Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

                                                        Card designed by Artistic Designs

Thank you all for your advice on cleaning!  Sounds like bar keepers friend for the sink is what the majority of you use.  I plan on trying that and some of the other things you mentioned.  Thank you! 

Also, thanks for your comments on the red dye allergy.  I have noticed it seems to be with things that have "red dye #40" or "red color" in it.  I went to the natural food store and got him the Earth's Best breakfast bars and he loves them just as much and no red cheeks!  So far his symptoms are just red cheeks.  No behavior changes yet, but that is not to say that couldn't change when he is older.  I'm glad it is something we caught and can watch closely.  Thank you for your suggestions and advice!  Another interesting fact....his cheeks were always SOO red after he would nurse.  I had a thought this morning to look at the ingredients in my body wash (Oil of Olay Body Ribbons), and sure enough, it has red color in it.  Hmmmm  Won't be using that anymore!  :)

I'll be introducing my new sponsors this week and have a fun giveaway coming up!  Also, I'm going to show a project I have been working on for Westin's party.  :)

Happy Valentine's Day!



Thank you!
Longaberger-Julie
Thirty-One Gifts
Twice As Nice Lettering
Stella and Dot-Danielle
Studio JRU

8 comments:

A Hint of Home said...

Happy Valentine's Day!
Glad Westin loves the Earth's Best bars. Maybe you will see the redness disappear.
Hugs!

Jewell said...

Hi Shannon,

I have read your blog for quite awhile now, but am just now commenting because you struck a nerve on the food dye. After several allergy issues along with GI troubles, practically everyone in my family now are trying to eat as much organic and truly natural foods as we can. I do not want to get into the political debate about the choice, but know for sure that eating differently has made a tremendous difference healthwise on so many levels whether it is acne, migraines, or reflux. As humans, we tend to understand that we cannot run our car engines on junk, but we are not willing to recognize the same for our own bodies. My rule is basically if I cannot identify the ingredients, even with my biology and chemistry background, then I probably should not eat it. If there are a bunch of adjectives attached to things, like "bleached, enriched" flour, then I avoid those too. There are many issues that I wholeheartedly recognize, a huge one of which is cost. Therefore, we have gotten creative in where we shop, couponing, etc. We all garden, which helps significantly in the summer and even throughout the year with the vegetables we can freeze and things we can. Fortunately, we have a Wholefoods close by and I make at least one monthly trip to Trader Joe's and Earthfare both of which are about an hour's drive from my house. If you do not have those near you, I wanted to share with you a website we use. Besides the obvious, vitamins, www.vitacost.com has food items as well. Their shipping is cheap, sometimes even free depending on specials, and the service is very quick. Somethings are just not made and ready or maybe just do not taste great (ie. salad dressings - I have yet to find an organic salad dressing I like so I just make my own vinegarettes, 1000 island, ranch, honey mustard, etc. from organic ingredients) so we find ourselves going back to the good ole days and making them from scratch, which is really not bad at all. I am so sorry your little guy is having reactions, but truly praise you for being such a great mommy and detecting the source!!!

Cuddles and Chaos said...

Yay for finding some things that don't have red dye, etc. That's crazy that your body wash has it, good job checking it out!

I have to tell you that I bought the rosemary mint and the black raspberry/white tea suave this weekend...WOW. Even my husband was excited to use the rosemary mint. My hair loved it as well.

Do you know where you can find the bar keeper's friend? I need to get some of that!

Happy 1st Valentine's Day Westin!

Christi

Cuddles and Chaos said...

BTW, here's the link to the ingredients in the Trader Joe cereal bars. I'd be happy to send you some if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you.

http://www.goodguide.com/products/269116-trader-joes-this-strawberry-walks-into-a-bar

Future Mama said...

Cute picture!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am soooo glad I found your blog!! My son is almost 5 and gets really red cheeks but I never would of thought about it being a dye issue!! Going to "test" it tomorrow. He also has poop issues so this could explain that too. So excited to maybe have found the cause to this!!
(he also is autistic and has behavior issues. so excited that it may help that too! We haven't tried diet changes yet)
Karen

Southern Fried Gal said...

What a cutie! Oh the allergies. I thought my boy was going to be allergic to everything except breast milk for a while. Praise the Lord that was not the case afterall - ha ha ha. Kudos to you for being so diligent in finding the source!

Sarah Robbins said...

Target and Walmart sometimes carry all natural cereal bars, too, so you don't have to make a special trip to the whole foods store. :) Just a suggestion. Hopefully, he will outgrow it though. My baby girl gets red cheeks after nursing too- I'm going to check my products for red dye. . .