Friday, September 23, 2011

The Details

Thank you sooo much for all of your sweet comments!!  I feel so loved and we certainly feel so blessed.  If you are anything like me, you are wondering about the details.  :)  This post will probably have more details than you care to know but I will print this post out for the baby book so I want to remember as much as I can.


We knew we had three frozen embryos we wanted to use when we were ready to have another baby.  Of course we weren't sure if any of those would take so we wanted to try as soon as possible.  Also, we knew we wanted to go about it a little different this time.  Last time, soooo many people walked our journey with us every step of the way (which was great!), but this time we thought it would be fun to have it a complete surprise.  So only 4 close friends knew we were about to do a frozen transfer.  This was so weird (and so hard to keep from my mom!) but I knew it would be worth it. 

So on June 26, 2011, I started my estrogen patches.  I changed these every four days, increasing the amount along the way.

On July 14th I had my first ultrasound to make sure I didn't have any cysts or follicles.  I got a positive report so the next day I was able to start some antibiotics and the first of many progesterone shots.  These shots go in your hip so Cody gives them to me every morning before he goes to work.  I can finally stop these shots on Monday.  I have no feeling left in either hip.  Haha

July 20, 2011 was transfer day!     


Cody took off work to stay with Westin and I drove down to Conway the night before to stay with Christina.  (This was on a Wednesday and I was leaving Friday for IKEA so we didn't want Westin to stay with a babysitter for two full days.)  She was able to come with me on Wednesday to the transfer.  I was so thankful!  It was such a fun day and we laughed so much.  As usual. 


They freeze and thaw the embryos in pairs.  We got the good news that morning that both embryos had made the thaw and had started to grow right where they left off.  The same Dr. who gave us Westin (ha!) put these embryos back in.  I love that when he is finished he says, "In God we trust." 

We only had to wait 9 days for our pregnancy test.  I just had a good feeling about it so that morning I woke up and took a test.  With Westin I did not take a home test and waited until 4:50 pm for the nurse to call me and tell me I was pregnant.  That was a loooong day!  I didn't want to go through with that again so I took one at home and saw "pregnant."  Even though I was about 95% sure it would be positive, I was still shocked and still cried.  Once you have dealt with infertility, I guess it will always be a shock to actually be pregnant.  You just don't get used to it.  I still went to the Dr. to take the blood test and it also came back positive.


The little vial was what the embryos were frozen in for two years.  You can see the date on there that says, June 30, 2009.  The dish is what they thawed them in before the transfer.  It is so crazy to me to think that Westin's fraternal twin was frozen for 2 years!  :)   

I've had three ultrasounds so far.  My first one was two weeks after my pregnancy test and it was actually kind of scary.  I should have been 6 weeks along but the sack was empty.  There was nothing in there.  The words, "blighted ovum", "miscarriage", "don't panic yet" and other scary words were said at that appointment.  My Dr. had me do some more lab work to make sure my numbers were still rising and called me that afternoon to say they were still rising just not as much as they should be.  So she had me come in four days later for another ultrasound.  As soon as she got it on the screen we both said, "I see a heartbeat!"  Of course I started crying and she said she was just amazed.  She said the sac was completely empty four days ago and she normally wouldn't even do an ultrasound this soon but since my numbers were still going up she wanted to double check before we started talking about a miscarriage.  God is Good!!  Turns out this one was a late implanter.  :)  I was measuring 6 weeks.  So it was just too soon to see anything 4 days prior.

My third ultrasound was this past Monday.  I was 11 weeks and it was my normal appointment to hear the heartbeat.  We heard it right away and then she gave me an ultrasound just for fun.  I love my doctor!  She knows infertility patients like a lot of reassurance. 

So that is my story!  It was definitely a roller coaster ride and full of emotions.  I can't imagine going through it without Jesus and I'm so thankful to Him that he never leaves us or forsakes us.  It was only because of Him that I had a peace about everything those four days when I thought I was miscarrying.  I am also thankful for those four friends (and one blog friend) who prayed us through and for everyone who is praying for us now. 

A few more details....

We told my family the night before we left for Florida.  We put Westin in his big brother shirt and had Andrew (my brother) film my parent's reaction.  When we got to their house we just let them play with Westin and it was fun to watch how long it took for them to notice his shirt.  :)  It took about 5 minutes.  They were SO surprised and excited.  I didn't know if my mom would be mad or not for me not telling her but she did say it was nice to be spared all the worry that comes with all the waiting.  :)

We told Cody's family a few weeks later when we saw them in person.  We did it the same way but they never noticed.  Haha  After about 15 minutes, Cody finally told Westin to go show Nana his shirt.  :)  They were also SO excited and very surprised. 

How am I feeling?  I have been way more sick this time around.  Like barely functioning sick.  It has not been fun but at the same time I am thankful.  With Westin I was only sick in the morning and then felt fine all day.  This time I get sick all day and even in the middle of the night.  I am taking Zofran but there is not much difference in when I don't take it.  I'm too scared to take phenegrin because it just makes me so sleepy.  I have a vision of me falling asleep on the couch and waking up to the house totally destroyed while Westin is jumping on the bed.  Haha!  I get to stop my estrogen patches and progesterone shots Monday so I am hoping that that helps.  Thankfully I haven't been as tired this time around.  I think it is because I don't have a choice.  Ha!

