Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Simplifying

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am simplifying table tops and counter tops for a fresh look and also to help in cleaning.  It has worked!  I don't completely dread dusting and cleaning the house now.  ;)  I took everything off the guest bath counters and started from scratch.  Now I have only three things total on them.

 I love these fun soap pumps from Target.  They have them in clear glass and this green-ish glass.  I just buy the cheapest CLEAR soap I can find to fill it up.  I didn't want to ruin the look of the glass with a colored soap. 
 For the dining room I added a colorful tray that I already had and a grouping of silver candle holders.  My poor plant has seen better days.  I've had it for awhile so I might re-plant another one soon.
 My favorite part of simplifying is having more counter space to cook (bwahhhahhhahahh!).  In my case it is about having more space to bake.  ;)
By the kitchen sink I put THIS lamp from IKEA and framed a bible verse.  I just printed it out in a font I liked on regular printer paper because I wanted to keep it simple.  I also printed out several verses and already have them cut and in the back of the frame.  So I can change them out very easily. 

*Don't forget to scroll down one post and enter the 31 Gifts giveaway!

**Expecting A Blessing is hosting an amazing adoption auction to help with the expenses of their upcoming adoption.  There are some amazing things up for auction!  If you would like to look around and maybe help them on their journey, click HERE.

***Also, I've gotten some emails about some problems some of you are having commenting.  First of all, someone said in order to comment they are taken to a screen telling them they have to subscribe to a feed.  I haven't heard of this before.  Is this a setting on my blog or theirs?  They are reading in a reader but my blog is the only one they have a problem with.  I'm confused!  :)

****If you are still having trouble commenting, try this: Be sure you are on my whole blog, not just the current post.  Also, try highlighting the area where the comment button should be and you will see it.  I'm sorry this is so complicated! I'm not sure why it works for some and not for others.  Thanks for always being such loyal readers and letting me know when there is a problem! 


Thank you!
Longaberger-Julie
Thirty-One Gifts
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU
Willow House with Carmella Fryar

19 comments:

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

Thanks!! I've never commented because I couldn't figure out how!

Mrs. Jenk said...

Loved proverbs 15:13- that needs to be my next Beth Moore scripture to memorize- thanks Shannon!

Emily said...

Hey! Do you have your invitations for your party? I saw some cute ones on another blog and thought of you!

http://calicoandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2011/02/ticket-invitation-tutorial.html

A Hint of Home said...

Everything looks clean and fresh!
Love the soap dispenser!

SugarberrySensations said...

Oh my goodness gracious Shannon! Thank You Thank You Thank You for saying something about posting! I have been following you for quite some time now, and have never even been able to comment and have wanted to so many times! I went back to your home page - and voila - lookie here, I can comment now! YIPEEEE!
I have always wanted to tell you that you are obviously such a beautiful person INSIDE and out, you have a beautiful home, wonderful posts and Weston is an ABSOLUTE DOLL!!!!! =)

♥Lori

Janine said...

Yea! I got into your comment section now too! I am so with you on this simplifying things right now. I follow your blog faithfully and it was yours initially that inspired me to blog myself. thank you. well.. love your ideas and can't wait to see whats next!

Janine

Future Mama said...

Shannon,

Thank you for the shout out!! :-) I can't wait to meet some of your readers!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Debra said...

Love the simplifying idea! And I love the soap pump in your bathroom - so simple.

Angela said...

So true! I have found I don't mind cleaning when there is less to clean around! Love the scripture in the picture frame. May have to borrow that one! Thanks for the great ideas!

Twice as Nice said...

Over the years I have decided less is best. I have always just put "pretties" on my counters. No appliances out for me. I have less out because of the dusting time it takes and I also believe if you have too much out than the eye can't take in all in. Some people like to be surrounded by their stuff and that is fine too, just not for me! What I try to do is "rotate" my things and then I don't get too bored with them. I have a few of my favorites I always keep out. Looks great and you can use that extra time with your little cutie!

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

I love how you decorate! The first photo has my heart beating a little faster - it's so cute! I had to laugh when you posted about your plant - I have a very similiar looking fern who looks just like your plant. I'm thinking it's time to let him go and get myself something new. :)

No problems commenting!

The Watts Watch said...

Thanks for the advice! There have been so many posts I wanted to comment on, but I couldn't figure out how. :)

destiny said...

I need to simplify my counter tops! I usually love "stuff" everywhere, but lately it's feeling really cluttered. Your bathroom vanity looks nice. And I LOVE that basket in the mirror!

candace said...

i LOVE the way you decorate... im from canada and so happy that target has bought our zellers... will be great to be able to go to target to get the cute things you always have...
heading the the states this weekend... hobby lobby is on my agenda. cant wait to see what kind of cute ideas i can bring back...
got any other shops i should check out?

Kari Beth said...

The welcome screen on my phone says "LIVE SIMPLY". I love it every time I turn on my phone, it's a reminder. I love how you decorate and I dont' think it has ever looked like "too much" or over-cluttered. But, I do love the little adjustments you made! Come to my house and help me :)

Rebekah said...

Shannon,
I love love love your chalkboard coasters. You always have the cutest ideas! Seriously, I need your help at my house!

Alex and Jill said...

After Christmas I cleaned everything off my kitchen counters and have put back very little. Something about the New Year that always makes me want to throw everything out & start over! Huge fan of living & decorating simply.

Great post!

Mallorie said...

I just love your blog, and the way you decorate your house!!! :-) I've been reading your blog for a little over a year and when you commented on my blog today it was like a celebrity visited!!! :-) I was SO excited!!! Thanks for stopping by and saying "hi"!

Morgan Ryals said...

Shannon, I am new to blogging but found yours a few months ago and love your decorating ideas. Love the new look of the countertops but I must ask what you did with the antique scale? I loved it and it got me searching for one too. Thanks! P.S. I love your son's middle name...it's my oldest son's first name...good choice! :)