Friday, June 8, 2012

Organizing School Work

I saw THIS project on pinterest a long time ago and have had it on my mind ever since.  I knew it was a great way to pair down and organize all the papers and artwork Westin (and Reagan) will be bringing home from school.  I am definitely not a saver so I don't have trouble throwing away Westin's coloring pages but there are some things I want to keep.  Now I will have it all in one place.


I bought a plastic file box and hanging folders from Office Depot and printed off THESE cover sheets.

They have a spot for your child's name, school year, teacher's name, and school name.  I also like that it has a place for their school picture. 

Oh my word, I crack up laughing every time I look at this picture!  His hair is so wind blown and he looks so tired and mad.  Hahaha!  I attached his picture with photo corners just in case I every want to take the picture off.
I went ahead and printed off 32 cover sheets (for Reagan too) and taped them on the front of the hanging folders.

This is all I'm keeping from his first year of MDO.  Teacher's notes, hand print and foot print art, his "report card" from the first and last day of school, his pictures from the first and last day, a photo album his teachers made of him through out the year, my blog post about his last day and his coloring sheet of the zebra.  I am not kidding when I say those blue scribbles on the zebra is the most he has ever colored on a page.  Every picture they sent home always had a straight line down the middle of the page and that was it.  Haha!  He is all boy.

I love this system.  It keeps the clutter down, forces me to be picky about what I keep and the best part is that it will have everything in one place.  His future wife will thank me one day.  ;) Ha!

14 comments:

Linds said...

this is genius!

The Crowder Family said...

This looks great, Shannon! I actually already have binders for Sarah's work, but I'm going to switch to this system. Months ago, I pinned this one too--now I just have to do it! I need to be more like you though, because I tend to save everything! Ha! I love the picture of little Westin too!

Jen said...

SO CLEVER!! I feel guilty every time I throw away something Caroline brings home from pre-school. She even found a few random coloring pages in the trash once and demanded to know how they got there. I had to think fast and just said "Oh my gosh! Who in the WORLD threw those away?? I will find out!" ;)

Rachael said...

Love this idea, I may have to borrow it :)

Christy said...

Shannon, you are so creative. I am going to try this and see if I can become more organized.

Happiness Is... said...

Fabulous idea! I think I need to steal it!!

Kristen and Andy said...

What an awesome idea! I am going to have to do this for both my kids too - their stuff just gets so overwhelming - this is the perfect solution!

Too funny about the pic - hey at least he actually took a pic at school....Cannon wouldn't have nothing to do with it....*sigh*

Sarah said...

I love that idea! Thanks for sharing!

julie & joe said...

I use an accordion file box I had from work for Aaron's school work. (Keeping gets worse as they get older because Aaron has a fit if he sees me throw away any paper he wrote on at school).

I also scan all of his art work and make a book with shutterfly at the end of the school year. I include pictures of him from school and examples of his writing. That way the really neat art that fades and crumbles is recorded. This year I was able to take a picture of the gingerbread house he made at school and put it in the book.

Kimberley said...

i saw this on pinterest, too, and immediately knew i had to make one! actually two! love it!!

Mer said...

Wow THAT IS AWESOME!

Mallorie said...

I'm saving this idea for when EC starts MDO!!! :-) Love this!

Jess said...

Brilliant! Love this idea. You're so on top of things with a newborn. I'm impressed! What printer do you have? You print quite a bit and it always looks nice!

Shannon said...

Jess, I print pretty much everything at Office Depot. Saves my printer ink and is very cheap. I just take it in on a flash drive.