Also, I am still praying for everyone who has asked me to.  Some of you have emailed me with updates of positive pregnancy tests and some have emailed me with stories of miscarriage.  I don't think we will ever understand why this happens, this side of heaven.  It is so unfair and doesn't make sense.  Please know I am still praying.  I'll be praying until everyone on my two page list gets a baby! 
 

52 comments:

Lori said...

What an encouragement you are! I love reading about your precious babies and how the Lord is blessing you and your husband. I'm praying that everything will go smoothly for you.

Mallorie said...

I am just so so excited for you guys!!! :-) And I LOVE little details so I'm so glad you shared them with us! I'll be praying for you to start feeling better :-( Being sick with a little one to run around after has to be NO FUN :-( But so excited for your new little blessing!!!

Lorie said...

Congratulations!!!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! What a wonderful story. So excited to see your preparations for baby #2! :)

Melanie Mueller said...

Yayyyy!! Congratulations!! I too love what your Dr. says at the end of the transfer!! God is SO good!! Hope you start to feel better soon!!

Candy said...

SOOO happy for you!!! What awesome news! Thanks for sharing! :) Hope you get over the sickness VERY soon! :)

The Anglin Family said...

That's awesome news!!! God is good!!!!
I hope you get to feeling better soon;) I'm 12 weeks and have been very yucky sick too;( Thank goodness for zofran!

Diane said...

Praying you feel better soon!!!!

Nicole said...

Yippee!!! I am excited for you....and I know ALL about the barfy feeling. I felt sick when preggo with my twins, but NOTHING like the sick I felt when I got pregnant on my own after fertility issues (surprise!) with my third. I tried phenergen, and couldn't stay awake (like you), reglan, which made me hate the universe and everything in it, and finally Zofran, which helped a little. Hoping you get through the sick phase quickly...I know how hard it is to take care of another little one (or ones) when you feel that bad!

Shelby said...

Congrats!!! What is your due date?? I'm pregnant with number three due April 8th.. So almost 12 weeks!!!

Proverbs30one said...

So happy for you. I've been following for a while. I have a daughter one month older than Westin and it is fun to watch them change together.

We're just starting to try for another as well. I dealt with infertility for 15 years (yes!) and finally conceived my sweet Hanah with the help of Clomid. We're going to the Dr next week for another prescription and will pray to conceive again. I'd really appreciate being added to your prayer list.

Blessings!

Suzy said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!! I am so excited for you! God is so good.:) I will pray for you that the sickness eases up soon. HIS peace does pass all understanding; doesn't it?:)

The Smith Family said...

This is so exciting!! Gives me baby fever so bad!

Emily said...

Somehow I missed your post yesterday! CONGRATULATIONS! So exciting!

I'm praying for reduced nausea, some energy, and an extra measure of peace for you while you grow this little one.

Mrs Bishop said...

As a fellow infertile, I know how scary this all can be! Congrats on the BFP and the growing baby!!! God is SO good!

julie & joe said...

Shannon that is wonderful!! I am so glad you are pregnant. I remember how hard it was to wait on the phone call and how terrible it was when I heard that I wasn't pregnant. I am so glad you don't have to go through that. Can't wait to hear if Westin is having a little brother or a little sister.

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

Congratulations on baby #2!! I am so happy that everything looks so great. I am learning about progesterone injections- I'm getting them now to *hopefully* prevent pre-term labor with our second little guy. Best of luck to you!!

Ben and Emily said...

Wow...what a blessing! I'm so happy for y'all!!

Bonnie said...

What!?! SO...that commenter was right,eh!?! ;) That must have been somebody you know! You still didn't look pregnant AT ALL :P I'm so excited for ya'll! <3 <3 <3

Alex and Jill said...

Love hearing the details!! Such a miracle. :)

Jessie said...

Congratulations!!! So excited for you. I'll be praying for you and your little one. :0)

laurensmommy said...

I've read your blog for a long time, but don't often comment. I just wanted to say Praise God for this! What a great blessing for your family! We are just starting some steps with infertility (I have PCOS), although we have a 3 year old little miracle already! :) Hope you feel better soon.

Brittany said...

I so wish I had known when I saw you at IKEA! And, I am so glad to know the details. My nosey self almost texted you to ask:). Congratulations! Soooooo happy for your family!

P.S., maybe your sickness means it's a girl!!! ;)

ChelseaSalomone said...

Shannon~ I am SO thrilled for you guys!!! I loved reading about your newest little miracle. Congrats!!!

Amy said...

so exciting!! congratulations to your family!! funny story....we told my parents about baby #2 the same way - (with a big sis shirt). my mom noticed right away and then everyone was excited and talking, crying, etc. a few weeks later, my mom mentioned something to my dad about 'the big sister shirt libbi wore when we told them we were pregnant" and my dad was totally lost. he had no idea. he just heard everyone screaming and crying and figured it out that way. he never even noticed libbi's shirt. he then called me to ask if i had made the shirt myself
(like with puff paint) and maybe that's why he didn't notice - ha! not quite! ;-)
congrats again....and being a big bro looks good on westin. :)

mom2amanda said...

