Monday, June 18, 2012

Gardening Questions Part 2

Thanks so much for your advice on my previous garden post.  I have a few more questions. 

My lace cap hydrangeas.  Whaaaaaa!  (That is the sound of me crying.)  These only bloom every other year.  Does anyone know why?  Is it because I cut off some of the blooms to bring inside last year?  There is a lace cap bush at our church and it blooms every year.


In the middle of the picture below is my lilac plant.  It is kind of hard to see.  My question on this one is should I cut it back after it blooms in the spring?  I love this plant!

Here is what it looked like a couple of months ago.  I planted it last year so this was the first year it bloomed.  It smelled so good!


My last question is about my hibiscus.  I forgot to ask this in my last post.  See those green leaves down on the bottom by the dirt?  Do I need to clip those off or just let them grow?


And this will show you how much of a total dork fest I am but I'm going to show you anyways.  :)  Cody literally laughs so hard when I pull this out.  This is my garden journal.

It's just a plain notebook that I made tabs for that say, current, future, maintenance, receipts, seeds, and misc.  I take the tags off everything I buy and staple them under the "current" section since this is what is currently in my yard.  Those tags have a lot of useful information.


Under "future" I have articles on new plants that I want to get and under "maintenance" I have information on pruning and maintaining what I currently have. 


So there you have it.  Laugh all you want but I reference this little notebook quite regularly.  Haha!  :)

19 comments:

The Buchanan Family said...

Thats a great idea. Just the past weekend someone ask me what something was in my yard and I couldn't tell them cause I had no idea! :)

Happiness Is... said...

That journal is too cute - I love the dorkiness!

Louise said...

I'm impressed!!! I am gardening challenged...to say the least and I'm not that organized either!! So, I'm just quite impressed!! And that lilac plant is gorgeous! I think that's the first one I've ever seen! It's so pretty!

Sarah said...

I'm drooling over your lilacs and hydrangeas?? Lucky! ;) We live in steamy SW Florida and so I can help with the hibiscus, I've got lots of those and plenty of palm trees in our yard. I have hibiscus bushes which we just prune as a regular bush, and then I have one little hibiscus "tree" like yours. I do trim the new growth, only at the bottom, to keep its tree form. Yours is looking full of blooms and gorgeous, great job! :)

Malorie said...

We have a gardening binder that is referenced regularly! All the tags, pictures, maintenance, etc. as well. So handy!

The Crowder Family said...

What a smart idea! I'm totally going to steal it! I'm not the best gardener, although I would love to be! I always love seeing pictures of your plants and flowers! And I actually learn so much reading your gardening posts, so I'll have to add all of that info to my new journal!

Laurie Anne said...

Be careful with the lilacs when you prune them because they tend to bloom on old growth. When you cut the spent blooms, only cut as far down as the new leaf buds. Some hydrangeas are the same way so folks only cut them back a third at a time.
I hope this helps
:0)

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

I think your garden journal is great! Not sure on most of your questions, so I hope you will share the answers with all of us. Sounds like you're enjoying gardening....that's great!

Maryellen said...

I love, love your garden journal.
I am all about ORGANIZATION !
Way to go . . .
Wish I could help you with your questions, I live on concrete so I have no knowledge of anything green. So much for apartments in New Jersey the "Garden" state hah hah

Theresa said...

I LOVE the notebook. I'm not a very good gardener, but something like that might help the lives of the plants I do have. Great idea!

Ashley Ez said...

The notebook is perfect! I always wondered how I could best keep track of my receipts for plants (when they die 6 months later I NEVER have them!)

Judith said...

Lilacs typically only bloom once and that is in the spring of the year when it's cooler. So, you have something to look forward to next spring. :) It will just be green for this summer.

Emily said...

I love the organization! Great idea.

I have a brown thumb. The fact that your hydrangeas bloomed for more than one year is impressive to me. :) Well done!

gottaluvboyz said...

This is my first time commenting on your blog and I must say I LOVE your simple DIY projects and your garden posts...SWOON!!! I think the journal is a fantastic idea. I am just starting to dabble in gardening myself. You inspire me!

Julie Rogers said...

WHAT---garden journal? Now that just puts me to shame---that's amazing organization!

I wanted to tell you to get over to our boy giveaway this week...http://www.thechirpingmoms.com/2012/06/giveaway-for-boys-and-their-dads.html to get some awesome swimsuits for the boys in your life!!!!

arkie said...

Love your garden journal! Much better than the file I keep.

Jennifer said...

I love the idea of a gardening notebook! Definitely ping to start doing this

Leanne Helums said...

Such a smart idea. I saved all of the tags for our landscaping because we are working to get it all around the house and want them to all coordinate together. I should start a garden journal, too.

Amber said...

Hi Shannon! I just had to comment on this post because I am such a die-hard gardener. I too have a garden journal. I keep written notes on the plants, veggies, flowers, fruits we have planted around our home and in our gardens and I also draw diagrams of each of our gardens so I know year-to-year what was planted and where it was planted. I have had NO luck with hydrangea, much to my dismay, however, lilacs grow like crazy around our parts. We do not even worry about cutting back the blooms after they finish. I cut some off for use indoors, but the rest just die on the shrub and they always come back beautifully the next year. My parents just cut their lilacs back to the ground last fall because they had gotten huge (probably 13-15 feet tall). And they already have about 2-3 feet of new growth already. Have fun with your gardening! I find it a relaxing past-time and I always feel so close to God when I'm out tending the gardens.