Friday, August 13, 2010

Westin's Routine....For Now At Least

Thank you for your prayers for our family this week. We have definitely felt them.

I've had a couple of people ask about Westin's day so I thought I would answer the questions in one post. I really feel like we are settling into a "schedule" and our days are not as unpredictable. I know this is always changing but for the past couple of weeks this is how it's been. :)


Babies in pajamas are the sweetest!

Did we swaddle and if so, for how long?
We swaddled Westin for a couple of weeks after he was born. It stressed me out because it always seemed to come up over his nose and mouth. So basically I wasn't sleeping because I was always tugging his Swaddle Me down because it wouldn't stay. Usually at some time in the middle of the night I would end up taking it off and wrapping him really tight in a blanket. He seemed to like that but he always wanted his arms and hands up by his face. So eventually we just put him in footed pj's and he just had a blanket tucked under his arms. This worked for about 3-3.5 months because he didn't wriggle too much. About a month and a half ago we started putting him in a sleep sack for his naps and bedtime. He loves this because his arms are free, he can move around but his "blanket" still keeps him warm. He now knows that this means sleep time and it has become part of his nap/bedtime routine.

How did we transition Westin to his crib?
Why is this so hard? :) We moved Westin to his crib when he was around 8 weeks. Before we moved him he was still nursing every 2 hours at night. I knew he should be going longer so I thought if I didn't hear every noise and movement he made then he would probably go back to sleep without needing to eat. It worked! I told myself I did not need to go feed him unless he was crying. Two weeks after we moved him to his room he slept through the night (10-5). He ate at 5 and then went back to sleep until 8. This started a good routine that lasted. The first night he slept in his crib I don't think I slept at all. I stared at the video moniter all night! Haha All I can say is that this transition is hard but it got a little easier every night.

Does he have a nap/bedtime routine?
Sort of. For naps I turn on his little fan (noise maker), put him in his sleep sack, kiss him and tell him "night night" and then lay him in his crib. He will usually talk himself to sleep. For bedtime we turn on the fan, put him in his sleep sack, feed him and then put him in his crib.

More baby pj's!

What's a typical day like?
Eat, play, sleep
8:00-8:45 am- Wake up, eat, play
10 ish (or 2 hours after he wakes up)- Nap
He is a cat napper so he usually only sleeps 30 minutes to an hour.
When he wakes up he either eats or plays until it's time to eat.
He eats every 3 hours.
Likes to play in his excersauser, on his activity mat, in his swing or just hang out in his room with his toys. We like to get out at least once a day too.
1 or 2 ish- second nap
He takes a bath every other day.
Around 7 pm we started getting him in his pj's and getting him ready for bed.
7:30 pm- he eats and then goes to bed
Somewhere around 4-6 am he will wake up to nurse but then go back down until 8-8:45 am.
I hope I didn't leave out anyone's questions. By NO means do we have this parenting thing down or even close to it. We just do our best with the Lord's help and do what works for us. I'm a big believer in you just do what is best for your baby/family and not worry about what others think. :) However, I do love to hear how others do it because there is always room for me to improve and get new ideas.

I have been the world's worst about tummy time! Poor baby is probably so behind in this skill. We are cracking down on this and really working on it. :) He is finally coming around and liking it a little more.

Happy Weekend!!
P.S. Some of our friends started a blog about their adoption process if you would like to read about it here.

23 comments:

Katie said...

Goodness, he is a cutie! He always looks so bright-eyed. I, too, am a sucker for a baby in jommies...esp. the shortie ones...where did you find those? Adorable! Oh, and I never started tummy time with AK till she was almost 4 months old. I was wretched at that. :o/ Kisses to Mister W! :o)

jenn said...

he is getting so big!!

Anna said...

He's such a cutie pie!

Sounds like you're doing everything right (for you). What a sweetheart.

Keetha Denise Broyles said...

Routine or no routine, he is absolutely adorable!

Happiness Is... said...

That first picture is just gorgeous! I can't believe how big he is getting!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

So sweet, I love me a jammied up baby!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

He is such a CUTIE!!! And he has the best smile!!

Kari Beth said...

sweet, sweet boy! what a great schedule y'all have going! i am impressed (and, to be completely honest, a little jealous)!

hi-d said...

Oh...he has the sweetest face, Shannon! I love hearing about your typical day and all the little details. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ruth Ann said...

He is sooo adorable. Just wondering though why many bloggers lately are using noise machines to help their babies sleep? With my first son I set a really bad sleep routine, and at five he still has issues with sleeping and sleeping through the night. We did something totally different with my youngest who is three and he sleeps fine with no "help." I just wonder if maybe using things like noise machines they'll have to depend on that to soothe themselves and will not ever be able to sleep on their own without it. My sister-in-law who is in her forties has to have the tv on because growing up she needed that noise to help her go to sleep. She conditioned herself that way.

I'm just giving this advice, because I would hate for it to be problematic for him down the road. Like I said with our first son we have learned the hard way! My youngest son like I said can put himself to sleep and any noise can be going on in the house drilling, pounding...and what not and he doesn't wake up easily. It's wonderful!

3LittleByrds said...

He is too cute. He looks like such a happy baby too.

Sara said...

Westin has the cutest little face!

Katy said...

He's so darling! ...makes me excited and ready to see our newest little addition.
Sounds like you're getting the whole mama/baby schedule down and everything else. Do what works for ya both. :)

Fabiola said...

He is so cute!! I love his smile and his eyes! What wonderful eyes!!!

Emily said...

Thanks for the update!
I am trying to get my little guy to not be swaddled anymore...I too worry about the over the mouth thing...

Off to the store to get us a sleep sack!

Darlene said...

He is just ADORABLE!!!!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

He is just such a sweetie....and what a great smile!!

Everday Edwards said...

Precious blog, precious baby!

Jaimi

Mariam said...

hey, let's do some online window shopping here.
http://theladiessite.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

The blue footie jammies picture is adorable!

CarolinaGirl said...

He is such a little doll baby! We love our baby pj's in this house too.

Amy said...

So cute!!!! He is getting so big and is just as precious as can be! Those eyes are to die for....how will you ever say no to him? I love jammied up babies, too! Especially now that my Libbi is growing so fast, seeing her in her jammies still makes her look like my little baby! Love all the pics of Westin - thanks for sharing!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Oh my word - he is seriously one of the cutest baby boys I have ever seen. He reminds me of my first - who turns 7 on Thursday! Sniff.