Monday, November 29, 2010

Winner and The Evolution of a Topper

According to random.org, the winner of the calendar is #15, The Glass Family! Congratulations! Send me an email and I'll get your info to Kim. Don't forget, if you didn't win and would like one, you can order it HERE.


It was so nice to come home from Thanksgiving to a house decorated for Christmas. Since I knew I would be helping put up my grandmother's tree and my mom's, I decorated our house before we left. I probably get the most questions every year about my Christmas tree topper. It is normal looking to us since it has looked like this the last 7 years but I guess it could look strange to others. Haha I just wanted something different than a big bow or traditional star. There is nothing wrong with those looks, I was just looking for something different.

I started with a glittered "Merry Christmas" and just stuck it on the front. Then I put two red glitter-y picks on top.

Next, I stuck in three green glitter-y picks.

Cody thinks these look alien-ish. ;)

My favorite part are the feathers. I bought several different sizes at Hobby Lobby all half off.

I started with the largest ones and then worked down to the smallest ones. I just stuck them in randomly.

That's it! Pretty simple. You could probably find very similar pieces at Hobby Lobby or a local decorating store that sells Christmas decorations.

My original goal this year was to put this smaller tree in the dining room with our personal ornaments on it and put our bigger tree in the living room. Once I was finished with this tree though, I was done! haha Maybe next year we will have two trees. :) I really like it in our dining room though. Please ignore the towel under the urn. :) What do you use as a topper on your tree?



20 comments:

duchess said...

Looks good & I love the alien looking items - they add a nice touch.

Paige said...

My tree topper is the angel my grandmother used with my mom and three aunts when they were little girls! Have a great week.

Keetha Denise Broyles said...

Very cute tree - - - all of it, not JUST the topper!

Reese Ray said...

Your topper is so pretty! I love it!!! I just use a big bow and lots of the glittery swirly sticks for the top of our tree. I might have to try to copy your idea next year though!

Brittany said...

Looks so great!

We branched out and bought a real tree for the first time this year! I am so excited, but also feel a little lost about what to do!

julie & joe said...

It looks great! I switch tree toppers from time to time. I'm not sure what I will go with this year. I did a tiny tree when Aaron was little with all unbreakable ornaments.
I have 3 or 4 trees if I can get them all up.

Anonymous said...

I love your tree like I did last year. One hint with a baby , take the baby out of the playpen and put the tree in it! That's what we did and it worked to keep the little ones from toppling it down.
Merry Christmas! I hear my DDIL has been in touch ( from Pea Ridge)

Traci said...

I think it looks great! I do a crazy looking topper with stuff sticking everywhere too!!

Life with my sweeties said...

It looks great!

Alex and Jill said...

Beautiful tree!!

I top ours with a star!

Object of Maya*ffection said...

OOhh Shannon, I LOVE your topper and I did something very similar and NOW I know why it seemed like I had seen it before! Unfortunatly my guy was hoping for the traditional angel or star...so NOT me! You;ll have to check out my blog in a few days to see it! (I need time to photograph :) ) Have a GREAY holiday season!

Jamie said...

We just use a boring star from Target, but I'd like to do something fun like yours!

Meredith said...

I love it!!! Next year when I can move, I will have to make a better topper!!!!

Leslie said...

what a creative idea,love the feathers!

Emily said...

Your house is so stinking cute and I just love your ideas. I talk to all of my friends and family about your blog!

In fact, you have inspired me to start my own blog! We shall see how this goes!

Girl with the Curlz said...

Your tree looks so pretty. I am not that creative to make that cute topper (ha-ha). We just put an angel at the top of ours:-)

Girl with the Curlz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Buttercup Bliss said...

I love your tree topper - the feathers are my favorite part! Too cute! We use a huge bow and this year I added red, glittery twirly pics. We also have shiny red berries randomly placed throughout the tree.

Susan said...

Your tree topper motivated me to "branch" out and try something new! I even pulled up your blog on my cell phone this morning so I could take one last look. My dream has always been a tree with pink accents, but with three boys in the house I always get voted down! This year I put up a small tree with my boys favorite hockey team as the theme decorating it. This gave me the freedom to top my other tree my way! So pink and teal now so beautifully adorn it! Thank you for the idea!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Susan

Southern Fried Gal said...

So cute! It cracks me up that you call it an alien. OK - it's 9:13 on Tuesday and I sent you two email - one around 6 ish and another just a few minutes ago. Let me know if you didn't get either of them. Thanks!