Several of you have asked how it is with two kids now and what a typical day is like for us. Life with two is much harder and much easier than I thought it would be. Ha! I'll try to explain.
**Reagan's dress is from THIS etsy shop. She is a good friend and her work is amazing! She's on vacation for the summer but you will definitely want to check back in August.
The hardest parts:
- My personal time is gone.
- Breastfeeding with a two year old running around. Picture this-I was nursing Reagan in her glider and Westin climbed onto her changing table and was throwing wipes and diapers at me saying, "catch!" The funny part was that I was just glad he was in the same room as me and not having free reign throughout the house.
- Middle of the night feeding.
- Westin is two. I'll repeat...Westin is two.
- Shopping with two and feeling "house bound" on those days I decide it's just not worth getting out that day.
- Pretty much being late everywhere I go. This really bothers me.
- Those days where they do not nap at the same time. (Thankfully these are few and far between.)
- Nothing is spur of the moment anymore.
The easiest parts:
- Reagan is a really good baby and sleeps a lot and was pretty much only waking up once a night after a couple of weeks. This has nothing to do with anything I did or didn't do-she just came this way. Ha! So I have not really felt sleep deprived.
- She has pretty much always napped at the same time as Westin.
- Westin still takes a 2.5-3.5 hours nap every day. I will cry when this comes to an end.
- Unlike Westin who ate every 2 hours until he was 6 months old, Reagan eats every 3-4 hours. This is very freeing! And again, this is nothing I did or didn't do-she just came this way.
- She is not fussy or colicky.
- Westin has adjusted really well. He has never been anything but loving to Reagan and wants to kiss her a thousand times a day and usually does.
Yes, this will all change when she becomes more mobile and moves out of the newborn stage and doesn't sleep as much in the day. This is just our life right now at 27 months and 2 months.
A "typical" day (that could change at a moment's notice):
4:00-6:00am Regan usually eats during these hours and goes back to sleep.
6:00 I get up to shower and get ready.
7:00-8:00 Westin usually gets up during this time and eats breakfast.
Play time until Reagan wakes up.
8:30-9:30 Reagan wakes up and eats. After she eats when we run errands or meet friends or go to the park.
She stays up for about 30 mins to an hour and then goes back down for about 3-4 hours.
1:30 Westin goes down for a nap.
Reagan is usually still asleep but if she has been awake she eats and goes down as well.
3:00-4:00 Reagan wakes up and eats
4:30 Westin usually wakes up and watches a cartoon or goes outside until Daddy gets home.
5:00-8:00 Play, dinner, bath, bed
After 5 is when it kinda gets crazy. Since Reagan has pretty much slept the whole day she is usually awake from 5-7 or 7:30 when she eats and goes to bed. That is a long time to be awake for a 2 month old so she usually takes a 20-30 minute cat nap somewhere during that time.
7:30-8:00 I feed Reagan and put her in bed. She usually looks around for 30 minutes to an hour before falling asleep. Sometimes we have to go in there and rock her for a minute.
8:00-8:30 Westin goes to bed
So that is a typical day for us. Obviously every day is not the same. Some days she naps longer, some days she takes shorter naps. But for the most part this is a pretty typical day. I've never been one to wake a sleeping baby so her schedule starts when she wakes up. Then she eats every 3-4 hours starting with when she wakes up. I did this with Westin and it works great for us. He never had a problem with his naps or going to bed at bedtime and so far she hasn't either. She gets her 5-6 feedings in every day no matter what time she wakes up. That might mean she eats a little closer together in the evenings. This doesn't work for every baby or every personality. I practice a very laid back "Baby Wise". These days may be hectic and exhausting but I would not trade it for the world! I am very, very, very blessed.