Thursday, February 24, 2011

Westin's Monthly Pictures Stand

I am gearing up for Westin's first birthday party and it is so fun!  Here is a little sneak peak of his monthly pictures that will be displayed at the party.  I got this idea from THIS blog and adapted it to match Westin's party theme. 

When I was in Little Rock a couple of weeks ago I had my dad drill 13 holes into this scrap piece of wood.  Twelve for this monthly pictures and one for a little sign that says, "My first year."  He measured my wooden dowels to make sure the holes were the right size.
I then stapled some fabric to the board.
On the bottom of the display board I hot glued felt so it would be more level and not scratch the table.

I then painted my wooden dowels white and then hot glued the ball on top.  After I glued it on top I painted it red.  It is much easier to paint a ball when it is stuck to something else and cannot roll away!  Seems very obvious but somethings you just have to find out on your own.  Haha  Obviously you don't have to glue a ball on top, I just thought it went better with his carnival theme.
Once I found all the holes in the board, I used a corn cob holder thingy to rip the fabric a little bit so the dowels would stick in with out pulling the fabric.  Does that make sense?  It was the only thing I had that was skinny enough and sharp enough.

I used scissors and trimmed some of the dowels to be shorter than the ones in the back and the front dowel to be even shorter.
To attach the pictures I used scrapbook glue.  Since his party is on his actual birthday we will do his monthly picture the day before so I can get the picture printed.  I printed his pictures at Samsclub.com in a wallet size so they would fit.  (you might have to click on the picture to see it better)  I'm not very good at explaining what I did so I hope all that makes sense!  Haha  If not, I Heart NapTime probably does a much better job!




Thank you!
Longaberger-Julie
Thirty-One Gifts
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle

17 comments:

Andrea said...

That is an awesome idea!! What a great way to display his monthly pictures!! I'm still trying to find a way to display Ava's for the BIG day! This is so cute!

Jennifer said...

That is too cute! We are doing a carnival theme for my little boy's first birthday party too. Too bad you're not having your party before us so I could steal some of your ideas. You always so the cutest things!

Tara said...

What a cute idea.

This would be great for a graduate too...putting school pictures up see how the person has changed over the years. The fabric and colors could coordinate with the school's color theme.

Kimberley said...

How cute is that! You did a great job! I can't wait to see the rest of the party details! My little one turns 1 in June, and I might have to copycat some of your ideas. :)

Carolina Girl said...

It looks GREAT!!! Isn't it so much fun to plan and prep their first bday party??

Can't wait to see what else you have planned!

Emily said...

SOOOOOOO CUTE!

I have got to do it too! I was going to put them in little buckets! It takes us an hour to get to a Hobby Lobby but those materials are on the list for next trip!

You have the best ideas!!!

Casey :) said...

What an adorable idea! I love how you have done the montly pictures and they work out so perfectly for this!

Mrs. Southern said...

This is too stinkin' cute!! I love this idea, it would be perfect to do for a themed shower of any kind too. Thanks for sharing!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

How sweet!!! I just can't believe he is turning One! Oh my gosh girl.. :)
I can't wait to see all of his pictures from the party.I know you have put your heart into this and one day he will look back and smile knowing how much you love him :)

Kayla said...

I love it what a cute idea. Can't wait to see all the pictures from his party..

Kristen and Andy said...

I LOVE this!!! If I can get my act together in time in the next two weeks...I may have to find a way to do something like this too with Cannon's monthly pics - love it! Thanks for sharing :)

destiny said...

How cute!! I love all of his monthly pictures. That's such a great way to display them for the party! I can't wait to see all the party details come together. I know it's going to be fabulous!

Mallorie said...

I just love this idea! I'm going to have to save this for when I have little ones someday! :-)

Lindsey said...

I love it!

Meg said...

What a really cute idea! Thank you for sharing!

Brittany said...

Such a cute idea! I can't wait to see his party!

Kari Beth said...

SHANNON! that is so cute! such a great idea!!!!!!!!