Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Song

Standing on the Promises
R. Kelso Carter

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Thro' eternal ages Let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior.
Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises That cannot fail,
When the howling storms Of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior.
Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises Of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally By love's strong cord,
Overcoming daily with The Spirit's sword,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior.
Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
List'ning every moment To the Spirit's call,
Resting in my Savior, As my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior.
Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Russell Kelso Carter was born in 1849 in Baltimore. He was surrounded my Christian influences but strayed from his faith until he was fifteen. He then accepted Christ as his Savior but still lived just as he had been living. It wasn't until the summer of 1879, when he almost died due to his diseased heart, that he made the life changing decision to follow Christ. It was real to him then and he was completely healed by the power of God alone.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

13 comments:

Nicole said...

Shannon, I have been so horrible at blogging. I was so saddened to look at your blog and realize that your new sweet niece had passed away. I am so sorry for your family's loss. Being 7 months pregnant I just cannot even begin to imagine what a difficult time your family is going through. I just watched the slide show, wow what a beautiful baby girl! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

randee said...

glad you're back.

you & your family have been in my thoughts & prayers.

peace -

randee

b. said...

beautiful as always!

JanMarie said...

Such comfort is found when we stand on God's promises. He truly is faithful and the one constant in a world full of uncertainties!

Thank you for sharing :)

Cari said...

So happy to see your "Sunday Song" back! This is a great one by the way!

linda said...

Welcome back Shannon! We missed you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful niece. It's such a reassurance to know she is with our Jesus right now.

This Sunday Song was ALWAYS a favorite of mine when I was growing up. I remember being in church and just singing so loudly and smiling. This song just makes me smile...then and now!

Sandra said...

HUGS, Shannon. We as humans cannot comprehend why things happen but rest assure that your precious niece is with the LORD now.
Sandra

Momofgirls said...

Praise God that His promises are worth standing on!

Praying for your sweet family!

Southern Fried Gal said...

One of my favorite hymns! Have a blessed week!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I know you are standing on those promises now. How are you doing?
I remember when I lost our first baby-early on in the pregnancy and my little sister said-I think I have cried as much as you have. It can affect people so deeply. Every time your family pops in my head I stop and pray for you all.

Cheri

MOM OF 2 said...

Glad you are back and blogging. Sorry for your family's loss. I love reading about your projects and seeing the things you find and what you end up doing with them. Did you finish the project with the chalk board paint on those blue tubs?

Lauren and Forrest said...

Your family is in my prayers. Isn't it amazing how old hymns still provide such comforting words.

Melanieshea said...

LOVE this song!!!!!!

Glad to see you are getting back to blogging!!!!

Much Love!!! :o)