Friday, December 16, 2011

Board and Batten Details

Like I said earlier, we (my Dad and Cody's Dad) did this project for around $40.  My goal was around $100 so I was very happy!  On our way to Lowe's to look at what kind of wood we wanted, my Dad had the idea of using one piece of 1/2" cabinet grade AC plywood and cutting it down to size.  I was thrilled when we got there and saw that we could get all our pieces out of one $35 piece of wood.  We had them cut it into eleven, 3" strips and two, 4" strips.  They did this for free.  Not sure if they normally charge or not but the checkout lady did not charge us even though she knew we had it cut there.  We also bought two tubes of paintable caulk for $1.99 each. 


 They used a nail gun to nail the 3" wide boards on the studs which were 16" apart.  Then they nailed the 4" wide boards on top to cap it off.  Cody then painted the walls and boards with our baseboard color.  (It is a custom color so I have no idea what it is.) 

By the way, the 3" and 4" sizes were just a personal preference.  I've seen wider and smaller widths.  Also, you could cap it off with the same size as the slats.  Just go with whatever you like visually. 


You can see in the picture above that the plywood is very smooth and easily paintable. 


Since the plywood is 1/2" thick, it hangs over our baseboards by a smidge.  I took this picture at an angle so you could see, but in real life it is not noticeable at all.  I saw on a few blogs where they trimmed the edges at a 45 degree angle so they wouldn't hang over so you could always do that.   

I am so happy with how this turned out and really want to do it in my dining room now.  :)  Especially now that I know we could probably do the three walls for less than $100.  That is big impact for little money!  It made our small nursery look bigger and brighter so I know it would really make our dining room stand out.

I'm sure I've left out some details (I'm rushing because Elmo is almost over!) so if you have any questions, ask them in the comments and I will answer you IN the comments.  That way everyone can see the answers.  Happy weekend!!

4 comments:

LC said...

I love the look of this! We have wood stained trim in our house so I'm not sure it would look that good. Bummer for me. But I love how it turned out for you!

julie & joe said...

I love how that looks! You did a great job. I have been wanting to do that in my master bedroom.

The Photo Goo said...

That looks so good! I can't wait to see the overall view of the room!

Jeannine said...

This is an amazing idea. It adds so much character to the room. We are lacking in architectural details in our home, and this could be very lovely. I love ideas that are big impact on the home, small impact on the bank account!