Sunday, November 13, 2011

Gender Reveal Party

Well, we made it a week without looking at the envelope!  I thought it would be hard to not peek but I honestly didn't even think about it unless someone asked me about it.  I actually didn't even take it out of my purse all week!  I guess that shows you how all consuming having another child at home can be.  :)  Westin takes all my energy!  I didn't even have time to think about it.  Haha!  I am so glad we didn't peek because we were both completely shocked on Saturday.

We had the party at my parent's house so it was more centrally located and more of Cody's family could come.  My mom was the perfect hostess and put a lot of work into the party.  I couldn't have done it without her!



My mom got the cake and we made the cupcakes.  Cody's mom brought the cookies so were set!



Westin with Papa and Gigi.  I told him I was going to take a picture with him and Papa and Gigi so he just put his arms around them like he was an old pro.  It was so cute!


We took the envelope to my parent's neighbor and she filled the box with either pink or blue balloons depending on what the ultrasound said.  :)  Of course I saw this idea on pinterest, HERE.  I painted the chalkboard on the box so we could get a tally of every one's opinions.  As everyone arrived they made a mark under boy or girl depending on what they thought it was going to be.  I told them they couldn't make a mark based on wishful thinking but on what they truly thought it was going to be.  Haha!


Our family members that were able to come.  (My dad is taking the picture.)  The final tally was boy-8 and girl-9. 


As we were ripping the tape off, Cody and I were able to see the color of the balloons first. 


My face is one of pure shock!  Ha!


It's a GIRL!!


I was honestly shocked.  Cody said he had begun thinking it was a girl the past week so he was more prepared.  I had been feeling it was a boy all along and the heartbeat was exactly what Westin's was so I just thought for sure we were going to have another boy. 


Checking out the "proof".  The ultrasound picture that shows the gender. 



Everyone was sweet to bring a little gender neutral gift.  Westin took ownership over this little lovie.  He will soon be sharing with his baby sister!

A sweet smocked dress from my parents. 

It was SO FUN finding out the gender with everyone at the same time!  I loved doing that with Westin and it was probably even more fun this time since I was so shocked.  I had never even thought about it being a girl because a boy is all I know but I have to say, I'm very excited about it!!  I think it will be so fun to have one of each and I know Westin will be a great big brother to his sister.  Plus, my mom and I went shopping after the party and she bought her 4 outfits which was really fun!  I know I will probably be getting in trouble shopping for a girl.  :)  We are very thankful for a second baby and so excited to learn what it means to be parents to a girl. 

We also already bought her crib and an antique chest of drawers, so I'll show you those pictures soon!     

40 comments:

Alex and Jill said...

Love these pictures!!! So excited you're having a girl and no doubt you'll have a blast shopping for her - girls are SO MUCH FUN to buy for!! :) Congrats again, friend!

Chea said...

I am so excited for you all!! I'm sure Westin will love having a little sister! Congratulations!

Hautemama said...

I'm thrilled for you! Westin will be such a cute big brother!

Toni :O) said...

Congrats on the news of your baby girl-so fun!

Karen At Home said...

What a fun party!! I am still so thrilled for you about a little girl!! I guess we were wrong about the heartbeat, weren't we??? Have fun shopping for your baby girl!!!

Amy said...

congratulations!! how exciting!! i know i'm a little biased, but i think baby girls are pretty sweet ;-) congrats again and have fun shopping!

Brooke said...

Congrats!!! Having a daughter has been a wonderful blessing!

Megan said...

So exciting! I'm shocked also I totally thought it was a boy - I guess cause you did! :-) I can't' wait to see the furniture you picked out, you have the best taste!

Kelly said...

That video was so awesome but I love that I can zoom in on the second picture and see how shocked you were! What an awesome surprise. Congrats lady ;)

jessica kiehn said...

This is so, so sweet! Congratulations on the girl! I can't wait for you to meet her and fall in love. And girl things can't GET any cuter so I have fun with all of that! HOORAY!!!

Suzy said...

Congrats on your exciting news!!:) Love the party pics. What a fun idea to do the box/balloons for the reveal!!

Brittany said...

So fun! Love this idea!!

Tina said...

Congratulations! This is so exciting. Girls are a different story, but so much fun!

The Crowder Family said...

Congrats again! I loved seeing the video and now all of the pictures! You are just the cutest little pregnant lady! I am so happy for y'all!

marie said...

congratulations!!! what a fun party!

Tanya said...

Congratulations! What a fun way to do a gender reveal!

Megan said...

THAT'S AWESOME!Congratulations!!!!!

Gayle said...

Congratulations! The party looks so much fun! What a sweet family you all are.

Lo @ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

Congratulations!!! One of each - what a blessing! Your reveal was one of the cutest ones I've ever seen. The chalkboard tally on the box was the cherry on top!

jenn said...

Congrats

Mary Kate said...

Congrats on the baby girl! You will love having one of each!!

Jessica said...

Oh, how exciting! Very happy for you. :-)
It's my dream to have a baby girl next time since I have 2 precious little boys already.

Jodi said...

Congrats! Very exciting news and I love that you waited to find out w/ your family. Such a fun idea!

Julie said...

Cute! My friends did this too for twins, it was fun! http://youtu.be/aNee1WVq0gY

Fabiola said...

I am so excited for you. And yes, you will get in trouble when shopping for a girl ; ) I just had an experience about it today.

Kayla said...

I am so excited for you! Girls are so much fun to shop for;)

Kristen and Andy said...

OMGosh!!!! Soooo excited for y'all!!!! Having one of each is so much fun - you've done it before, but yet its all brand new again! How perfect! And yes...be prepared to go bankrupt with a little girl....their stuff is so hard to resist - ha!

katie said...

Wow! How wonderful to have a baby girl!! I love the way that you all found out! I had never thought of that or seen it done, but if I ever have a baby and we have a party like this I might have to replicate! Congratulations to your family!

Emily Richardson said...

YEAH!!! So excited for you guys!

Spirt Mom said...

Girl, being a mommy is the greatest ever, but getting to experience BOTH genders is beyond wonderful!! Plus, you have far too much talent to keep it for boys!;)

Sarah Robbins said...

We did not find out before we had our first child. I was SURE the baby was a boy and was totally shocked in the delivery room when she was a girl! But it's been so wonderful. You will LOVE having a daughter. It is expensive though- all those bows, dresses, tights and smocked dresses. Totally worth it though! Congrats on your sweet baby girl!

~aj~ said...

I absolutely love how you found out the gender! It's going to be so fun for you to have a little girl. Congratulations!!!

Kari Beth said...

SO FUN! I'm just SO excited. Congrats again :)

Life with my sweeties said...

Congratulations!!!! I loved the way you did the gender reveal.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a great way to reveal the gender!

Shelby said...

So sweet! I find out Monday at my 20 week ultrasound.. can't wait!

Jenna said...

I am SO excited for you Shannon!

Nichole said...

Hi! I remembered a while back you talking about how to get started on Pinterest. I can't figure it out! Could you send me an invite? NicholeHuff@aol.com Thanks!! (and congrats! :)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Congratulations on a sweet little girl!! So excited for you!! I am also pregnant with #2 and just found out it's a girl. :) I used your chalkboard voting idea at our reveal...thanks for sharing, and congrats again! :)

Happiness Is... said...

Congrats! This post brought tears to my eyes - so exciting!