Monday, August 16, 2010

Dutch Boy Review Part 1

When I was contacted by Dutch Boy and asked if I would like 4 gallons of free paint I didn't think twice! Yes, please! I could pick out any color in any finish. I chose the ever exciting Off White and also Basketweave.

I was so excited when I came because it was zero VOC. That means I could paint while Westin napped and not worry about it. :) I had also never used Dutch Boy and was excited to see how it covered.


I decided to paint a hallway and one guestroom with Basketweave. These two rooms were some of the last rooms in our house that were still builder beige.

BEFORE:




It was hard to photograph this room but there was barely any difference between the ceiling and walls. Just basic white.

DURING:

Big difference. I was so excited to see a deeper color on these walls. I also loved how I didn't smell the paint. It also covered so well! It was a one coat process. You can't beat that!

AFTER:


I love this color! To me it is the perfect neutral. It is dark enough to have contrast with the white molding but not neutral enough to not be over powering.

We also painted one of our guestrooms. We did this on a Friday night and did the touch ups the next day. Cody was also excited it was a one-coater. It made the process so fast and enjoyable.

BEFORE:


Again, there was hardly any contrast with the ceiling, curtains or furniture.

AFTER:


Ahhhhhh, much better. It just makes everything looks so much better to me. As you can see I didn't hang the plates above the bed.....still deciding on if I want those or something else up there. This is the view from the hallway walking into the room:


AFTER:


It was hard to get a good picture of these rooms to show the contrast but I think you can get the idea. In person it is a big difference and we are so happy with the change. In the end we were both so pleased with this paint and I cannot imagine using anything else now.


If you have used Dutch Boy paint you can enter your before and after at Restore My Decor. HGTV designer Danielle Hirsch posts her restored rooms and you browse DIYers restored rooms. You can also enter to have one of your rooms restored by Danielle Hirsch or the Dutch Boy design panel. How fun! Also, you can "like" them on Facebook HERE and be a part of the live chats with Danielle.


Stay tuned to see what we did with our two gallons of Off White Dutch Boy paint. :) It is going to be a BIG project. Let's just say that I am much more excited about it than Cody and my Dad. They think they will be doing most of the work and they are probably right! Haha



10 comments:

Susie from Bienvenue said...

I too have some Dutch Boy coming my way. I still have to decided on the colors first. I'm still looking at the paint fan for ideas. I do see the change in your rooms. Pretty pretty! I can't wait to see your next project. It's gonna be good I'm certain of that! Tell Dad and Cody to hang in there. They are doing it for a great cause...."us"....hehe. Have a great week Mrs. Shannon and give that adorbale Weston a (((hug))) from me. Susie~

Hyperactive Lu said...

Such pretty colors!! I'm tempted to do a paint redo in our rental home! :)

Katy said...

Neat! Sounds like great paint and glad you liked the after results, paint is so much fun. (well, afterwards it is..i don't enjoy doing it really).....although I have LOTS of painting ahead of me right now. Ugh, maybe I can force the people that love me to do it. (crossing fingers... ha ha)

Lookin good Shan

Heather said...

How fun to get free paint and test it out! I love the colors you picked and the before and after pictures are great!

Donna said...

The changes are very nice, Shannon! What's not to love about a one-coat process?!?! Makes me want to try it out. Have a great day with that little cutie pie of yours...loved the pictures you posted of Westin.

Keeping Up With Kaegan said...

I think the plates look GREAT in that spot. Nice color choices, def gonna try the Dutch Boy paint now.

Pamela said...

It looks wonderful Shannon! New paint always makes me happy! Speaking of which how in the world were you so lucky to get 4 gallons free?? Hello Dutch Boy you can come knocking on my door anytime! Ha!;) Really though your rooms look great. I always have enjoyed your decorating style.

Seizing My Day said...

Free Paint ~ where do I sign up!?!! ha ha! I love the color! fun to pop a wall isn't it?!! I really need to paint second coats on nearly every room in my house! I am horrible that way!! ;)

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Great choice in color! It is so cozy looking!
Can not wait to see what you do with the 2 gallons of white!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Lauren Lashlee said...

Love that color and I am glad to know they offer paint like that! I will have to keep that in mind the next time I am wanting to spruce up the house. By the way- Westin is so stinkin cute and getting sooo big! He has beautiful big blue eyes!! So precious!