Monday, March 14, 2011

Thrift Store Lamp

Thank you all for your sweet words on Westin's party!  I'm still trying to catch up on my emails.  :)  It was such a fun day for us.  We took his one year pictures Saturday so I cannot wait to get those back.  I'll be sure to share a few!

Also...an update on the cleaning supplies.... thank you all for your suggestions! I love the Magic Eraser Power Scrubber (or whatever it is called-the one for bathrooms).  I don't think I even had to use any muscle at all while I was cleaning.  That is what I like!  hahaha The soap scum just wiped right off.  It was great!  I also tried the Bar Keeper's Friend on my sink.  I liked it too but it left it kind of dull.  Do y'all shine your sink with something else after using the BKF?

Now, on to the lamp.  I wanted to update my living room lamps but our budget for that is $0.  That doesn't stop me.  :) I stopped in a local (huge) thrift store a couple of weeks ago and found a brass lamp.  It had a green tag on it which meant that day it was fifty cents!  I can swing that.  Can you believe I LOST my before picture?!  I'm so sad!  Just picture a shiny brass lamp.  After a coat of spray primer and heirloom white, I had a new lamp.

It didn't have a shade but I'm using one off a floor lamp that we aren't using anymore.  I'm keeping my eye out at the thrift store for a shade and another lamp to update our end table lamp.  I just love how it turned out!

I had the shade and the paint so the whole project was only .50!  I also bought a huge picture and a big frame for .50 too so my grand total that day was $1.00.  (And the total sad fact is that I didn't even have a dollar in my wallet and had to use my bank card.  Ha! I just do not carry cash.) You can probably guess what I did with that picture.....chalkboard anyone?  I'll show you soon!

Thank you!
Longaberger-Julie
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU

16 comments:

julie & joe said...

The lamp turned out great! I love when you can change your look for almost nothing! I need to work on that for my house.

Karen said...

Love the lamp! For your sink ~ Pledge Revitalizing Orange Oil works great. I also use it on my granite counters, and of course it works great on the cabinets.

Casey :) said...

Can I just say that you are awesome! I need to find some thrift store in my area pronto! I have wanted/needed some new lamps also but they are a little out of our budget for us too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Alex and Jill said...

I LOVE the white lamp!! You really have made me think about what I can buy and just spray paint if I don't like the color. I used to never think about painting anything until I started reading your blog. I need new lamps for my living room. I'll have to check out our local thrift stores. ;)

And I never have cash either. My brother and I started a bet on who could use their bank card for the LEAST amount. HAHA!

Kari Beth said...

Of course, I LOVE it!!

Did u get it at The Potter's House Thrift? I've been wanting to go in there!

Kristen said...

LOVE the lamp!

By the way - I'm totally stealing some of your ideas for my laundry room! I'll post some pictures when I'm all finished up! :-)

Kristen and Andy said...

Wow - that lamp looks great!!! Love finding a good bargain - and that was definitely a great find!

Cuddles and Chaos said...

Wow, how beautiful. Can you share more about exactly what products you used for the lamps? We have quite a few brass lamps that we're going to get rid of because of them being brass.
Christi

The Photo Goo said...

I've been looking for two "makeover" lamps for our bedroom. The white looks really good.

hi-d said...

That lamp is AMAZING! It looks great!

I have done that with purchases as well...something under $5 and no cash in my wallet. I hate that. LOL...

Becca said...

The lamp looks beautiful! What a huge score, too! *Becca*

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

West Hill Heritage said...

Love the lamp!

Future Mama said...

Looks SOOO nice!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Kimberley said...

please share the thrift store :)
i'm in nwa too! :)

Sarah Robbins said...

Your lamp looks great! What a steal. I use a multipurpose cleaner after I use my BarKeeper's Friend. You can also just wipe it down with soapy sponge or rag.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon after bar keepers friend you can spray windex in it, that is what fly lady does!! She has a book and maybe a website I am not sure for short cuts and neat things about cleaning! Westin is so beautiful, love his sweet smile. Take Care Tammy Vaughn