Monday, April 4, 2011

Growing Grass

Yay!!  Thank you, Haley for showing me how to get more space and more importantly, how to use Picasa to put my pictures in my post!  Thank you!  AND she showed me how to make my pictures big.  I am clueless when it comes to this so I had to be shown step by step. 

I saw this idea floating around blogland last year and filed it away to try this year.  I've been growing wheat grass for the past week and it is so fun! Ha!  It grows so fast.  I planted the seeds last Friday and I've already trimmed them at least twice.  I'm going to tuck some eggs in around Easter.  Here are the steps I followed:

1.  Buy some wheat grass seeds at the health food store.  I bought this much for .79 cents (with my bank card, of course!) and used about half.  It goes a long way!


2.  Soak them in water overnight so they "sprout" a little.


3.  I gathered several containers to plant them in.  Fill with soil and then top with the seeds.  Be sure to cover all your soil so you your grass isn't too sparse.  Water daily with a water bottle to keep the soil damp.

*Note-Next time I will not fill the soil all the way to the top.  If you leave about an inch at the top of your pot, the grass will look better. 

4.  By Sunday afternoon (three days later) it was almost 3" tall.  To force the grass to grow a little faster I keep the containers under two lamps for about 4 days.
5.  This is about 6 days later. 




Like I said, I have already trimmed them two or three times.  So there is plenty of time to grow some to use with your Easter decorations.  It is just a fun spring-y accent indoors. 

Thank you!
Thirty One Gifts-Dana
Longaberger-Julie
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU

22 comments:

Amanda Jo said...

I LOVE THIS!!!

Kaysie said...

What a great idea!! :)

Andrea said...

That is such an awesome idea. I saw this before on a blog too, this lady grew her own WG to make center peices for a baby shower. i thought it was ingenious! this is too!! great job!

Hollie said...

I am patiently waiting for my wheat grass seed to come via Fedex. Apparently nowhere in middle GA has wheat grass seed. So you got a stinkin' deal for 79 cents and NO shipping! :) Thanks for the tip about not filling the containers all the way to the top. Can't wait to sprout some! Also, I saw your little handprint of Westin's on that shelf. I was gonna make a suggestion that you should make one that is on an 8x8 canvas so that later on you can make a grid of handprints on the wall. I plan to do one each year on or near my little boys birthday. Here's mine... http://singletongirl.blogspot.com/2010/09/handprints.html Becky does a great job at showing what I mean. Hope that helps and you can grab that handprint before too much more time passes.

http://www.beckyhiggins.com/blog/tag/handprints/

A and W said...

Oh my gosh - I love that! Your container choices are all too cute. Definitely gonna have to give this a try.

Mary Madeline said...

Shannon, i love this!! I am so desperate for spring. We had snow in NY last week!!

Lana said...

Love this! Thanks for the idea!

Emily said...

That is so neat! I have never heard of this before. Love it!

A Hint of Home said...

What a neat idea! I love how it looks and how fast it grows!
Thanks for sharing it.

Lauri said...

Can you share what Haley's suggestions were for getting more blog space and bigger pictures? I looked back at the comments and didn't see it. Thanks!

gottaluvboyz said...

Oh, thank you for sharing this idea! I have been wanting to add some live greenery into our house. This is perfect. Soooo cute!!!

hi-d said...

That's so cute...and I love the fact that you use your "bank card" for pretty much all purchases... :)

hi-d said...

Hey Shannon...
I thought of you, because your name is synonymous with anything to do with chalkboard stuff. :)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2011/04/chalkboard-placemats/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pioneerwoman-full-rss-feed+%28Pioneer+Woman+FULL+RSS+FEED%29

Carolina Girl said...

I'd also like to know how to get your pics big!

This WG project sounds like a great thing for me to do with my three year old.

Marci @ All Things Wonderful said...

SO Cute! I may have to give this a try. I think my kids would love watching it grow. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

That is adorable! I'm going to do this for sure!

The Branches said...

That looks so cool and EASY who would have thought! You haven't blogged about Oops in awhile is it still open?

Kristen said...

What a great idea! I would have never thought to do that, but it's such a cute accent!

according to sabrina said...

How exciting! I just planted flowers today, and I think I want to plant grass next! It looks so nice your table :-)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

So cute!!

I can't find wheat grass around here and it is driving me crazy! Argh! I have one more place to try and that is it. :( I struck out last year, too!!

~ Sarah

Natalie and Lee said...

I am so glad you posted this! I LOVE this idea!! ;)

Anonymous said...

FYI - I found wheat grass seeds at Petco.