Monday, September 26, 2011

Pinterest Project #3

Thank you again for all your wonderful comments.  I loved reading each one, even if I don't get to respond to each one.  Thank you!

A couple of weeks ago I made another pinterest project.  I first saw these HERE and knew I wanted to make one.

This was another easy fast project and only took two days because I let the paint dry overnight.  I actually forgot to put this on our door this past Saturday, although I don't think it could have helped our poor Hogs.  We still love them though! 

These are the steps I followed:

1.  Make a pattern out of poster board.

2.  Trace around the poster board with chalk onto two layers of burlap.

3.  Cut out the burlap and draw your design in chalk.

4.  I used regular craft paint to paint on the burlap with a foam brush.  Just beware that a lot of fibers from your burlap will come off on your brush but it doesn't hurt the overall look.  It also helped to sort of tap the paint brush on the fabric like you would do if you were stenciling.   

5.  Trace around your designs with puff paint.  (I was giggling at myself as I was buying puff paint because it just seemed so 80's.  Haha!)

A little tip:  You cannot tell in the picture below but the red "Hogs" and the red polka dots dried a different color.  The "Hogs" is painted directly on the burlap and the polka dots are painted on white paint.  So "Hogs" dried a little darker.  If I did it again I would paint the polka dots on the burlap too and then paint white around it. 

6.  Staple the hanging ribbon to the backside of the front of the football.  Staple around the football leaving a small opening and then stuff with tissue paper or old plastic bags and then finish stapling closed.



7.  Add as many decorative ribbons as you want.

This was fun to make and hopefully I won't forget to put it out on game days.  :)  I think it would even be cute for your kid's school too!

18 comments:

Rebekah said...

It turned out super duper cute!

Carol said...

So cute. . .I've got to make one for my 2 1/2 year old grandson. . .he's obsessed with all things football.

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

so cute --love it!

Carolina Girl said...

I'm loving this one!!!!
Any tips on getting an invite from pinterest?
I've requested one like 10 times now and never get anything back.
Thx!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE it!!!!! I just bought the stuff to make mine for our beloved VT Hokies! :) It's so neat for you to be expecting again because you may or may not remember but you and I were due within days of each other last time. My Lizzy is our last baby so part of me is a teeny sad to not be hopping on the baby bandwagon as you are. SO over the moon happy for your beautiful family.

Jenny
jlschardt@yahoo.com
http://beavswife.blogspot.com

Lauren Lashlee said...

SO CUTE!!

Kat Kaluza said...

WPS ! Love the football - it turned out super cute!

The Crowder Family said...

Just like everything you make, I love this! I may or may not be going to Hobby Lobby to get burlap once Jackson's up from his nap!! Thanks for another wonderful idea and tutorial!

Krishna said...

Super cute! I'm going to have to make one this week for the game. But mine will have a big ROLL TIDE on it or an Alabama A. The Alabama vs Arkansas game was one of the first games I remember my daddy taking me to when I was little...it is always a good game!

Dana said...

Love your pinterest DIY projects!!! It turned out great :D I may have to try this one and put a G on it for GA :)))) You are super crafty!!!!!! And congrats again lil momma :))))

Sarah said...

So cute! We have the same china pattern! Pearl Innocence, I think? Praying for you and your little-ist. So happy for you guys!

Linds said...

this is SO cute Shannon!

Life with my sweeties said...

I love this!!

destiny said...

Love it!! I have tons of burlap left over from a project, so I've been wanting to make a pumpkin for my door.
So fun! Your football turned out so darn cute!!

'The H Family' said...

Still love this 'project'....as always...I'm behind on my blogs...LOVED the 'announcement'!! That was hilarious!! And loved that I got to be with you this time....God is sooo good and I am so thankful that another sweet Davis child is on the way. Boy or girl?!?! Can't wait to find out!!!!

Amanda McD said...

I love it! Just had a friend buy one of these for a LOT of money, but I'll have to try a little DIY!

vermonter said...

I follow Kellys Korner and she is a huge HOGS fan, she would love this I bet.

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Oh Shannon!!!! I have been so delinquent on reading blogs lately (life is crazy, as you know!) I just found out about your pregnancy! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I am so happy for you, my friend. What a blessing! Will keep you in my prayers for a healthy, happy pregnancy and baby! xoxo