Monday, June 27, 2011

Our Journey To Parenthood-Part 1


I'm not sure how many parts this will be but I'm just going to start typing.  I think the reason I have not made the time to sit down before this, is because these emotions are hard.  They are not fun to re-live but a lot of you are living in them right now so I know I can go there.  And hopefully my story will be encouraging to you and give you some hope.  Also, this is just our story.  Your story will most likely look very different.  I am not saying your journey should go in this specific order.  We all do what we feel comfortable with after much prayer and conversation with your doctor.



Cody and I were married in May of 2004.  We thought we would enjoy married life for a year or two and then have some kids.  We had it all planned out!  :)  Obviously God had some different plans and His plans are perfect.  We started trying to have a baby in September of 2006.  I had never really known anyone who had trouble conceiving so it never even crossed my mind.  Honestly, my biggest worry was that our baby would be born in 2007 and odd numbers are hard for me to remember!  Haha!  Sad, but true.  After six or seven months of negative results I went to my regular doctor and she encouraged me to keep trying naturally for about 6 more months.  She didn't want to jump right in on fertility treatments because I was very "normal" and regular and it usually takes couples up to a year the first time.

That first year I wasn't too stressed but I was getting a little anxious.  When you ready for a baby, you are ready!  Toward the end of the year I started wondering if this was ever going to happen for us.

After that first year, we started trying the fertility drug, Clomid.  I responded great every time!  I was told it usually takes about 1-3 times to work so that is what I expected.  After the 5th or 6th month my Dr. suggested we add artificial insemination with the Clomid.  I thought this would for sure be the ticket!  Why wouldn't it be?  Everything was just as it should be-I was responding perfectly to the Clomid and there was nothing wrong with Cody.

After three unsuccessful rounds of artificial insemination we moved to the next step...           

15 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for sharing your story! My husband and I are in the throes of fertility treatments right now and I can use all of the encouragement I can get!:) So happy that God blessed your family with a beautiful child!

Dana said...

thank you soo much for sharing your journey with us! I know when I was struggling it helped me alot to see that God's plan does work out!! Can't wait to hear more :D

Two Little Tots said...

thank you for sharing your story. we too had our own journey with fertility treatments for 4 years until we took a huge step and did IVF and ending up with twin girls! they are a huge blessing and so full of life. they are 4 now and i can't image life without them.
i can't wait to hear more.

Stephanie Johnson said...

Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to read your story and then to read your posts about Westin. My husband and I are in the midst of our infertility journey now. I know God has a plan for guiding us through this time, and I pray that we will one day have our own precious little one in our arms.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the step to share. Infertility is too big of a secret. So many couples struggle with it with little to no support from insurance. We too have struggled for years...8 failed IUI, 2 failed IVF, 1 IVF ending in an ovarian pregnancy and our final IVF has me currently 6 months pregnant. The sadness, hurt, defeat and questioning of God is unbelievable when dealing with infertility. I found an amazing support group online at Daily Strength that is full of women just like me. The support, encouragement and understanding is tremendous no matter where you are in your journey. Good luck and thank you.
'For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11- I have said this to myself thousands of times during the last 4 years. Thanks, Megan

Twice as Nice said...

What I thought was going to be 9 months took us 8 1/2 years. I look back and wonder how I did it but the desire to have a child was so strong.
I have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams. I tell everyone Logan is an EASY child (teenager). Very loving, well mannered, no talking back, wonderful grades, the only thing lacking is neatness!!
My heart goes out to all the couples out there trying to start a family and having problems. It is so hard when everyone around you is able to have what you want.
God has a plan and I think when we stop to really listen we will hear what it is. It is God's timing, perfect timing...

The Smiths said...

so far our stories sound about the same. currently waiting for our first (boy;) baby to arrive any day now after a frozen IVF transfer. thanks for sharing. if your like me the bravery is not needed in letting others know your story it's need to face those hard times you once had knowing how close to the surface those feelings still are. thanks;)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Infertility can be such a hard thing to talk about sometimes--although I find it easier to talk about online than "in real life." My husband and I had to deal with infertility too--on both of our parts. We *never* expected to deal with it at all and were shocked by it.

I really hesitated to say anything about it to my family because "we don't talk about that stuff" in my family--to this day, I don't think my dad knows anything about what we went through and my mom changes the subject most of the time.

However I did share as much as my family was willing to listen and it ended up being a very good thing as my cousin (whom I'm very close with) ended up having the same problem as me--and after hearing my story she recognized the same symptoms in herself and was able to get checked out and convince her doctor not to make her "wait a year".

~ Sarah

hi-d said...

That is so awesome that you are sharing your story, Shannon. I know it will definitely bless many who read it.

Blessings!!!
hi-d

Stella Blue said...

I click on your blog from time to time. For some reason I did today and the timing was perfect. In three days I will have my beta test to see if my first round of IVF was successful! I'm not sure what the rest of your story is, but I'm certainly looking forward to hearing it. Blessings to you and your family.

Meredith said...

Thank you for choosing to share this! We are currently gearing up for IVF #2. It is nice to hear others who have made it through this roller coaster.

Karen At Home said...

Hi Shanon! I am so glad that you are sharing this with us. It took us 3 years to finally conceive a healthy baby and we started trying the same time you did. I can only imagine how hard it is to relive these trying times. Hang in there, so glad to know there is a happy ending!

Rebekah said...

I can remember Laura first telling me I would LOVE reading your blog because of how crafty and cute you are. Which I did. Then she told me a little more of your struggle with infertility and my heart just yearned for you to have a baby (weird, I know, since I only knew you through blogging.) I would always pray for God to bless your family with a baby! ow look at sweet, beautiful Westin!!! God is so good!

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so glad that you finally found something that worked for you and got your amazing baby boy.

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I love seeing how God brings families together! After 9 years of unexplained infertility I gave birth to my sweet baby boy - on Thanksgiving Day. In the meantime, I became a mom through adoption to a precious son and daughter.