Many congratulations for the blessed addition to your family. What wonderful news!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Oh my goodness Shannon I am soooo happy for ya'll. We were just up there in North Arkansas for a funeral and I thought about my Arkansas friends. I was able to meet Kelly and would have loved to meet up with you too. Never enough time... :(
I would have loved to rejoice and hug your neck!!! That's ok though cause I'm still rejoicing for you down here in Louisiana now. I am so happy and will be praying for you along this journey. Get some rest :) Love, hugs, and prayers! Susie

Amber said...

How fun that you got to experience the joy of sharing the "surprise" moment with family this time around! I hope your sickness passes quickly. Even in the midst of the joy of the pregnancy, it is hard to be so sick for so long.

Meredith said...

So excited for you all! What a wonderful blessing. Praying your morning sickness passes quickly! Congrats.

destiny said...

What a wonderful, amazing story! Praise God!

Michelle said...

Congrats Shannon! That is so, so exciting! I'm hoping for the same story soon! Praise God or another sweet, little miracle.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Yay! Congratulations! What an awesome story of faith. God is good!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Congratulations! I love your photos... you both are so gorgeous... and HAPPY!!! Me too. :)

Donna

803momof2boyz said...

I stumbled upon your blog and I read your story. Although I don't know you I am so happy for you. You seem like a really sweet person and God is walking with you and your family! I wish you continued blessings and healthy baby!

Dana said...

CONGRATS girl!!! God is awesome!! Sooo happy for y'all!! Westin is going to be an awesome big brother!!! Love the big bro shirt btw :D

jenn said...

Congrats!!! When is the big due date???

Olga said...

God IS good! Congratulations and hoping you are feeling more like yourself very soon. Wishing you and your family many blessings.

waiting and wishing said...

I am SO SO SO happy for you! Sounds like you had a scary start to things, but you made it through!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so happy and excited for you!!! Congratulations!

Mindy said...

Shannon!! Oh my goodness!! CONGRATS!!! SO happy for y'all!!! So inspired by your faith and positive attitude through this journey! I'll be praying for your pregnancy!

shortygoldstein said...

congrats--you are SO lucky to have had some extra eggs--we were not as fortunate
I hope I can do IVF again

sharonavinger said...

Congratulations! I found your story interesting and moving. May I ask you to pray for our daughter Megan and her husband who have been trying for a year to get pregnant with their first child? I will pray for you, too - that all continues to go well with your second little one. God bless you.

Lisa said...

I have also followed for a while, but don't often leave comments. This post though - I had to respond to.... I am so happy for you!!! My heart breaks for anyone who struggles with infertility. So many don't understand the heartache associated with this...I struggled with unexplained infertility for years. My husband and I have one son who is our world. He is now eight and the light of our lives! We have never been able to have another child but I know that God is so good! (I did have a miscarriage three years ago - I will have a baby for all eternity in Heaven.) Sorry for such a long comment. Just wanted you to know how thrilled I am for you and your family!! I look forward to hearing about Westin's little brother or sister.

The Photo Goo said...

I'm sorry to hear you're so sick. It's harder with a little one at home and trying to rest. Let us know if we can do anything to help! Congrats again!

Shannon Schott said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting and such an amazing journey of faith you have been on! I will be praying for a healthy pregnancy!

To The Moon and Back said...

oh my goodness Shannon! CONGRATULATIONS! Praying for a healthy pregnancy!

xo

Lulu and Co. said...

Congrats!!!!!! I am sooooo happy for YOU and your growing family!!!
Blessing,
xo,
Lulu

Kari Beth said...

crying reading this. i am just so excited for you! sorry you are so sick. know that westin can come play ANYTIME. i am serious.

Bridget said...

What a great story! I'm excited to read more about your pregnancy and the new baby!

I had many ultrasounds with baby #3 due to a history of miscarriages. The first ultrasound was exactly what you described your first one to be. Empty. It takes my breath away because the pain is so great. However, that "empty" sack is now a 7 year old boy and healthy as ever! God is so good!

Staci @ Life's Sweeter with Chocolate said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am just so happy for you! God is so amazing. :)

Dee Stephens said...

WOW!!!! Hopsy shared your blog with me. Bookmarking for sure!
I don't blog about it but we're doing IVF right now.
Retrieval next week then we are waiting a month and getting through the holidays to do the transfer.
They say success on a frozen embryo is huge! Say a prayer for us!

lies anggie puspita dewi said...

Hello my loved 1 ! I like to say the fact that submit is awesome, nice published and emerge along with nearly all significant infos. I'd just similar to to appear alot morecertainly an improbable and helpful bit of specificsthat you shared this handy knowledge along with us. Please stay us around day similar to this. Thank you for sharing

davia leather
new game kids
toko jaket kulit murah di garut
jaket kulit asli domba
jaket kulit jakarta
jaket kulit
abwaba
permainan terbaru
layali store
permainan games memasak
permainan memasak sara
permainan games barbie
tozca leather