Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Song

My Country, 'Tis of Thee
Samuel F. Smith

My country, 'tis of Thee, Sweet land of liberty,
Of Thee I sing: Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountain side Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee, Land of the noble, free,
Thy name I love: I love Thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze, And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song: Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break, The sound prolong.

Our fathers' God, to Thee, Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing: Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might, Great God, our King!
Samuel Smith went to Andover Seminary where he translated hymns from German to English. He was struck by the words of "God Bless our Saxon Land" and immediately felt the need to write a patriotic hymn. He said he finished within half an hour. My Country, 'Tis of Thee was first sung by the Juvenile Choir at a Sunday School Rally on July 4, 1831.

16 comments:

Richella said...

Thank you for posting this! I think most people have never read all the verses. And in these times especially, it's important to remember that there really is something special about this country. I appreciate that you're so open about your love of God and love of country.

Heather said...

Gosh, I can't believe we are nearing July 4th already! Where does the time go? Great song with the upcomiing holiday approaching, thanks for sharing!

Xazmin said...

I love this song! Thanks so much for posting it today!

Kasey said...

beautiful, shannon...
xo

its so very cheri said...

God bless America and please shed your grace on her-we need THEE every hour...
Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

its so very cheri said...

Check out my plate make over
Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Thank You for posting. I was actually singing to it!

Jill said...

One of my all-time favorites!!! a Blessing to read the words again!
Thank you!
Jill

Shanna said...

Just reading this brings a tear to my eye. Because it makes me think that we live in the greatest country around.

JanMarie said...

Happy 4th of July! (almost:)
Thanks for sharing this beautiful song. We do live in a great country!!

Kim said...

I have been singing this song to my younger kids at bedtime lately.

Jen r. said...

Happy July 4th! Jen

shanna said...

I love that song!

Kim said...

Have a Happy 4th of July! Love the new decor!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I hope everything is okay with you--it isn't like you to be quiet for this long!

~ Sarah

number17cherrytreelane said...

A wonderful song. Just wonderful.