Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Re-purposed Frames-UPDATED

**Update: my mom emailed me last night and told me when I "corrected" my anniversary date, I corrected it wrong!  I got it wrong again!  It should read 5-8-04.  Haha!  Good thing Cody doesn't really read my blog!  Ha!

Remember these gold frames I found at Goodwill awhile back?  I used the wooden one HERE.  I wasn't sure what I would use the oval frames for but I like finding things in pairs. Plus they were only $2 each. 


I started by spray painting them black.  Then I took inspiration from Emily's post, HERE and put an old book page on top of the original picture.  I took one of Westin's silhouettes that I made when he was 7 months old and glued it on one and printed out a "d" for the other one. 


Total confession/embarrassing moment:  I got our anniversary date wrong on the "d" frame!!  It should read, 5-4-04.  I'll be fixing that soon!  Not sure what I was thinking other than Westin was napping and I was rushing to finish before he woke up.  Sometimes I wonder where my mind has gone.


I hung them in the hallway with Westin's 3 month and 6 month portraits.  Well, I have one hung but I couldn't hammer on the wall while he was napping.  ;)


Westin was so bald at 3 months!

I hand wrote the little tags for now because I was in a hurry so I might change those later.  To make them look more like tags, I used a black sharpie and a ruler to outline them and then put two dots on them to look like tiny brads. 

Yay for a project started and completed!  Those are rare these days.  ;)  Now, I wonder how long it will take me to correct our anniversary date.  Better yet, I wonder how long it will take Cody to notice it is wrong!

22 comments:

Lauren said...

Yea for even STARTING a project anymore, let alone finishing it!! I will totally pay you to make one of those for me of Spencer's silhouette. I'm afraid he'll be sixteen before I find the time and energy (time I might have one day, but no energy....you know?)
Love it!

Kristen said...

Soooo creative! I would have never thought of using a book page as the back, but it's absolutely beautiful!

Sara said...

You are so creative, and I know it is totally random, but your handwriting is great!

I love the anniversary mix up. I seem to do things like that and just wonder where my mind has gone.

Mary Madeline said...

Beautiful!!! Another awesome project!!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Those are adorable!

~ Sarah

Kari Beth said...

adorable, shannon. you are so creative and so crafty!

Kari Beth said...

oh and cracking up about the anniversary date. i seriously can never remember our anniversary. if it wasn't the last day of june i would never remember. don't even ask me the year. ha!

Sharon said...

I LOVE those. You will have to show us how you made your silhouette. I have been wanting one of my son, but don't know how to do it myself. I also think those frames might be easy to find at a yard sale or thrift store...at one time everyone had those pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Lauri said...

When I started forgetting completely random things (mine was my address...I lost many shipments because I just couldn't get it right!) it turned out that I was pregnant! I'm just sayin'.... :-)

Paula said...

I love this! I am diggin' silhouettes! I may have to copy this one, I have an empty space I'm trying to fill.

Molly Dukeman said...

I LOVE your blog! You are so creative and I can't wait to try my hand at some of your crafts.

adventuresindinner said...

Oh my gosh! I did the same thing about a week ago when someone asked me when my anniversary was.

Unfortunately the husband was sitting right beside me.

Love your blog-so glad that I found it.

Casey :) said...

I *LOVE* this!!

Kimberley said...

you are so crafty! and laughing at your mixup :)

Sarah said...

your project looks great, Shannon! Now don't give yourself such a hard time. My dear friend and I call those "nuked moments". You know-when you start the microwave, but there's nothing inside, because you forgot to put the food in! ha ha Such is the life of a busy momma. ;)

Anonymous said...

How did you make the silhouette? Very cute!

Beth said...

creative you are....love all the neat things you redo.

loved seeing all the pics of Westin in the water...he is such an adorable little boy

come visit at my new blog

Sarah said...

So, So cute! Love all of your ideas. Could you please send me an invite to pinterest if you are still can? Thanks! sarah.vannus@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

i agree with lauri!! i thought the same thing..."i wonder if she is pregnant!!" either that, or it is just "mommy brain"! we all do it, forget that is!
:) linda

Anonymous said...

Love the silhouette of Westin, I'm going to go back and see how you made that!
i'd love an invite to pinterest-- LasLowe@nts-online.net--Thanks!

Object of Maya*ffection said...

Those are so CUTE in the grouping Shannon! Fab makeover!

Amy said...

Love these!!