Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dollar Store Gallery Wall

When I saw Melissa's gallery wall over at 320 Sycamore, I knew I wanted to re-create it somewhere in our house.  Our Dollar Tree didn't have the 11x20 frames and they were out of stock on line so I asked my mom to look at her store and they had them.  She got six for me in black.

I picked out 3 newborn pictures of Westin and 3 of Reagan and printed them in black and white. 

*Side note- I print our pictures and large prints (from pinterest) at Sam's Club.  I print color copies and prints that are 8x10 or smaller on cardstock at Office Depot.

Melissa went the extra mile and cut mats out of poster board for her frames.  I just taped the picture directly on top of the poster board to give the look of a mat.

I decided to put the picture gallery in the hallway that leads to our bedroom.

Cody accidentally broke the glass in the 6th frame so I had to wait a few weeks to get the new one.

It is complete now and I love it.  I was stumped on how to hang them.  As soon as I put the first one up it fell down because they just had cardboard hangers on the back.  The frames are so thin I couldn't nail in a sawtooth hanger so I used E6000 glue to glue the hangers on the frames.  Just follow the directions for the glue.  These have been hanging for a couple of weeks so I'm confident in how well the glue has held. 


Not bad for $6 worth of frames.  Or $7 since I had to buy a new one.  :)
Thanks, Melissa for the great idea!

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Love, Love, Love!!!

Aimee said...

Love this! I didn't know that Dollar Tree carried that large of a frame. I'll have to check ours out! Love how the black and white looks!

Courtney said...

These look great.

Brittany said...

Looks great! I need to check our local dollar tree to see if they have the larger frames.

Katie said...

Looks great!

julie & joe said...

The gallery wall looks awesome!

Summer said...

you are so crafty its amazing! I love the $6 dollar project! I want a wall like that! Yet another project I can do during IVIG to keep busy! LOL about gluing the backs, the hubs dislikes hanging those kind so gluing is genius! You did a great job! If you don't mind me asking what color wall is that? I would love to have that wall color as our accent wall in our living room!

xoxo

Sarah said...

So pretty, shannon! With cheap-y frames like those, I love to use the command picture hanging strips. Plus, when you're ready to switch the pics-it's super easy.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Try command picture hanging strips next time. That's what we hang everything with now.

Susan

The Smith Family said...

Very cute! I need to do this!

The Agnello Family said...

I LOVE this and just purchased the frames online because our Dollar Tree didn't have them. I just have one question for you....what size are the pictures that you put in the frames? THANKS!!!

Karen At Home said...

That is a fantastic idea Shannon! Thanks for the tip!

Happiness Is... said...

Those look great! We are about to do a gallery wall in our kitchen, but I decided against black b/c I prefer black in hallways like you have. I found much more expensive (argh) frames at Pier One that are whitewashed but since I have to look at them every day I think they are worth the investment