Monday, May 10, 2010

A Special Mother's Day

Yesterday was such a special day. My very first Mother's Day. I thought a lot about last year and how I wondered if I would ever be celebrating as a Mom. I prayed a lot for those who are still waiting to celebrate as a Mom too. I've been there so those of you who are still waiting are never far from my thoughts and prayers.


Yesterday was also very special because we dedicated Westin to the Lord. We believe I Samuel 1:27-28, "I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord." As our pastor said, we want to parent with our hands open because we know he belongs to the Lord.

Great minds think alike! Elizabeth and I worn the exact same thing! :)
Here is the whole gang. Elizabeth and Joseph and my younger brother Andrew were able to come and so were Cody's parents and my parents. It made the day even more special. (Jason and Katie already go to our church) ;)

After church we headed over to our house for lunch.
Cody and I made stepping stones for our moms. My friend Christina did this when her first son was born and I always loved the idea. We put Westin's foot prints, name and age on them.

My parents got us a picture frame with Westin's name and dedication date engraved on it. It also has a Bible verse on the bottom. Luke 2:40, "And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him." What a great verse to pray over Westin's life.
Westin's great-grandparents, GiGi and Papa gave him his first Bible.

Since my parents and Cody's parents were here for the weekend we got a lot done around the yard. We also went to a craft fair where I got this metal flower for my door.

Cody bought me some flowers for my pots and planted them for me for Mother's Day. I went with a lime and purple theme this year.
My Dad and his Dad helped him stain our deck too.
Cody's parents bought us two knock out rose bushes. I cannot wait until these grow!

33 comments:

Jenna said...

Happy First Mother's Day Shannon!!!! I am so, so happy for you!!

Amanda Jo said...

What a great first Mother's Day!! I just love how joyful you all are!!

Girl with the Curlz said...

Happy first Mother's Day to you. It looks like you had a wonderful day.

Brittany said...

Congrats to you on your first mother's day and dedicating Westin! There is nothing like being a mommy! And nothing so wonderful as raising your baby to know the Lord!

You look beautiful and glowing in all of these pics!

I got some pretty flowers for my backyard for Mother's day, too!

I love the peonies in your last post, and am now on the hunt for some for myself (along with a limelight hydrangea)!

You will not believe how crazy full of roses those knock outs will get! Mine sometimes get out of control! I have had to cut them back the last two winters and they still go crazy come spring/summer!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

I thought about you on Sunday :)

Anonymous said...

Love the dress! Where is it from?

~aj~ said...

What a special day! It'll be a Mother's Day that you will never forget!

Katie said...

HAPPY 1ST MOTHER'S, SHANNON!!! I loved seeing the pictures of Westin and all y'all's family. AWESOME verse that your parent's included on their gift! LOVE that! I have always wanted some knockouts...I've not tried those yet.

Meg said...

Happy First Mother's Day! Isn't it the best? I love that stepping stone idea! Where did you find the stones to do that?
How neat to have your baby dedicated on Mother's Day! You look beautiful!

Emily said...

Happy First Mother's Day! Your family is beautiful!

I love your flowers!

Traci said...

You're going to love those knockout roses! They're GORGEOUS when the start blooming!!

Musings Of A Gem said...

Glad you had a nice first mothers day! It must of been SOOO special :D.

Westin's foot prints look so tiny..adorable!

Gemma X http://musings-of-a-gem.blogspot.com/

julie & joe said...

Your flowers are beautiful! I love to use sweet potato vine. Your fist Mother's Day is special! I also wondered if I would ever get to celebrate as a mother.

LuLu said...

Such a sweet day!!!
xo,
LuLu

Pemberley Court said...

What a wonderful day!!!!!! I've missed reading your blog..haven't been online for the past few months....needed some down time. I am so happy to see you with your sweet lil man. What a blessed family!!!

Lanie

Honey, Does This Blog Make Me Look Fat? said...

Happy Mother's Day! Such a special day...congrats!

Fabiola said...

Happy Mother's Day!!! You are looking gorgeous and so happy!!!!

Courtney said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day!

Lana said...

Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day! We just bought a knock out rose bush, too!

McGlaughlin Family said...

Congrats! He is so cute Shannon:) I had Faith give me a blog make over, whrn you have a free moment (ha)take a look
Sweet Blessings~

Heather said...

Happy first Mother's day to you!! Love your dresses, where did y'all get them? So cute!! So glad you had a great day friend!!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you had such a special first Mother's Day! I just love that 1 Samuel 1 verse. I actually just used it in a new piece of art TODAY! :)

Jess said...

Will you post info on the footprint stone? What a neat idea!

Reynie said...

Glad your first Mother's Day went so well! Your plants look amazing and that little one is getting bigger and bigger!

Jenn said...

You look beautiful ~ you can't even tell you had a baby!! (no fair!) =) What a great time to dedicate your little man!! We dedicated both our babies around 3 months old too - which ended up being on my birthday and my mom's birthday! SO long ago now!! sniff! =) Blessings!!

Alex and Jill said...

A wonderful first Mother's Day!! Your family is always doing yard work with each other....do you guys want to come over to my house and hang out??? LOL

Southern Fried Gal said...

Happy belated Mother's Day! The first one is always special. This year BBC is six and it was probably the best so far because he really got it and loved and pampered me all day. Boys are special! Yours is a cutie!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Happy Mother's Day Shannon!! Congratulations on Westin's dedication.

Sara said...

Happy First Mothers Day

Cuddles and Chaos said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day.

I just bought that dress at Target, but i didn't see the white cardigan. I can't wait to wear it.

sarah cantrell said...

Im totally new to the blogging world!! I love your blog just found it!! Your family is precious!!!

julia said...

happy mothers day!! where did you guys get those dresses???

Blogger said...

Sprinter - Function One (160BPM)