Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Song

I Surrender All
Judson W. Van De Venter

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Wordly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

I surrender all, I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me Savior wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

I surrender all, I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee.
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessings fall on me.

I surrender all, I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

Rev. J. W. Van De Venter was born in 1855 in Michigan. He had a passion for art and music. He accepted Christ as his Savior at age 17 and the graduated from college. He became an art teacher and was also very involved in his church choir. He felt the tug in his heart to give up his profession for full time evangelical work. Remembering his decision to go into the ministry, he wrote "I Surrender All". He began teaching hymnology at Florida Bible Institute in 1923. In the 1930's Billy Graham was a student and said that "the Rev. J. W. Van De Venter was one of the evangelists who influenced my early preaching..."

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

19 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this song. It holds a special place in my heart!

Hope you're enjoying a happy weekend!

~Michelle :)

Sunny said...

First, I wanted to thank you for such a sweet comment on my blog. You know how there are some blog people that you just love to go and read about, but then some blog people that you feel a heart connection with? I've felt that heart connection with you. Thank you again for your sweet prayers and comments!

Growing up southern baptist, this song was always sung at alter time after the sermon. It reminds me so much of my childhood!

Cherit said...

Shannon,
This has to be my favorite hymn. I remember singing it in the church I grew up in. Very special memories! Also, I wanted to congratulate you on your very exciting news.

Best Wishes!
Cheri

Vashti said...

all time fav! makes me cry every time we sing it. Sang it at our wedding. Thanks for sharing.
xx

p.S hows the belly coming along???xxx

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Southern Fried Gal said...

Makes me think of invitation time - what a sweet reminder. Praying lots of folks make the decision to follow Him today!

hi-d said...

So cool to hear the back story of these hymns! I love it. I'm going to have to share this with my Mom, because she is an Organist at her church and loves those hymns (new stuff too). :)

Thanks, Shannon!

linda said...

One of my favorites, always!

Have a great day!

southerninspiration said...

Don't you find (or will begin to find) that you perceive things differently now that you are pregnant? The whole world and all in it will take on new meaning!! I love this song! Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne

Melanieshea said...

Love this song!!! Hope you are having an awesome holiday weekend. Hugs! :o)

Kathy said...

It has been a while since I have been blogging and loved catching up!! Stop by and catch up with me....Kathy

Nicole said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad your starting to feel better. You will be the best little mom, I'm just sooooooo excited for you!

Jennifer said...

We sang this song this evening in church! I love this one! Happy Sweet Sunday to you (and congratulations, Mommy!!)

JanMarie said...

Beautiful hymn. It's a daily challenge to surrender all that we are to Him who loves us most.

I hope you have a wonderful week Shannon!

Angie said...

I hate that I rarely hear these great old hymns anymore. We just sing choruses pretty much at my church. I'm going to have to find a good old school CD with hymns on it to listen to!

CourtneyC said...

Beautiful song!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Oh regarding your comment. I LOVE being a nanny. It is a lot of fun. I really miss the little girl I nannied for 3yrs. Oh well, they do grow up and go to school.

Emily said...

OH! This is one of my favorites. I hope to sing this at church soon.

Karen said...

Very cute!!!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hip-hip hooray! I just found out! I always had a feeling that you and your hubby had been waiting a long time for this day. Congratulations! So glad to hear the morning sickness is not too bad.
Take care of yourself,
M.L.