Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Song

The Old Rugged Cross
George Bennard

On a hill far away Stood an old rugged cross;
The emblem of suffering and shame.
And I love that old cross Where the dearest and best,
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, So despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God, Left His glory above,
To bear it to dark Calvary.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true,
It's shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me some day To my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

George Bennard was born in Ohio, shortly after the Civil War. He later moved to Iowa with his family where he became a Christian through the ministry of the Salvation Army. Eventually, he moved to Chicago and married. After he was ordained by the Methodist Episcopal church he became a traveling evangelist. He desired to to better understand the power of the cross. After studying the cross for several months, he wrote and sung "The Old Rugged Cross" for his friends. They were so moved they payed all the fees to have it published in in hymnbooks across America.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

12 comments:

hi-d said...

Love it! Such a great song!

Diane said...

I think we're singing this in church today :)

Brittany said...

Love that song!

Alex and Jill said...

Gotta love The Old Rugged Cross!

You're 15 weeks today!! :)

TCKK said...

That is such a beautiful old hymn.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Love this song!

Kait said...

I think I need to find this song!

Heather said...

oh Shannon, one of my favs!! It tugs at my heart everytime I hear it.

Cheryl B. said...

I stopped by your blog to verify that you were still hosting your Sunday "theme day".

In case you aren't sure why I would do that, please first go here: http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911712/today--/
and then read this one:
http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911311/sept-theme-days/

I see that you are still doing yours so I shall leave it on the lists :-D

THANKS!!!
Cheryl B.

Tracy said...

i love this song. it makes me think of my mother....she passed away a year and a half ago, and wanted this played at her funeral. i have been looking for a version of it that sounds really good on cd...any thoughts? read your blog often, have never commented. congrats on the baby. i have a two and a half year old...they are pure joy!

Emma and Company said...

One of my favorites!! An oldie, but goodie for sure!!

tanner25 said...

great song...love it.