Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oldest Trick In The Book

What's the oldest trick in the book?  Shop the house!  Ever since I spray painted this brass lamp from the thrift store I have wanted to update the other table lamp.


It was a skinny mini and she wanted to be plump like her new friend.  However, I have not been having any luck at the thrift stores finding a lamp I can spray paint.  So, I looked around the house to see what I had.

I have this white lamp in our guest room.  It is not nice and plump but it is lighter than the brown one so I thought it would work for now.

I swapped them out and I am loving the white lamps in here.  I'm still on the lookout for a bigger lamp but this one will work for now.

Before you go to the store to spend some money, see if you have something around your house that could work!


Thank you!
Thirty One Gifts-Dana
Longaberger-Julie
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU

13 comments:

Cherish This Life! said...

The swap looks great!

Sharon said...

Like the switch. Like how the photos are bigger on your blog now. I am hoping you will share how to do that with us:)

Marci @ All Things Wonderful said...

Great swap! The white lamps look nice.

Amber said...

Looks great! Question for ya: Does the white spray paint stick on that brass? What kind of spray paint do you use? I bought Krylon off white spray paint a year ago to spray paint a wooden lamp, and it got all bubbly and uneven. It was awful looking.

love, kate said...

i always go *shopping* around my house!!!

Mary Madeline said...

I'm very inspired!! Which spray paint did you use??

Stephanie said...

Great job Shannon! One of my favorite tricks too :) OR, as my Sister and I discovered recently, another great trick is to swap! I traded some of my lamps for hers and we're both thrilled with the outcome. We both think we made out better than the other :) Gotta love that!! AND, I'm totally inspired to go get some wheat grass now! Love how easy that is and how great it looks. Thanks for the step by step!

mommaclark said...

I love this site!!! ~*Cute*~

Becca said...

Looks great in its new spot! Isn't it fun to shop the house? *Becca*

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

A Hint of Home said...

I agree! Looking around the house can be beneficial, for sure!
I like the new white lamp in there with the plump one. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Shannon~ Where did you find the flower with the bulbs under your dome in the living room?

Shannon said...

Anonymous, I got that at a local boutique store about 3 years ago. I'm sorry I don't have any more info for you!

hi-d said...

Great idea...love re-purposing things!