Monday, December 12, 2011

Board and Batten in the New Nursery

A couple people asked for some detailed instructions on how I make the appliqued shirts.  Next time I make one, I'll take pictures of the step by step instructions.  Although I really don't think there is a right or wrong way.   I just go for quick, easy and durable.

This past weekend I dubbed Saturday, "work day."  My parents, Cody's parents, and his sister came into town to help us get our house baby ready.  I mentioned before that we were moving three rooms and I'm so happy that we got it all accomplished and more!  None of it would have been done without their help.  My dad and Cody's dad were the carpenters/handymen.  Our moms were the movers, cleaners, and organizers and Cassie was an amazing help by keeping Westin entertained and out of the way.

Besides getting the rooms moved, my main goal was putting up board and batten in the nursery (Westin's old room.)  I'm going for a very light and bright, mainly all white nursery.  The board and batten just completely opens up the room and makes it seem much bigger than it is.  It also makes the room seem so much brighter.  I LOVE it and now I want to do it in the dining room.  :)

We kept the wall color the same as it was for Westin's room and added the board and batten on the one main wall.  The top of the molding is 64" high.  My Dad figured out a way to do this very economically.  I will get all the details and make a more specific post but this whole wall cost $35 for the wood plus the cost of the white paint.     

Here is a sneak peek of Reagan's crib and bedding too!  Her crib is the "Jane" by Bratt Decor (which doesn't seem to be on the website anymore but is similar to THIS crib.)  Her bedding is from Pottery Barn Kids.  We found the crib for a steal at a consignment shop in Little Rock.  I almost didn't even ask if it was for sale because I was sure it was just their "display" crib but it was, and I even talked them down a few dollars.  ;) 

Next up I'll share pictures of Westin's new room and the new guest room.  Westin loves his new room and all the extra space!

P.S.  I had a few questions on how to pronounce Reagan's name.  It is pronounced "Ray-gan", just like the former president, Ronald Reagan. 

11 comments:

Lauren said...

The quilt on the top of the bookshelf looks like it is made out of Elizabeth Allen fabrics. Where is it from?

Becky Branch said...

I LOVE IT!!! Yay!!!! So pretty :)

hi-d said...

Beautiful room, Shannon!!! I LOVE the board and batten. It turned out lovely and that crib is beautiful. You are my kind of girl...a bargain shopper...and you even got it for cheaper. Way to go! So fun seeing this... :)

Happiness Is... said...

Love that crib - so perfect for a little girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes please post how you do the appliqued shirts. I tried to make a tie onesie today for a baby gift. I had to rip it off the shirt it looked so bad. I couldn't get the heat n bond to work correctly.

Kristen and Andy said...

The new room looks gorgeous already - can't wait to see it all done and decorated. Same with Westin's room - you have such great taste!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Awesome, Shannon! You always add the most special touches to the room. I can't wait to hear about the economics on the project - that is amazing.

Kelly said...

We just did that in my master bedroom and what a difference it makes! Such a special touch. I love baby girl's color scheme- such a soothing beautiful room!

Olga said...

I think Ray-lynn sounds pretty. If you wanted to have a nickname for your baby girl. Just a thought. I'm lovin' the white crib.

Christy said...

Beautiful job!! I would love to do that in my kitchen.

Kari Beth said...

Looks wonderful!