Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Song

Count Your Blessings
Johnson Oatman, Jr.

When upon life's billows You are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged Thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings Name them one by one,
And it will surprise you What the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened With a load of car,
Does the cross seem heavy You are called to bear.
Count your many blessings Every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing As the days go by.

When you look at others With their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised You His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings Money cannot buy,
Your reward in heaven Nor your home on high.

So amid the conflict Whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged God is over all.
Count your many blessings Angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Johnson Oatman, Jr. was born in New Jersey. His father was said to have the best singing voice in the East. In 1892, with the memory of his father singing in church, Johnson began writing hymns. He averaged 200 hymns a year with a total of 5,000 during his lifetime! He wrote "Count Your Blessings" to teach young people that when when you are thankful it is impossible to be grumpy or critical.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

9 comments:

Jeni said...

I love to sing this song. I was just singing it yesterday while thinking up something for a Thanksgiving stitchery or cards. It's such a happy tune too.

Brittany said...

I love this uplifting hymn!

I have a pillow on our bed that says, "what a grand world this would be if we could forget our troubles as easily as we forget our blessings." So true!

Brittany said...

Oh yeah, and sometimes I sing this to Rhett and say, "Count your many blessings, name them one by one: Rhett and Jeremy and Wylie and Rip-kun." (our dogs) ha! :)

arkie said...

Every time I hear this song, I think of an older lady that when singing this song, would stand up and start counting backwards from 100 every time the chorus was sung. She always made it pretty far by the end of the song. She said she did this because she was counting her blessings and wanted everyone to know how blessed she was by the Lord.

Richella said...

I grew up singing this song, and I still love it. One summer when I was a camp counselor, I made this song the basis for a devotional talk I gave to each group of new campers. It's amazing the difference it can make in our outlook if we'll take the time to count our blessings. "Every good and perfect gift is from above." Thank God.

Christy said...

I had this hymn in my head all day! I was actually hoping we would sing it this morning in church. How funny.

Amy said...

I love this one, and this is a great reminder to sing it with the children! Thanks!

hi-d said...

Good lyrics!

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

Wilson?