Friday, June 22, 2012

Craft Week

This has been a fun week!  I've called it craft week.  My wonderful parents and in-laws have kept Westin this past week so Reagan and I have just been hanging out.  I've filled the week sleeping in, running errands that I normally wouldn't do with a two year old, hanging out with friends and I even busted out the sewing machine.

First up, I found a place for Cody's "DAD" picture.  You can't really see it in this picture but I hung it in our room.


I found some fun duck cloth fabrics at Hobby Lobby and made some shirts.  A whale for Westin and a bird for Reagan.


To make the shirts I ironed some 725 Heavy Duty Wonder-Under to the back side of the fabrics.  Then I drew a design on the back of the paper and cut it out.  Then I ironed it on the shirt. (Follow the directions on the Wonder-Under.)  I usually hand stitch around the design but since my sewing machine was out I tried it that way and it worked great!  It was so fast.  As long as the designs are pretty simple I'll be able to do it this way.  :)  If there are a lot of corners and details I'll have to hand stitch.  I know the very basics about my sewing machine.  Ha!



Since I had my sewing machine out, I finished up those dish towels I started about a year ago.


Elizabeth and I made these burlap stars for our front doors. We followed THIS tutorial. 

It has been a fun week and I've enjoyed being creative and having more time on my hands but I'm ready to see my boy!  One more day!

16 comments:

Kimberley said...

love the dish towel and star on your door!! so cute!!

Happiness Is... said...

Can you send me like 1/10 of your creativity?!?

LOVE those dish towels.

Erin and Ryan said...

The dish towel is so great! Did you sew on each little flag, or just through the top of each one?

Nicole said...

LOVE that pic above the DAD picture! How did you do that or where did you get it made?

Nicole :)

Shannon said...

Nicole, that is from Modern Bird Studios. They sent it after Westin was born. :)

Aimee said...

I only know the basics of my sewing machine too but you can sew so much straighter than I can! ha!

I love the dish towels! So cute! Might have to steal that idea!

Jodi said...

I love craft time! Everything is so cute especially the star!

retaffdwife said...

I love you craftiness, just found out I am going to be a grandmom, have been trying to find simple animal shapes like yours, where did you find them, many thanks.

Shannon said...

I free handed the whale but had a template for the bird. You can google animal templates but pinterest is the best place.

The Crowder Family said...

Everything you made is too cute!! You are so talented! I'm going to make one of those stars for Jackson's upcoming party and then the 4th! Yours turned out so great! I know Westin missed you like crazy!

Kristy Goldman said...

I love the shirts - I'm planning on doing some of those this week as a baby shower gift with some cute and simple templates I found on Pinterest... hopefully I will post them soon - if they're cute! Haha.

Christy said...

I love the star on your door. I have some burlap so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Julie Rogers said...

Those shirts are adorable----you make it sound so easy but if I tried that, it would not look that cute! And doesn't life seem so much easier when you only have one. Glad you enjoyed your time!

Kelli said...

Love the dish towels!

I'm Cindi... said...

You absolutely rock! That star project?....I'm all over it! Don't you think that would still be okay to leave up through mid-July? We've got company coming the middle of this month, and I'm thinking I may just leave it up.

Kari Beth said...

I need to hire you to help me with Elle + Ollie :)....everything is so fun and creative! Love it all!