Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Feeling Crafty!

Hello!  I feel like it has been forever since I've opened my computer!  My parent's came up this past weekend and we have a fun Father's Day weekend filled with the pool, park and grilling out.  Westin went down a water slide for the first time and also started climbing up and going down a slide at the park by himself.  He is just growing up too fast! 

I am so thankful for my Dad who basically served us on his weekend.  He did a lot of things around the house for us.  He is the definition of selfless.  I love you, Dad!  I hope you had a good Father's Day!  Of course I think Westin also has an amazing father.  The way Westin lights up when he sees his Dada and the way Cody lights up when he sees Westin is a joy to watch.  We love you, Cody!

I have been wanting to try my hand at making a few shirts for Westin.  I knew it had to be pretty simple so when I saw these shirts in a catalog I thought they would be perfect to try.



I gathered my fabric and washed and dried it before I cut out the designs.

I just free handed the drawings and cut them out.  I couldn't find any shirts without pockets on the front so I'm just ignoring them.  I have to buy that iron on stuff (no idea what it is called) to iron on the pictures and then I will hand stitch around them.  I hope to finish them soon so he can actually wear them before he outgrows them!  I'll be sure to take a picture of the little model with the finished product.  Y'all keep me accountable!  :)

16 comments:

Amy said...

Adorable!! I've been wanting to try applique, too! Can't wait to see your finished shirts!

Lori said...

Very cute! I do slot of appliqué. You can usually pick the pockets off and not tell once they are washed! Esp if these are granimals shirts.

Anna said...

Cute idea! I can hardly wait to see them finished!

Ashley E. said...

I've seen target has some colored shirts for boys without pockets! They for sure have white though.

The Lowery Family said...

Too Cute! I use Steam-a-Seam to applique stuff onto shirts for my kids. It works really well.

Katie said...

Cute!

MJ said...

I do a lot of applique shirts and almost always buy shirts with pockets...I just use a seam ripper to take the pocket off, throw it in the wash, and surprise...you can't even tell! :)

Brittany said...

very cute! the pockets will come off! cherokee tshirts at target are $5.00 and come with no pocket.

Anonymous said...

Wow - cute shirts!!! They turned out really great! I was just in Hobby Lobby today and saw some cute appliques for sale...I may have to go back and get some for Cannon - don't think I could make mine as cute as yours! Can't wait to see Westin in them :)

Kristen
http://crowsnest2008.blogspot.com/

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Those will be cute! Try taking the pockets off--or go to Target! Our Target has short sleeve shirts (with no pockets) in the baby boy department.

~ Sarah

Kara Frank said...

Very cute! If you are really careful you could use a seam ripper and take the pockets off....just be careful!! Good luck ;)

Brooke said...

Cute!!

Sarah Robbins said...

So cute! I have done appliques with felt and it is super easy too, but you don't have to worry about using the stiffener or ragged edges.

Old Navy has shirts without pockets for future reference, too. . .

Kari Beth said...

so cute shannon! so funny because today i appliqued a flower on a dress for elle! i'll text it to you :)

Object of Maya*ffection said...

VERY cute! You can use a seam ripper and remove the pockets (carefully)

SoSoBella said...

darling!!!!