Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chalk Board Frame


This is one of the frames I picked up at the thrift store a couple of weeks ago.  It was marked $1.75 but the green tags were 25% off that day. 


I knew I was going to paint the glass with chalkboard paint so I didn't even take it out before spray painting the frame.  I went with spray paint that is good for plastic since I'm pretty sure the frame is plastic.

While I was at it, I painted a few silver trays with chalkboard paint too.  The small one is from the same thrift store and the round one is from the Dollar Tree.

When painting with the chalkboard paint don't worry when the first coat barely covers the surface.  Especially on glass, mirror or metal.  Let it dry and apply several coats.

I put the round one in our room on my nightstand.


The oval one went in the china cabinet behind our toasting goblets from our wedding. 

I put the white one in our guestroom to leave a little welcome message to our overnight guests.  I can't decide if I will hang it on the wall or just leave it leaned up like it is.

The thrift store is my favorite place to find frames to re-purpose.  You cannot beat the prices!

18 comments:

Kelly said...

Your house just looks so welcoming and inviting! I bet your guests love coming to visit :)

Elizabeth said...

You are so creative!! I would have never come up with that idea!!

Carla said...

I love all your chalkboards!! I have to make a trip to our local thrift store and see what I can find.

Happiness Is... said...

I want to come stay in your guest room!

gottaluvboyz said...

I always love your chalkboards...the guest bedroom is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Love!

Can you share how you write so beautifully on your chalkboards Shannon? Do you use a special chalk or a chalk type pen? I think I can paint a chalkboard but my writing would never look so cute as yours! Any tips on how you make it look so great? You must have awesome handwriting.

I'm Cindi... said...

Pre-cious, Shannon!! And your handwriting...Lord, help me, it's amazing. I would have written and erased them so much I would have had to put a new coat of chalkboard paint over them all. L.o.v.e. the last one propped against the wall like that!! :) I've been a Houzz.com junkie for the past two weeks, and I've seen that so much...frames, mirrors, etc. sitting on a nightstand and propped against the wall.

Paige said...

Love it! I am on the lookout for frames to do a wall collage.

Kimberley said...

i love your love for the chalkboard paint! :) i love it too! and you're right, the thrift store is the perfect place to find frames. hard to pay full price anymore :)

p.s. i LOVE your handwriting skills! i have chicken scratch!! so jealous!

Angie said...

So cute! I haven't been doing many projects lately, but you are inspiring me to get busy!

Lana said...

That is so cute! I wish I had your vision when I see stuff like that!

Brittany said...

I just love your handwriting!

Mallorie said...

Okay seriously SO adorable!!! I would LOVE if you showed us how you write so darn cute on your chalkboards!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Your blog...but I have to tell you that the way you do your wedding monogram is incorrect. The woman always goes first. Do in your case---- S D C. Super super old traditions, but ladies first!!!

Carrie said...

I am going to do this!! I'm with some of the other posters....how do you right so nicely with chalk? I love your handwriting in the first pic!

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog, your house and kids are absolutely adorable! I have been looking for a burlap table runner, if you don't mind me asking where did you find yours?

Shannon said...

The runner is from the etsy shop, sweetteaandlinen.

Golf Trophies said...

Because of the additives used in some varieties of chalk, which can leave a residue when erased, we recommend using light-colored chalk designed for use on chalkboards.