Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Smash Cake Time!

I think the highlight of any first birthday party is the smash cake.  I had a feeling Westin wouldn't really like his cake and I was kind of right.  I was worried that he would totally lose it during "Happy Birthday" and that we wouldn't even get to the cake.  Haha  About a week before his party we started singing "Happy Birthday" really loudly to get him used to it.  I guess it worked because he actually smiled during the singing!  :) 

The hat didn't last long because I didn't tie it very good.  It was cute while it lasted!

He was excited when he saw the cake and acted like he really wanted it.

He immediately grabbed it when I set it down.  It was almost as big as him.  :)

Then he wasn't too sure about it. 

We had to give him a little taste and even after that he was more interested in hitting it and rubbing it into the highchair.

Classic family picture.  He wanted to share some with Cody and put some on his face.







He reacted pretty much like I thought he would.  I'm not really sure why he doesn't like cake though!!  I even tried to offer him some later that night and he turned up his nose.  He definitely doesn't get that from me or Cody!


Thank you!
Longaberger-Julie
Thirty-One Gifts
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Absolutely precious! May I ask where you got your adorble top? jlschardt@yahoo.com

Cory said...

He's such a cutie! I love all of the birthday details! You did a great job!! My little Cate was the same way with her cake.

The Branches said...

Awe! He looks so cute. Those eyelashes omg! At least he touched his cake, Connor wanted NOTHING to do with even touching his! I guess you never can predict these things :P

Emily Richardson said...

Shannon- I LOVE it all! Westin looks precious, and who would not love a cake that looks so yummy?!:) Hopefully, he'll keep that up.

Girl with the Curlz said...

Oh my gosh, he is soooo cute!! Your party looks wonderful. Adorable decorations. What a great day. It is so crazy how fast the time goes. Our little guy turns one next month. I can't believe it. I showed our little guy Westin's pictures and he was so excited and smiled and was trying to touch Westin on the computer screen. It was too cute.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Super cute. Brings back memories of my 7yo's first birthday...sniff sniff. Treasure these moments - they fly by!

p.s. I am finally out of my flu funk and will reply to your email soon. Thanks!

Emily said...

So cute! I can't believe how fast the time flies. And my little one is only two weeks old!

Looks like a super fun and creative party!

Happiness Is... said...

He is adorable!

Cari said...

He is such a doll, Shannon!! I want him and Lincoln to meet and be friends!!! lol. :)

The Crafty Side Of Life said...

So cute! You have such a cute blog!

Shannon said...

My son didn't touch is first bday cake!! He cried when we tried to get a little frosting on him :) he's three now and still doesn't like cake.

Jane said...

I have enjoyed watching your precious child growing up. My husband has seen me on your site so many times, he has learned Westin's name! Thanks for sharing your child and your decorating ideas.

hi-d said...

I can't believe Westin is already a year old! WoW! Looks like you guys had a smashing party. You are so good at all of the details and making things look like you were flipping through the pages of a magazine. :)

destiny said...

So cute! That's my favorite part of the 1st birthday too! Can't believe he doesn't care for cake! I wish I didn't!

Steph said...

Wonderful job!

Diana said...

I can't believe he is ONE!!!!!! I have watched your blog since you found out you were pregnant with him. So exciting. Congrats!!!!!