Monday, April 30, 2012

Feeling Accomplished-China Cabinet Makeover

These days, if I take a shower before 5pm I am feeling accomplished!  So on Friday when I finally re-did my china cabinet, I was feeling really accomplished!  Our dining room furniture was my grandparent's and they gave it to us when we got married.  It has looked like this since we moved in almost 7 years ago.  I was getting a little tired of it so decided to change it up a bit.


I emptied everything out of it and stored the china and crystal underneath.

Side note- while I was doing this project, there was a baby robin on the window sill and these two cardinals were trying to attack it!  I kept having to bang on the window to save the robin.  Haha!  They eventually moved on.  Hopefully the baby robin survived!


I bought two yards of fabric at Joann's to line the back of the cabinet.  The fabric (and total cost of the whole project) was $18.00.  Yes, I know this fabric should probably be going the other way but this is the way it fit.  :)  So you might want to think about that when buying fabric.  I wanted something light and bright and I'm always drawn to green.


I used hot glue to glue it on, starting in one corner.  I like using hot glue because it won't ruin the wood and easily peels off.  I just put a few dots of glue about every 10-12 inches.


When I got to the end I cut it to fit.

As you can see, I didn't even trim off the raw edges.  You cannot even notice it in real life.  Also, you do not see the wrinkles in real life either.  ;)



There was a little left over on the bottom but I just left it.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get a straight line by cutting it and with the accessories in, you don't notice it.


I wanted to fill up the cabinet with things I already had.  When we moved Westin to his new room we had to clean out the closet which was full of all my accessories.  We moved everything out to a storage cabinet in the garage.  So, I went "shopping!"  :)


I loved that I got to bring in some of my favorite items that had been in storage.


I gathered what I wanted to use and then started placing the bigger items.  I was going for a casual, built-in bookcase feel.




I love our framed wedding invitation and monogrammed toasting goblets.




Like I said, I did this on Friday....Cody noticed Sunday night.  :)

13 comments:

Katie said...

Ha! Looks great!

Theresa said...

Shannon, you have such an amazing eye for decorating. The hutch looks beautiful with all of those wonderful pieces in it. Where do you get all of those accessories?

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

looks so fresh and pretty! love the last line about your husband. haha

The Crowder Family said...

I love this makeover! As always, you did such a great job! Too funny about Cody not noticing for a couple of days; my hubby is the same way! I hope the four of y'all are doing great!

Twice as Nice said...

Cody noticed Sunday night was way too funny! Looks great. Always nice to fresh up things a bit. Looks like a lot of memories not only from having your grandparent's furniture but by what you put in it. Have a great week.

Kari Beth said...

I got my hair cut on Friday and Aaron has yet to notice. And she cut a good inch off and colored it darker. Sigh....

LOVE the redo! Looks perfect! You have such a talent for interior design. I NEED your help this summer!

Karen At Home said...

It looks great Shannon! I hope everything is going well with two, I rarely get a shower at all these days so I am impressed! It will settle down soon I am sure. How is Westin adapting with the new baby? Jillian is finally accepting the change although she still has her moments!

Hope you are getting some rest!

Brittany said...

Looks so great! I love being able to "shop" through my own things..

Kelli said...

Beautiful!I love your home you have such an eye for decorating.I
love to see how long it takes my husband to notice stuff as well.

tellitlikeitis said...

LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks beautiful!! You are such a great decorator! Where did you get that storage cabinet in your garage? I need one of those...I have one but it's smller with only 3 long shelves..

Catherine

Shannon said...

I got the cabinet at Lowes.

Lia said...

What a clever idea and the finished cabinet looks really good. I pinned it for future reference. The only thing I would different is iron the fabric before it was glued.