Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Day In the Life

Several of you have asked how it is with two kids now and what a typical day is like for us.  Life with two is much harder and much easier than I thought it would be.  Ha!  I'll try to explain. 

**Reagan's dress is from THIS etsy shop.  She is a good friend and her work is amazing!  She's on vacation for the summer but you will definitely want to check back in August. 
The hardest parts:
- My personal time is gone.
- Breastfeeding with a two year old running around.  Picture this-I was nursing Reagan in her glider and Westin climbed onto her changing table and was throwing wipes and diapers at me saying, "catch!"  The funny part was that I was just glad he was in the same room as me and not having free reign throughout the house.
- Middle of the night feeding.
- Westin is two.  I'll repeat...Westin is two
- Shopping with two and feeling "house bound" on those days I decide it's just not worth getting out that day. 
- Pretty much being late everywhere I go.  This really bothers me.
- Those days where they do not nap at the same time.  (Thankfully these are few and far between.)
- Nothing is spur of the moment anymore.



The easiest parts:
- Reagan is a really good baby and sleeps a lot and was pretty much only waking up once a night after a couple of weeks.  This has nothing to do with anything I did or didn't do-she just came this way.  Ha!  So I have not really felt sleep deprived.
- She has pretty much always napped at the same time as Westin.
- Westin still takes a 2.5-3.5 hours nap every day.  I will cry when this comes to an end.
- Unlike Westin who ate every 2 hours until he was 6 months old, Reagan eats every 3-4 hours.  This is very freeing!  And again, this is nothing I did or didn't do-she just came this way.
- She is not fussy or colicky.
- Westin has adjusted really well.  He has never been anything but loving to Reagan and wants to kiss her a thousand times a day and usually does. 


Yes, this will all change when she becomes more mobile and moves out of the newborn stage and doesn't sleep as much in the day.  This is just our life right now at 27 months and 2 months.
A "typical" day (that could change at a moment's notice):
4:00-6:00am Regan usually eats during these hours and goes back to sleep.
6:00 I get up to shower and get ready.
7:00-8:00 Westin usually gets up during this time and eats breakfast.
Play time until Reagan wakes up.
8:30-9:30  Reagan wakes up and eats.  After she eats when we run errands or meet friends or go to the park. 
She stays up for about 30 mins to an hour and then goes back down for about 3-4 hours.
12:00 Lunch
1:30  Westin goes down for a nap.
Reagan is usually still asleep but if she has been awake she eats and goes down as well.
3:00-4:00 Reagan wakes up and eats
4:30 Westin usually wakes up and watches a cartoon or goes outside until Daddy gets home.
5:00-8:00  Play, dinner, bath, bed
After 5 is when it kinda gets crazy.  Since Reagan has pretty much slept the whole day she is usually awake from 5-7 or 7:30 when she eats and goes to bed.  That is a long time to be awake for a 2 month old so she usually takes a 20-30 minute cat nap somewhere during that time.
7:30-8:00 I feed Reagan and put her in bed.  She usually looks around for 30 minutes to an hour before falling asleep.  Sometimes we have to go in there and rock her for a minute.
8:00-8:30  Westin goes to bed
I crash.

So that is a typical day for us.  Obviously every day is not the same.  Some days she naps longer, some days she takes shorter naps.  But for the most part this is a pretty typical day.  I've never been one to wake a sleeping baby so her schedule starts when she wakes up.  Then she eats every 3-4 hours starting with when she wakes up.  I did this with Westin and it works great for us.  He never had a problem with his naps or going to bed at bedtime and so far she hasn't either.  She gets her 5-6 feedings in every day no matter what time she wakes up.  That might mean she eats a little closer together in the evenings.  This doesn't work for every baby or every personality.  I practice a very laid back "Baby Wise".  These days may be hectic and exhausting but I would not trade it for the world!  I am very, very, very blessed.

16 comments:

Rita said...

What a wonderful day in your life with the little ones. Precious times that so quickly slip away. The pictures you have taken are so cute. Love the quilt behind your children. Could you tell us where to get one? Thank You.

Karen At Home said...

I am so glad you wrote this, it's nice to read how other Mom's are handling the transition too! It sounds like Reagan is such an easy baby. You are very blessed!
Nicholas has been a good baby so far too! Not as easy as Reagan it sounds but he is a lot easier than Jillian was. My top two hardest things too are the same as yours. Nursing is very tough with a 2 year old near by.

Glad to hear its going well!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing this, it gives me hope that I will be able to handle a newborn and a 2.5 year old in a few months!!

Melissa said...

Such precious pictures!

As you already mentioned, these days are fleeting so enjoy the good ones and forget about the bad.

Hold onto nap time for as long as possible. My youngest still naps (he's 4) and while he is asleep, my 7 year old knows he has to be quiet in his room reading, looking at baseball cards (he has quite a collection) or listening to music. They need the rest/quiet time and so do I : ) It makes for a much more peaceful afternoon/evening!

The Rohman Family said...

Definitely brings back memories :)

Kari Beth said...

Love this post :-) but I must admit its a little bit of birth control for me! Haha! Just kidding. I think I MIGHT be ready :-)

I do have a question.....do you feed Westin breakfast as soon as he wakes up? I usually let Elle play for 30 minutes to an hour before fixing her breakfast and she rarely eats anything I cook. I make pancakes, oatmeal, waffles, eggs, and she doesn't really eat anything. Maybe I should feed her as soon as she wakes up?!

And thanks for the E+O shout out!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

I definitely remember those days! Beautiful children, lucky Mom!

Alex and Jill said...

I could have written this post. LOL

Shannon said...

Rita, the quilt is from TJMax and unfortunately it is about 4-5 years old. There is not a tag on it so I do not know the brand.

Julie Rogers said...

Glad you are adjusting well to two at home---there are definitely up and down days. And don't worry---my 3 1/2 year old still naps for usually two hours and it's pure bliss as I nap them at the same time. So I hope you get that time for as long as possible! Reagan is just adorable!

Sara said...

I laughed a little when you said you would cry when Westin stopped napping. I would cry to:))

They seem to look more alike to me in these pictures!

Stephanie said...

Thank you SO much for posting this! I'm about to have a newborn and two 20 month olds. Terrifying, I know! I practiced a very laid back "baby wise" with my twins, as well and it worked great. Hoping this little one is as easy as it sounds like Reagan is! I'll definitely be referring to your schedule after he arrives!

Anonymous said...

Haha - someone said this post is birth control for them. Me, too! Just a little bit. I want another baby, but I'm pretty nervous for the juggling act. Not looking forward to that one single bit.

Here is a question I had...why did you choose to have your kids so close together in age? Was that something you always wanted or did the fertility issue of having the embryo frozen play into that? (ie, you needed to have Reagan quickly) I am always curious about how people choose to space their kids.

Shannon said...

Anonymous,

Yes, we always wanted our kids to be close together. In fact, they would have been even closer if Westin didn't have to be completely weaned in order to start the frozen transfer process. So instead of trying to get pregnant when Westin was 5 months old, we had to wait until he was 14 months old. :)

As far as I know the frozen embryos can be frozen for years and years and years. In fact we still have one waiting on us! :)

Kim Kauffman said...

I am always so amazed when I read about babies who sleep! Our daughter (now 21 months) had terrible acid reflux and truly never slept, especially during the day. Naps, what are those?? Part of it is her personality because even now she only takes one nap and it's an hour if I'm really lucky. Glad you have a sleeper! They are both adorable

hi-d said...

I loved reading this...and I had to laugh when you described Westin climbing on the changing table and saying catch while u were nursing Reagan...Hahaha...

You sound very busy. They are both so cute!