Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nursery Curtains Part II

I had several of you ask about how I made the nursery curtains without sewing. First, you must go HERE and read The Nester's post about mistreatments. She gives a run down on her techniques. I first heard about no-sew window treatments from her about a year ago. Ever since then I'm always thinking about how I can make pretty window treatments the fast and easy way without breaking out the sewing machine. I'm not very good at explaining things but I'll try my best. :)

So for the nursery curtains I ironed a crease in all four sides of the toile fabric. After I did that I took some iron on hem tape (from Wal*mart or Hob Lob or any fabric/craft store) and placed it inside the crease and ironed it on according to the directions.

I did the same thing to the bottom plaid fabric as well. However, I now know that I didn't have to do all four sides of both fabrics. I could have only done three sides of one of the fabrics because when you place one fabric on top of the other it would have covered the un-hemmed edge of the other fabric. Since I did all four sides of both fabrics it made the place where they overlapped a little thick so I used fabric glue to attach the two fabrics. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

That is all I did! They were so easy. There are different types of no-sew hem tape so just get the one that is made for the weight of your fabric. You can see in the picture above that we raised the curtain rod and it looks much better.

I clipped the panels on some ring clips and they were finished. Some of you asked about the paint color too but for some reason I couldn't get to your profiles so HERE is the post where I talked about the paint. If you have asked me a question and have not heard back then that means I cannot get to you. Either there is not an email address left or your blogger profile is not accessible (those are the main problems I have). I will always answer every question. So please make sure there is a way for me to contact you. The best way is just leave your email address in your comment.

I also could not wait to show you this hat I ordered. I found it HERE and will be using it in Westin's newborn pictures. I cannot wait! :) I hope you are staying warm! We are snowed in!

35 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Too cute!

Katie said...

Can't wait to see that sweet baby! Bless his heart...

Shady Lady! said...

Love the hat. You went all out on the mistreatments! I did some for our bedroom and just clipped & poofed the top, and left all the edges raw & turned them in - suprisingly worked too.

Have a great weekend!

Paige said...

Love that cute hat! Can't wait to see it on Westin.. Have a great weekend!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Shannon those are darling! Love them. I love the name Westin and can't wait to see pics of him in that adorable hat. Our 2 baby girls are due in a couple of months! :)

Cari said...

O my Shannon -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hat!! I may have to check into that too, but I don't want to steal your idea :) Maybe I'll find another variation of it!

The nursery is looking awesome! Keep up the good work. :)

Sarah said...

this nursery is too cute! The hat is adorable!

Crystal said...

I love that little hat!!! We are snowed in too in NC!!!

Brittany said...

Such a cute hat! Love the curtains too!

Laurey said...

Your nursery is gorgeous - love the new drapes and how inventive you are....I have used the that same tape for drapes before - great stuff and easy to use.

Cari said...

You are right...I just got on there and they do have a ton! I know I can find something really cute.

My next appointment is Wednesday morning at 9:00. I'll try to text you about how it goes and/or blog about it!

Thanks for thinking of me....I am getting excited and anxious all at the same time!

Deidre said...

You make it look so easy. I want to do this for my master bedroom and bathroom but am waiting to find the right accent fabric. I wish I had them today since we're snowed in :)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

The curtains are beautiful--but that hat is TDF!! LOVE it!

~ Sarah

Susan said...

Oh my! How cute! His little room is so adorable...you are so creative:) That hat is soooo cute too, what a cute picture that will be:)) Pop over to my blog and check out my very 1st give-a-way!! Have a great weekend:))

Carli said...

Beautiful. I love the color scheme, I have a similar color scheme in my little guys nursery! Looks Beautiful!

Playing Sublimely said...

Ummm...I totally love you :)! So fun over here!

hi-d said...

Thanks for sharing. Those curtains turned out beautiful! Oh, that hat is sooooo cute! Can't wait to see it on him. :) I was praying for you and Katie today...

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

That sweet little hat is ADORABLE!!! Love it! And your nursery is coming along beautifully :).

Blessings,
Stacey

Alex and Jill said...

I love those little hats. Mike Beth uses them in her photography a lot. You need to use her - she isn't far from you. We were going to have Amelia's newborn pics done by her, but her coming early and all...didn't work out. I'm hoping to get some made by her when Amelia starts sitting up!

duchess said...

Great idea for the curtains & they look terrific.

A Hint of Home said...

Curtains are so cute but that hat is adorable!!
Stay warm and safe in this winter storm.

Vanessa said...

I almost want to buy one of these hats to display in Luna's room... they're adorable!!!

Texas Preacher Woman said...

This has got to be the most adorable baby boy's nursery I've ever seen! Enjoy! There's nothing like planning for that first one!

Grins,
Pamm

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Just perfect! I cant wait to see Little Weston in that hat...ADORABLE~

julie & joe said...

That is the cutest hat. A friend of muine is a photographer. You should check out her site. She is close to the MO/AR line. http://www.calotype-photography.com/
She has the best baby pics!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Absolutely DARLING!!!
Those curtains are amazing, and that hat is too cute!

Heather said...

you are way talented, do you know that?!

Leslie said...

Oh they look great! I love the hat!!!

Jeni said...

THAT HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen anything so cute!

Southern Fried Gal said...

CUTE hat - that is adorable!

julie said...

oh! the nursery is beautiful! you did a wonderful job! soon it will be even sweeter with him home!

HeathahLee said...

Love, love, love those curtains!

newmanfamily said...

Thanks so much for the how-to! I made one little curtain for my desk area. Very simple but maybe I will be a bit more ambitious next time. And one of my friends from Bible study after seeing it said, "Do you read Bless Our Nest? She just did the same thing" Too funny!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Cutest hat ever!! Lovin' the curtains!

CarolinaGirl said...

You just need to come to FL and decorate my nursery! I will even pay for your flight :)