Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Song

This Is My Father's World
Maltbie D. Babcock

This is my Father's World, And to my list'ning ears;
All nature sings and round me rings The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world; I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's World; The birds their carols raise.
The morning light, the lily white, Declare their Maker's praise;
This is my Father's World; He shines in all that's fair,
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's World, O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's World; Th battle is not done;
Jesus, who died, shall be satisfied, And earth and heav'n be one.

Maltbie D. Babcock seemed to be excellent at everything he did. He was from an aristocratic family and had a great personality. He was a great athlete and also played several instruments. To top it off, he was proficient vocalist and loved to go fishing. However, God called him to the ministry and he became the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Lockport, New York. He loved to go running and would often tell his secretary that he was "going out to see my Father's World." When he was 42, his current church, Brick Presbyterian Church in New York City, gave him a trip to the "Holy Land." Unfortunately in Naples, Italy, he caught a deadly bacterial fever and died on May 18, 1901. His wife put all of his writings into a book, Thoughts for Everyday Living, and published it in 1901.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

7 comments:

Esther@EnchantedBungalow said...

I just found your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it! I am a grandma who loves to decorate and make home comfy! I wish you well and am praying for you with your new little one. How about Webster for a name?

Sunny said...

Hey, Shannon. I've been thinking about you. I love your new little ticker under your profile for how far along you are. Your comments have been precious to me, so I just wanted you to know. Thank you.

Kim said...

Shannon, we sing this song every morning (sort of like our theme song) before we start school. It is the most precious sound to hear my children sing together. Blessings!

Jennifer said...

I just wanted to tell you have much I love seeing that ticker on the side of your blog! It made me happy! :)

hi-d said...

Interesting story. That's sad that he died so young, but sounds like he lived a full life!

Kim said...

Shannon,

Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm so excited for you. I'm a long time lurker & love your blog.

Lanie's Life said...

I love this song!!! It is one that I listen to over and over! I'm glad you like it too and shared it with everyone!!!