Monday, August 30, 2010

Shameless Copy and Great Source

Whew! I think it has taken me all week to unpack, do laundry and settle back in since our stay with Gran and G-Daddy. We also started Westin on some food this past week. I'll post on that later.

I saw these cute mini chalkboard signs over at Team Lashlee and knew I wanted to make some for some baskets in our house. Lauren and her husband will be welcoming twin boys soon so she made some for their nursery.

She used foam core for her chalkboards but I will do almost anything to avoid cutting foam core (I did waaaay to much of that in my interior design college days) so I found these foam sheets at the dollar store.
I cut them in half with scissors, painted them with chalkboard paint and then hot glued them onto burlap just like Lauren did. I then hot glued some ribbon on and called it done.

These could be used for all sorts of things! What about place cards? Thanks Lauren for the great idea!

Whenever I find fun sites I like to share them with you. Simply-Bags is one of those sites. Look at this cute insulated lunch tote.

This will come in handy now that Westin is eating foods. It is big enough to hold both our lunches and a bottle (hahahahaha!). He actually took one bottle for my mom though! Anyways, if you are on my Christmas list then you might be getting some sort of bag this year. The duffel bags, laptop bags and tote bags are some of my favorites. I think they have great prices too! Just wanted to pass along this fun site!

16 comments:

Alex and Jill said...

Cute stuff!

I think your Dad held the door open for me and Amelia at Walmart tire center. He was probably wondering why I was staring at him so closely. Haha! I was trying to figure out where I knew his face from and then it hit me! I'm almost positive it was him. :)

Sole said...

I love this!!! I'm making a playroom for the kids and have been looking for ideas to label everything. This will work perfectly! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Lauren Lashlee said...

Looks great Shannon!! I love the place card idea!!

Debbie said...

I love those tags, maybe I will be copying too! lol

Katie said...

Cute tote!!

Stephanie said...

You made me laugh with the not cutting foam core thing!! I was an Interior Design major too and after all those design boards, I am right there with you!! I still get panicked when I walk by the framing dept at Michael's and Hobby Lobby and I remember all the mat cutting I once had to do!! All those late nights of gluing boards together and re-arranging samples! So glad those days are over :)

Meg said...

I just love your idea!!! Thank you for sharing your creativity! Where have you found the best place to buy chalk board paint?
So exciting about starting Westin on solids! I loved when Harrison entered that stage -made life so much easier! :)

Rhonda said...

Adorable idea!! I feel your pain with the foam core :)

Katy said...

great idea on the little chalkboards!

Mamma Girl said...

Thanks for sharing the mini chalkboard idea, I have a son that is a year old and have been looking for ways to label his bins. Great idea, I will be making some of these for my house!

Amanda Jo said...

LOVE those chalkboard signs!!! I'm always looking for creative ways to organize my home. Thanks for sharing this! :)

Mrs of the Regiment said...

Glad to know that someone else is suffering on the washing front. I have just spent 12 weeks away (between my in-laws and my parents) and all I feel I have done this week is washing. And, I still have a pile. No sooner does it look like I am almost done than Baby Girl produces yet more!

Diane said...

I like... I guess if you get my name this year, I might be able to guess what I'm getting?! ;) Of course, by then, I'll need something to hold a bottle!

mrs.mfc said...

I love how simple but pretty that is! I am going to make a note to myself right this second so I will remember to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Shannon,
What a very clever idea! I love the idea of using foam board covered with some pretty burlap. Wonderful and very creative.
So nice to visit you today.
I will take some inspiration on my way...
Yvonne

Heather said...

Those are super cute, the little chalkboard signs! Love your little tote!