Saturday, September 4, 2010

Westin's Food

A couple of weeks ago we started Westin on solids. He had been sleeping through the night since about 8 weeks but around 5 months he started getting up again to eat. After a couple weeks of him doing that we decided it was time to start baby food. He is back to sleeping through the night thank goodness.

When I was pregnant, my friend Mandi let me borrow this book. I highly recommend it! I took some key points and summarized them on our pantry chalkboard.


"C,P" means cooked and pureed. I decided to make his food and so far it has gone great. It is sooo easy! At first I wasn't sure what I was doing and I'm pretty sure I called my friend Lindsey every hour but now I'm more confident. :) I cook it, puree it and freeze it. Once it is frozen then I pop the cubes out of the ice tray and put them in labeled freezer bags. Every night I put a couple of cubes in the fridge to thaw out for the next day. Easy peasy.

Here are his avocados, pears, apples, bananas, squash and sweet potatoes ready to be made.

His very first taste of anything besides breastmilk was avocados. He knew just what to do with the spoon and barely spit any out. He shivered and gagged every time he swallowed but always wanted more! :)

He's not too fond of his rice cereal but he always eats it. Now that he has had bananas, I'll mix it with his cereal so it's not so bland. His absolute favorite has been sweet potatoes. He cries when they are gone. He is definitely his father's son because I hate any kind of potato and Cody could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day.

We have also given him Mum Mum's. A few of my friends introduced me to these and I think he likes them. You can't tell by his face though! Haha

I can't believe my baby is holding food and eating it! Much less sitting in a chair at the table!

Next he will be trying peas.....hopefully he will like those as much as he likes sweet potatoes! Fingers crossed!

19 comments:

Jess said...

LOVE the chalkboard on the pantry door. Great idea! I couldn't help but to notice the calendar that looks like it's hanging on the wall (to the left of avocado, pears, etc) that has little pockets. Where did you find that? I'd love something like that to get me more organized.

Cindy said...

The chalkboard is so pretty! I made both of my boys baby food except for their applesauce and cereal. It's a lot easier than people think. This is one of my favorite ages. I love when they start experiencing more of their little worlds. He's a cutie!

Alex and Jill said...

He is doing very well with solids! I have heard of the MumMum's, but don't know where to get them or exactly what they are. Where do I find them?

Rosemary said...

Hey Shannon,

By any chance did you read the reviews on that book on AMazon? If not, you should. There is a lot of info about carrots, nuts and cottage cheese. Just a suggestions.
Love, love the chalkboard!!!!

The Smith Family said...

I found your blog through your sister in laws blog, who I have been praying for for the past year. Any who! i feel like I need to introduce myself! ha

I have a 7 month old little boy, arn't they the best? they love their mama's. I make D's food also and have had great success with it. He will eat just about anything. His favorite is broccoli. the only baby food I keep on hand is Ellas kitchen(target) its organic and taste great. I keep it for when we are out and about. I had a question... where did you get the mumums? they look perfect for D to chew on. Weston is adorable!!

'The H Family' said...

that is so cute!! he's such a big boy eating all that food...and sitting at the table!! i am cracking up cuz i'm pretty sure that this is the first time in all your life you have actually bought some of those foods...oh the things we'll do for our children!! such a good mama!! :) i just can't wait til he is old enough to ask you why you won't eat any of it! :)

Darlene said...

He is so cute eating all those foods! Hopefully he will continue to like all kinds of different foods.♥

Cari said...

We used that same book! Except we have edition 2. I have been meaning to post about making mine too bur just haven't yet! I love making my food too. Too funny he cried when the sweet potatoes were gone- Lincoln just acts indifferent about almost everything we feed him! I also recommend Yo Baby yogurt (at Target). It's organic and Lincoln likes eating it!! Can't wait to meet Westin!

Tina Leigh said...

That is one handsome baby boy!!!! My grandaughter LOVED sweet taters...she is OK with them now (almost 3 years old). I love your pictures of him...reminds me so much of pictures I took of my granddaughter when she was that age (seems like yesterday). Enjoy every moment!

The Photo Goo said...

Glad to hear you're using the book :) I used to love figuring out what the next food would be. You're so organized with your chalkboard wall.

He's such a cutie pie. I love all of his expressions!

Lindsey said...

I love those pictures! And of course, you found a much cuter way to keep up with his foods. :)

Monogramchick said...

He is toooo cute. I think he likes the MumMum's too. I can't wait until my little nephew gets to eat some solids!! I think you have the preppiest chalkboard I have ever seen :)

Pamela said...

He has the most beautiful eyes Shannon! Getting sooo big soo fast!

Jamie said...

OH, I love that chalkboard in your pantry!! My little guy is 14 months but when we started solids at 6 months, that same book guided me every step of the way. It made me feel so good to make his food everyday. Mum-mums are great, too! Like a previous poster mentioned, Yo Baby yogurt is great! My little guy is still obsessed with it.

I'm curious about your calendar, too! Where did you find that?

Love your blog!

Shannon said...

Hi Jess!

I got the calendar at Borders. I usually can only find one like it there or Sams Club. I want it to have a pocket, open squares for the dates as opposed to squares with lines in it, and a little hook on top to hang it on a thumb tack. Since I'm so picky and want so many things out of it I usually only find one or two. So it is usually not cute or something I would pick decorating wise but the other three things over-rule the pictures on it. :)

Jennifer said...

Westin is getting so big! I cannot believe it's already time for him to start solid food!

I made all of Brody's food except carrots and rice cereal. It was really easy and I enjoyed doing it. I used wholesomebabyfood.com for all of our info and recipes.

Katie said...

The door looks so cute! You are so organized, oh my word... And Westin's eyes are the brightest I've ever seen on a baby...he just looks like he's ready for anything! How precious...

Melea Fry said...

I have been following your blog for a month or so now and I absolutely LOVE it! I came across it through a mutual friend's blog, Marci Rogers. I love all your decorating ideas and crafts! Also, I have passed on your baby advice to my sister-in-law. My brother and her just had a baby a couple of weeks ago!
I am fairly new in the blog world- so don't expect alot- but I would love for you to see mine and give any input you might have! One is personal and one is my preschool's blog. The sites are meleafry.blogspot.com and gandgpreschool.blogspot.com. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell yout that I enjoy reading about you and your family! God bless!

The Branches said...

Thank you for posting this! You know Connor is the same age and I've been struggling with what to feed him! It's been quite a struggle lately b/c he doesn't want to eat ANYTHING solid! I get so frustrated and just go back to the bottle...I guess it will all happen with time.