Monday, June 11, 2012

Bible Verse Canvas

Here is another project I copied from Pinterest.  HERE is the original source.  I picked up this two pack of 16x20 canvases for $8 and some scrapbook letter stickers that were on clearance for $1 a pack.  I would have liked bigger letters but I just went with what they had. 


I used the different fonts to write the verse on the canvas while Westin was napping.


When he woke up I let him use his finger paints to paint on top of the letters.  In the original post they used all the colors but we just used blues and greens.


I thought he wanted to use the paint brush but once I showed him how he could use his hand, he was more into it.


I had to rotate the canvas and help him a little to get the whole thing covered.  Since I wanted this to be his art, I tried to only instruct and not take over.  :) 


I think his favorite part of the project was playing in the water hose afterward to clean off all the paint.


After the paint dried, I picked the stickers off.  I will have to touch up a few letters where the paint bled underneath but other than that, I think it turned out great!  The colors blended together way better than I thought they would. 


Westin was so proud of his artwork!


We hung it in his room over his toys. 


No, it doesn't necessarily coordinate with his room but he is so proud of it and I love having Bible verses in his room.  Especially a verse we pray for him.  The fact that he painted it makes it even more special.


"And the child grew and became strong; He was filled with wisdom and the grace of God was on Him."  Luke 2:40

21 comments:

Carrie said...

LOVE this project! How cute! I was wondering about the letters...I kept thinking, "Those colors don't really go well." Then you peeled them off...DUH!

Happiness Is... said...

I love that - so cute, and I love that he painted it and it's all his own. I just love toddler art!

Lana said...

Oh, I ADORE this!! Definitely a must-do on my to-do list! It looks AWESOME!

Christy said...

That's such a cute idea. I see you use Target brand diapers as well. The Target brand has held up better than Huggies for us.

Kristy Goldman said...

That is a great project! Love how you got him involved - He does look very proud!

Andrea said...

that is a really fun idea!

The Crowder Family said...

I picked up canvas and stickers this morning at Hobby Lobby to do this same project after pinning it awhile back too! I love the way Westin's turned out! What a fun way to have the kids learn Bible verses!

Theresa said...

That's awesome and so great that Westin could be such a big part of it. I'm going to have to look into that project for my kids. Thanks for the idea!

Twice as Nice said...

What a great idea! He's artwork is priceless. Looked like it was fun.

Brittany said...

This is SO awesome! Great job, Westin!

Katie said...

Ah, so cute!

Summer said...

what an awesome project girl! You are so creative! I will have to do this with Miss Kelcee! I love it! Westin looks so grown up in these pictures! The fact that he made his own canvas that was related to GOD is so amazing and special! You guys will cherish it forever! Looks like you have a mini Picaso on your hands! Good Job Westin!!

Paige said...

What a fun, easy project! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren said...

Good for you doing an art project with Westin while taking care of a new born baby! I've been wanting to do this with Spencer for months (since seeing it on Pinterest), and I still haven't gotten it together to do so! It turned out great. =)

Julie Rogers said...

I LOVE this idea---definitely going to have to borrow it!!! Just pinned it for my boards! And get yourself over to our website, http://www.thechirpingmoms.com to win that adorable baby girl some hair bows---we have an awesome giveaway this week just for precious little girls!

Our Family for His Glory said...

Yours turned out wonderfully! :) I love the use of different fonts/stickers. (And your family is adorable!)
Blessings,
Jessica

Miss E said...

its perfect! I love how its an original piece of art but has such a powerful message! I have to blog about a few of my recent Pinterest projects, thanks for the reminder!

ajnrileysmommy said...

oh my goodness!! this is so awesome! i love it!

Kari Beth said...

Definitely going to have to do this with Elle!!!! So fun!!!!!!

Olga said...

I had also pinned this a while back. I hadn't had a chance to try it but, Westin's turned out so sweet. I'll have to go get my supplies =) He is growing up so fast and such a cutie!

Ryan Ella said...

Hi,

These brilliantly colorful and bold pieces of abstract art are almost exclusively inspired by commonly endeared Bible Verses Paintings. Thanks...