even picked out two huge trucks to play with in the backyard for a dollar each.  He was a happy camper while I shopped.
I picked up these two frames, this wooden thing and the two trucks for six dollars.  I'm not sure what the wooden thing it is but it reminded me of a small version of a tobacco basket.  It has a small hook on the back like someone had it hanging on their wall.  That's what I thought I would do with it too but I decided to put it in our china cabinet in our kitchen.  It was time for an updated look in there.

Before:

After:


This cabinet is my all time favorite garage sale find.  I found it before we were married but knew it was too good to pass up. 


 "My children are a blessing" card I printed out from Jones Design Company.

Here are a few more corners in my kitchen.  This is behind the sink.  Another thrift store silver tray chalkboard with some candles and a live fern.
I painted one of the frames this yellow color and printed out this fun printable from HERE.  I love that it looks like a chalkboard.  :)  It is probably not staying here but I'm enjoying it here for now.

17 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The wooden thing is the lid of a bushel basket. The only reason I know is I recently bought a bushel basket with the lid still with it. I bought it for the same reason you did...because it looks like those really cool tobacco baskets. My little guy loves to play with trucks at the thrift store too. :)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Could you share where you got the "Keep Calm" print in your kitchen? I teach piano and voice so that would go great in my house! :)

Carla said...

I love your blog!! Your decorating style is what I would love for mind to be however I fill like I am overwhelmed with personal photos. How do you choose what to keep out and not. Of course my kids are in High school but I still want some of the younger year photos on display. Where are yours??? I've seen them. Do you have a rule of thumb as to where you have personal photos and how many???

Tara said...

I love shopping at thrift stores. I always seem to find the best things when i'm "just looking". Love the decorations; it looks great.

The Lambert's said...

Love all your printables and your antique but modern decor! I really wish I could go that route with our home but I have too much gypsy in my blood ha!

Brooke said...

Love your style. Enjoy reading your blog!

Carrie said...

LOVE the china cabinet and how you decorated it!!!!!

Theresa said...

You have such an amazing eye for accessorizing. I love how you can take something that already looks great, add something new, mix it up, and make it look even better!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Sounds like you got some great deals. I really like that lid in you cabinet, very pretty.

Kristy Goldman said...

The cabinet looks great, and I am impressed you're already out and about with two little ones... and doing all the projects you're posting about. I need to step it up! Haha.

julie & joe said...

Looks great! I love the basket lid in your cabinet. some of those can be really old and have locations of stores printed on them. My dad has several that were from local businesses.

I love thrift stores and I have several that I visit in the 4 counties I cover for work. You never know what you will find.

Julie Rogers said...

What great additions;) Looks like we would get along with a love for other people's "junk"! And I also love your backyard storage idea---might have to borrow that (if I can get my husband to okay drilling holes in the fence)!

Kristen and Andy said...

You found some great deals!!! I have been getting the itch to hit up some resale stores again.....just gotta psyche myself up to take my 2 kids anywhere like that...especially Cannon - he is such a handful - don't know how you do it with a 2 year old and a newborn!!!

Vickie said...

Love the new addition to your beautiful cabinet. Something that caught my eye is the "spoon" plate holder. Could you show it to us?? Did you make it?? or Buy it?? I wonder if I could make one......

Happiness Is... said...

You always find the best stuff! Love the addition to the cabinet, as well as the new print!

Laura said...

Love all the goodies you found. Thrifting is so much fun. I think I like the hunt more than the actual items I pick up. ha!

Melissa Miller said...

That looks so precious Shannon!